Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 02:25 PM
Staff@WORLD
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 215 Likes on 129 Posts
Default World Motorsports R&D vehicle

At World Motorsports we are looking to provide our 991 clients with the best products available for their cars. In order for us to do that we have our own 991 Turbo S that we are using to do development work on and we also use it to test other companies products.

We installed a 4 wheel drive dyno that we also have available for customers to use. If you are interested in doing before and after testing on any of the parts that you install on your car we are more than happy to provide you with that service.

2015 Porsche 991 Turbo S shop vehicle
Name:  PorscheSide.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  156.3 KB

FIRST TEST-
IPD PLENUM
There are a lot of questions about whether the IPD plenum makes a difference or not on the car. What we are looking for is power under the ramp with the IPD plenum. We are not expecting a big jump in peak horsepower but what we are hoping for is an increase in horsepower throughout the entire power band. If we see this than we will consider the IPD plenum to offer good value to our customers and it will become a recommended part at World Motorsports. If it passes the tests we will stock these plenums and have them available for sale and installation.

SECOND TEST
COBB ACCESSPORT
It's nice to finally have this unit available and I know that many people are going to be interested in getting one. We will have results very quickly and I am sure that we will be selling quite a few of these units. Please feel free to give us a call with any questions you may have about these units.

THIRD TEST
EXHAUST-
We are going to start with the extreme exhaust test to see how the 991 Turbo reacts to different combinations.

1st Exhaust Test-
At first we will do a test with a straight pipe that goes directly from the turbo to the tip. We will test this on a stock tune and with the newly available tune from Cobb. We will test on 91 Octane and 100 Octane.

2nd Exhaust Test-
Then we will test the stock muffler with a cat delete pipe.

3rd Exhaust Test-
We will also test the car with the stock cats and the muffler deleted.

FOURTH TEST
LARGER INTERCOOLER
We have made several intercooler kits for the car that use different style cores, end tanks, hose kits, etc. We are waiting to find out which one works best and then we will continue development on that one. Our goals with the intercooler are for it to fit using all of the factory components and be efficient enough to work with a fairly stock car but stout enough to be able to handle bigger turbos and higher boost down the road.

TESTING TIMETABLE

IPD PLENUM-
FRIDAY, AUGUST 7th

COBB ACCESSPORT-
TUESDAY, AUGUST 11

EXHAUST 1-
FRIDAY, AUGUST 14
EXHAUST 2-
TUESDAY, AUGUST 18
EXHAUST 3
FRIDAY, AUGUST 21

INTERCOOLER TEST-
STARTING THE WEEK OF AUGUST 24

On all tests we will measure Horsepower, Torque, Air/Fuel Ratio, Ignition Timing, Boost and Intake Air Temperature.
- Akrapovic - BMC - TechArt - H&R - By Design - AMS - CSF - Kline - NGK - TiLugs - HRE - M Engineering - ID Injectors -
FULL SERVICE INSTALLATION FACILITY - STATE OF THE ART WIND TUNNEL DYNO - ECU TUNING
WORLD-MOTORSPORTS.COM
Old 08-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Staff@WORLD
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We had a few members from Rennlist asking us about our intercooler upgrades that we are working on. They all asked me to compare them to what Champion Motorsports is working on. My answer to that is that I have no way to compare them because I have no idea what Champion Motorsports is doing. Champion Motorsports has been making really nice parts for a long time and they have been supporting the Porsche community for a long time as well. I am sure that whatever they are making for the car is gong to be great.

We are in the earliest of stages with our intercooler upgrades. We are testing 7 different types of cores that are all being made in the same size. The difference between them all is in how dense the cooling fins are inside the intercooler and the configuration that they are in that allows them to be more or less dense. The denser the intercooler is the lower the outlet temperature will be and the more pressure loss you will have across the intercooler. We are trying to find the perfect combination of charge air cooling and pressure loss. Every core we are testing has been custom built for this particular set up.

We will test air temperature in and out on each one as well as boost pressure in and out of each one as well. We will also be testing the stock intercooler so that we have a starting point. All of our test intercoolers are a lot larger than the factory intercooler. so we may be able to get a better cooling effect with a less dense intercooler which would provide less pressure loss. The test intercooler cores are 47% larger than stock.

Our intercoolers will also utilize the factory hose from the turbocharger. All of the intercoolers that we have been building for the Mercedes have been utilizing these connections so we are very familiar with how to make them work with our aftermarket intercoolers.

We will begin testing at the end of this month and I would say that all the tests should take about 3 weeks. At that time we should have a very good handle about what will work very well on this car and we will have very hard data to back that up. I would expect we will have the first run of units available about 2 months after that for sale. Our first run will be a limited run of 10 sets just to make sure that the fitment is perfect before we do a bigger production run.

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  328.1 KB

Name:  image3.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  376.0 KB

Name:  image4.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  347.7 KB

Name:  image5.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  367.8 KB
Old 08-11-2015, 12:13 AM
Scarafin
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did the IPD Plenum testing go?

Cheers,
Scar
Old 08-11-2015, 07:51 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

Champions intercoolers design is finished. They are now just awaiting final production design parts to be manufactured, and start deliverys, which should be very soon.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:57 PM
Staff@WORLD
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Scarafin
How did the IPD Plenum testing go?

Cheers,
Scar
The testing went well on our car but our numbers on our dyno are way off what we have seen other tuners get so we are checking that. Our car dynode at 408 horsepower to the wheels on our dyno and others are reporting upwards of 490 horsepower to the wheels on a stock vehicle.

Now, we understand that dyno numbers are not the same from dyno to dyno but we would not have expected to see as great a variation as we are seeing. We are going to take our car to one of Cobb's dyno just to assure that the numbers we are seeing are correct.

I want to make sure that the numbers I release are genuine and I do not want anyone to think that we are fluffing any numbers in order to make a product look better or worse. I apologize for this but I hope you have some patience so that what I show you guys will be legitimate numbers that you can help base your purchasing decisions on.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:45 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What you are reporting doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I only need reflect back on my own IPD experience. No wonder the thing is bundled up all the time. Some of you guys just need to stop chasing rainbows. Has anyone ever asked themselves the hard question why Porsche doesn't use this design instead of redeveloping the entire engine to achieve the same claimed power increase?
Old 08-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Staff@WORLD
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by speed21
What you are reporting doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I only need reflect back on my own IPD experience. No wonder the thing is bundled up all the time. Some of you guys just need to stop chasing rainbows. Has anyone ever asked themselves the hard question why Porsche doesn't use this design instead of redeveloping the entire engine to achieve the same claimed power increase?
My issues are not with the testing of the IPD plenum, my issues are with the stock testing. Like I said earlier, I am not going to manipulate any number in order to sell a product or make something look good. I am going to report real numbers, I just want to make sure that my stock numbers are correct and in line with what they should be.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:58 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Staff@WORLD
My issues are not with the testing of the IPD plenum, my issues are with the stock testing. Like I said earlier, I am not going to manipulate any number in order to sell a product or make something look good. I am going to report real numbers, I just want to make sure that my stock numbers are correct and in line with what they should be.
Understand the engine is currently reading as down on stock HP but surely there is some improvement to report with the IPD fitted? Or did it fall back even more?
Old 08-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Staff@WORLD
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by speed21
Understand the engine is currently reading as down on stock HP but surely there is some improvement to report with the IPD fitted? Or did it fall back even more?
No, the engine is still stock.

We have spent the last 10 days fabricating intercooler kits for the car so we though that their may be a boost leak but we have tested for that and the car runs the full 18lbs. of boost on sport mode like you would expect.

We were just doing the before modifications test and that is where we are troubled.

If the IPD plenum makes less than horsepower than stock, that is what I will be showing.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:21 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

*BUMP*
any new updates to report?

Quick Reply: World Motorsports R&D vehicle