"Fault of allwheel drive system"

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 12:26 PM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Fault of allwheel drive system"

Hey guys,

Posting for a friend. His 991 TT-S threw this error today. Car won't go into Sport mode. Any ideas? I did a search both here on RL and on Google, but can't seem to find much.

Also, he can't take it to the dealer because the car is a parallel import and Porsche in this country has a policy against servicing cars not purchased thru them. (I know, that's a controversial policy, but it is what it is and please take it as a given).

If something needed to be replaced, he would need to import the parts himself and have an independent garage do the install. So the first step is diagnosis...

Name:  7d6Ht5T.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  158.2 KB

Name:  VdMX8kq.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  159.7 KB

thanks in advance!
Old 07-23-2015, 10:47 PM
NorthvilleStig
Instructor

Ouch ... The first thing I do after starting is sport mode.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:11 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the precise reason why there is a campaign to change the AWD control unit. An error code can appear showing a problem within the AWD when there actually isn't. It's to do with a faulty sensor in the actual control unit. Mine was done a month back now but did not manifest the problem when it was in my car thankfully. Campaign is WE89 if that helps. If the dealers where you are will not help then you will need to purchase the unit yourself.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:14 PM
worldattorney
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has he already disconnected/reconnected the battery to see if it was an electronic glitch that can be 'cleared'?
Old 07-23-2015, 11:23 PM
speed21
Banned

^ It is worth a try and hopefully it will work as a temporary measure.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:49 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

A repair shop should be able to buy the parts from the dealer if needed. Also, I'd try a different dealer. If it's agreed up front that it is not covered by warranty, most shops would take the money to work on it.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:14 PM
hesperus
Racer

Originally Posted by Randyc151
A repair shop should be able to buy the parts from the dealer if needed. Also, I'd try a different dealer. If it's agreed up front that it is not covered by warranty, most shops would take the money to work on it.
Unfortunately there's no different dealer here, because technically there is only one importer into this country, and that importer owns all the dealerships. so yeah, as long as you didn't buy your car from them (i.e., it was a parallel import,) you're out of luck.

thanks for all the inputs though; i think my friend has enough info to go on.

looks like he'll need to source the ECU from the middle east, which is where the car was originally sold.

cheers!
Old 07-25-2015, 05:43 PM
worldattorney
Instructor

Originally Posted by hesperus
Unfortunately there's no different dealer here, because technically there is only one importer into this country, and that importer owns all the dealerships. so yeah, as long as you didn't buy your car from them (i.e., it was a parallel import,) you're out of luck.

looks like he'll need to source the ECU from the middle east, which is where the car was originally sold.

cheers!
PCNA is the importer but each dealership is individually owned and operated.

Throwing the "Fault of All-Wheel Drive" code could be connected to half a dozen items (or more). The problem is more likely in one of the modules rather than the ECU and therefore, without skilled diagnosis, changing-out the ECU is really just a shot in the dark. He is best off getting a Durametric first, reseting the codes, then troubleshooting before sourcing an ECU. When he's done with the DM, it can be either resold on eBay or kept around if he ever needs it again (like when he needs to reset his service light after an oil change.)
Old 07-25-2015, 07:05 PM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you stoked, waiting for your TTS? I can tell you - it's worth the wait!! I love this car! All of my parts including the wheels are now in and getting installed next week. Can't wait!
Old 07-25-2015, 08:08 PM
worldattorney
Instructor

Originally Posted by FBA
Are you stoked, waiting for your TTS? I can tell you - it's worth the wait!! I love this car! All of my parts including the wheels are now in and getting installed next week. Can't wait!
You mean the car I'm picking up in 2months4days9hours from now? The one that Jamie just sent me route suggestions for the 2 weeks we will be driving it thru Europe? Nah, I haven't been thinking at it at all...
Old 07-25-2015, 08:20 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by hesperus

cheers!
No offence intended OP but to import a car like this without any future means of being able to get official updates done is crazy IMO. There have been a number of updates already and whilst the control module changeout is the latest it is unlikely to be the last update required. Porsche is continuously making improvements to the car and you need to be able to have then done! Did you buy it new in the M.E? If so surely the dealer there can communicate with the official dealers here to have the works done. You surely aren't the first owner to relocate, countries, bringing your beloved P car along with you.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:27 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by worldattorney
Throwing the "Fault of All-Wheel Drive" code could be connected to half a dozen items (or more). The problem is more likely in one of the modules rather than the ECU and therefore, without skilled diagnosis, changing-out the ECU is really just a shot in the dark.
The faulty module is within the AWD control unit itself, hence why it has to be changed out. When mine was changed out I enquired the specific details on the fault itself (which took time for the dealer to get the info from HQ) and OP has the exact symptoms. So I can safely assure changing the AWD control unit is no shot in the dark. It is located in the front luggage compartment...
Old 07-25-2015, 09:01 PM
worldattorney
Instructor

Originally Posted by speed21
The faulty module is within the AWD control unit itself, hence why it has to be changed out. When mine was changed out I enquired the specific details on the fault itself (which took time for the dealer to get the info from HQ) and OP has the exact symptoms. So I can safely assure changing the AWD control unit is no shot in the dark. It is located in the front luggage compartment...
OP said "ECU" which is the entire car's brain...the AWD control unit is a sub-system control module
Old 07-25-2015, 09:08 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by worldattorney
OP said "ECU" which is the entire car's brain...the AWD control unit is a sub-system control module
Understand. Seems then he is on the wrong track. Not much I or anyone can do about that really. Over to him as they say. I still can't believe how anyone can bring a car out with no means of official service or problem solving/resolution etc. If it was bought second hand with intentions of saving against buying locally then the car would want to have been verrrrry cheap!! i.e Scrap dollars.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:15 PM
worldattorney
Instructor

In addition, it may not be the AWD control unit. It could be a single wheel sensor...or a plug that came off off, or a fuse, or a system temperature sensor, or at least 10 other things...We are diagnosing from a readout on the dashboard, not specific codes. Some fault codes (as defined by the vehicle engineers) only have to trigger once to put the car in a sort of 'limp' mode or limit certain functionality until repaired...others need to trigger a certain number of times over a give time period or number of drive cycles.

The proper procedure is to first pull the codes, then clear the codes, then conduct a 'guided-fault find' using a computer, then replace/repair whatever is listed in the first code that 'pops', then clear, then repeat until no more codes come up. It is very rare that a single code will ever come up by itself, that is why we always start with the first then fix then retest until all clear.

(My background is expert witness preparation and strategy in criminal trials that involve automobiles. Besides building and modifying street and race cars as both a hobby and professional (a long time ago), I specialized in vehicle engine management systems, electrical systems and electronics)

Quick Reply: "Fault of allwheel drive system"