Sponsored by: Road Spy

"Fault of allwheel drive system"

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 09:19 PM
worldattorney
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speed21
Understand. Seems then he is on the wrong track. Not much I or anyone can do about that really. Over to him as they say. I still can't believe how anyone can bring a car out with no means of official service or problem solving/resolution etc. If it was bought second hand with intentions of saving against buying locally then the car would want to have been verrrrry cheap!! i.e Scrap dollars.
Your point is dead-on. Having any car that was made post 1999 without a way to update/repair is a very risky and expensive proposition.

I think that his best course is to first get anyone who knows how to diagnose, then run through the procedure and find out what, if anything is bad. Then, if he can't find a Porsche dealer to touch it, get a skilled out-of-warranty Porsche (non-dealership) shop/technician to order the parts at the local dealer and make the repairs.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:33 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by worldattorney
In addition, it may not be the AWD control unit. It could be a single wheel sensor...or a plug that came off off, or a fuse, or a system temperature sensor, or at least 10 other things...We are diagnosing from a readout on the dashboard, not specific codes. Some fault codes (as defined by the vehicle engineers) only have to trigger once to put the car in a sort of 'limp' mode or limit certain functionality until repaired...others need to trigger a certain number of times over a give time period or number of drive cycles.

The proper procedure is to first pull the codes, then clear the codes, then conduct a 'guided-fault find' using a computer, then replace/repair whatever is listed in the first code that 'pops', then clear, then repeat until no more codes come up. It is very rare that a single code will ever come up by itself, that is why we always start with the first then fix then retest until all clear.

(My background is expert witness preparation and strategy in criminal trials that involve automobiles. Besides building and modifying street and race cars as both a hobby and professional (a long time ago), I specialized in vehicle engine management systems, electrical systems and electronics)
You do make good points and i respect that. I OTOH are merely reporting say so, assuming Porsche have done their homework thoroughly with this particular fault code to establish the exact cause (you could only hope) and have provided the final resolution after examining/testing all potential culprits. Incidentally the modification to the new control unit (again so I'm told) is merely the deactivation of the "faulty sensor/module" only. There is apparently nothing at all wrong with the actual AWD control units main software or the mechanical inner workings of the AWD but once the faulty sensor/module triggers a fault code there are certain knock on effects to the inter related systems such as SC.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:00 PM
worldattorney
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do make good points and i respect that. I OTOH are merely reporting say so, assuming Porsche have done their homework thoroughly with this particular fault code to establish the exact cause (you could only hope) and have provided the final resolution after examining/testing all potential culprits. Incidentally the modification to the new control unit (again so I'm told) is merely the deactivation of the "faulty sensor/module" only. There is apparently nothing at all wrong with the actual AWD control units main software or the mechanical inner workings of the AWD but once the faulty sensor/module triggers a fault code there are certain knock on effects to the inter related systems such as SC.
Thankfully yours was sorted out before it became a problem...and by the time they build my MY2016, they will be REALLY good at it and all design issues will be squared away
Old 07-25-2015, 10:27 PM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mean the car I'm picking up in 2months4days9hours from now? The one that Jamie just sent me route suggestions for the 2 weeks we will be driving it thru Europe? Nah, I haven't been thinking at it at all...
Oh, ok...I couldn't tell..was just making sure -

I wanna hear all about it once you've driven her - wherever it ends up being driven 1st. I have this ****-faced grin from ear to ear each time I board.

I have a few Ford GT's, one of them running over 1000 HP, and although it's brutally quick/ fast with a top end I'll likely never see in this lifetime, and it garners more attention than Pamela Anderson's *****, it's not the same as driving the TTS. Go figger!
Old 07-26-2015, 12:12 AM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Erm... really appreciate all the help guys.

First of all, please don't shoot the messenger. it's not my car, but it belongs to a good friend of mine.

secondly, parallel imports are very common here. that's because of the massive price delta between an official import and a parallel one. for instance, a brand new 991 TT-S costs approx $US 370k here from the dealer. a grey market import would run just over $300k.

some people are willing to take the risk. and they do this with eyes wide open. obviously with a very new model-- especially as cars get more complex-- where some bugs are being ironed out, the risk can be greater.

in some cases, people fly in service technicians from overseas. for example, there's no Mclaren dealership here. so Mclaren Hong Kong sends their guy in with the tools and computers, etc. of course the cost is over $1k per day... LOL
Old 07-26-2015, 04:54 AM
speed21
Banned

Thankfully yours was sorted out before it became a problem...and by the time they build my MY2016, they will be REALLY good at it and all design issues will be squared away
Let's hope huh. And I bet you cant wait!'
Old 07-26-2015, 04:59 AM
pyramid
Racer

Originally Posted by hesperus
in some cases, people fly in service technicians from overseas. for example, there's no Mclaren dealership here. so Mclaren Hong Kong sends their guy in with the tools and computers, etc. of course the cost is over $1k per day... LOL
I cannot believe there is no non official workshop in Hongkong that has PIWIS.
Perhaps persuating official techs over mainland china is a visible alternative for your friend. Good luck
Old 07-26-2015, 05:11 AM
speed21
Banned

Erm... really appreciate all the help guys.

First of all, please don't shoot the messenger. it's not my car, but it belongs to a good friend of mine.

secondly, parallel imports are very common here. that's because of the massive price delta between an official import and a parallel one. for instance, a brand new 991 TT-S costs approx $US 370k here from the dealer. a grey market import would run just over $300k.

some people are willing to take the risk. and they do this with eyes wide open. obviously with a very new model-- especially as cars get more complex-- where some bugs are being ironed out, the risk can be greater.

Wow!! Interesting to hear that he was prepared to pay over 300 with all the risks!! IMO a saving of 70 on a 370 car is really not worth that level of risk. You have the hit at sell time where a grey has very limited attraction and always worth waaay less than a local car. At 370 I would have though the saving would need to be at least 170 or more. Oh well... he isn't exactly off to a great start and I sure hope he is able to get it sorted out without losing his trousers and god only knows what else in the process. It would be horrible being stuck in his current predicament...soory to hear.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:47 AM
hesperus
Racer

Originally Posted by pyramid
I cannot believe there is no non official workshop in Hongkong that has PIWIS.
Sorry, i'm in the Philippines. if this were Hong Kong, i'm sure you're right! My friend just heard of an independent shop that MAY have the PIWIS for the 991TT. he's checking it out this week.

Wow!! Interesting to hear that he was prepared to pay over 300 with all the risks!! IMO a saving of 70 on a 370 car is really not worth that level of risk. You have the hit at sell time where a grey has very limited attraction and always worth waaay less than a local car. At 370 I would have though the saving would need to be at least 170 or more
you're right re: the risk assessment IMO. but i suppose everyone finds different ways of doing their own "man maths". there were other factors in this case-- for example, the officially available cars are relatively "bare" (insofar as a TT-S can be considered bare) and the grey market car he got had just about every option ticked off. probably more important was the nature of the deal-- the grey market dealer took his previous ride in on a straight up swap, saving him the time and effort of having to sell his old car. YMMV of course.

on his behalf, thanks to everyone who chimed in. FWIW, i'll report how he gets on!
Old 07-26-2015, 01:36 PM
pyramid
Racer

Sorry, i'm in the Philippines. if this were Hong Kong, i'm sure you're right! My friend just heard of an independent shop that MAY have the PIWIS for the 991TT. he's checking it out this week.
Good for him. The 3.8 turbo engine on 991 is not entirely new tech, not something earthshaking to worry about big warranty repairs, especially with that usd70k savings + better optioned car. I would have tuned the car if I were him.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:49 PM
speed21
Banned

you're right re: the risk assessment IMO. but i suppose everyone finds different ways of doing their own "man maths". there were other factors in this case-- for example, the officially available cars are relatively "bare" (insofar as a TT-S can be considered bare) and the grey market car he got had just about every option ticked off. probably more important was the nature of the deal-- the grey market dealer took his previous ride in on a straight up swap, saving him the time and effort of having to sell his old car. YMMV of course.

on his behalf, thanks to everyone who chimed in. FWIW, i'll report how he gets on!
Thanks for the background on it hesperus. A straight swap has its advantages - depending upon what you are swapping and what the trade is worth in the open market. Anyway, keen to hear how he gets on and of course love to see some pics of it knowing how the fillipinos love to accessorize
Old 07-27-2015, 05:05 AM
hesperus
Racer

Anyway, keen to hear how he gets on and of course love to see some pics of it knowing how the fillipinos love to accessorize
well the car was featured on CNN last week. i helped them put together a show for a motoring segment with some runway pulls

Name:  zdj5tBU.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  284.9 KB

Name:  sGXHDp6.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  118.1 KB

Name:  KTOtWYc.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  103.6 KB

Name:  uUoEqDT.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  84.9 KB