Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Why doesn't Porsche offer this??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 01:14 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Why doesn't Porsche offer this??

Sorry if this has been discussed before. But why doesn't Porsche offer a turbo with a more aggressive stance? I see so many talking about lowering, wheels and exhaust mods asap. I did this on a 997tt and just wish Porsche would offer a stock tt with a gts or gt3 stance and sound(I know turbo will never sound like a gt3). Why can't they offer a lower turbo, a wheel that off sets closer to the edge and a pse exhaust? If I was in the market for a tt I would pay the extra $ for the option or options. Would you?
Old 07-18-2015, 01:30 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Compliance to safety and design rules is my take on it. I do hear you though.
Desirably the 991tts would come with a ride height similar to GT3 but with a lift kit as standard, regardless of the retractable front spoiler. Being the everyday super car, a drop of @ 10 to15mm against the current height would achieve a look that would satisfy most imo. 30mm looks too dropped to me on a TT but each to his own there, just MHO. Lower works on a GT3 but it is less of what you would fairly call an "everyday" super car iykwim and you need to retain a level of practicality.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:45 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
Sorry if this has been discussed before. But why doesn't Porsche offer a turbo with a more aggressive stance? I see so many talking about lowering, wheels and exhaust mods asap. I did this on a 997tt and just wish Porsche would offer a stock tt with a gts or gt3 stance and sound(I know turbo will never sound like a gt3). Why can't they offer a lower turbo, a wheel that off sets closer to the edge and a pse exhaust? If I was in the market for a tt I would pay the extra $ for the option or options. Would you?
Not me, I bought the tts for what it is.
If i'm in the market for race styled Porsche, I'll go straight to the RS instead of the base GT3.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:48 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Being the everyday super car, a drop of @ 10 to15mm against the current height would ...
... make it completely useless in any part of the world without billiard table-smooth roads, with speed bumps and/or dips.

"Stance". Meh. Function following form. The sign of someone who wants to be passed on the track.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:49 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Not enough demand in this market segment I expect, otherwise they still would.

But if they they did.... it would be called GT2 or GT2RS.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:51 AM
Fred Flintstone
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm aligned with Pyramid. I bought TTS for what it is. Also, I'm not nearly the enthusiast that most here are. I think a lot of you like to modify these "already nearly perfect" cars - because it's fun and its part of the hobby that you enjoy. And, I think some people like to tweak their cars just so they can be 1 more level of unique or have just a little something extra to differentiate from the rest. I suppose if I knew more about cars and had the time I might try to do some modifications. But, I'm not really motivated for any performance reason to change anything. I don't want a loud car that will attract attention. I love that the TTS is quiet and stealthy.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:58 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Why doesn't Porsche offer this??

Originally Posted by worf928
... make it completely useless in any part of the world without billiard table-smooth roads, with speed bumps and/or dips.

"Stance". Meh. Function following form. The sign of someone who wants to be passed on the track.
Agreed. Done power mods but not touching the suspension or ride height -- especially given that I live in NYC.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:56 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Originally Posted by Fred Flintstone
I'm aligned with Pyramid. I bought TTS for what it is. Also, I'm not nearly the enthusiast that most here are. I think a lot of you like to modify these "already nearly perfect" cars - because it's fun and its part of the hobby that you enjoy. And, I think some people like to tweak their cars just so they can be 1 more level of unique or have just a little something extra to differentiate from the rest. I suppose if I knew more about cars and had the time I might try to do some modifications. But, I'm not really motivated for any performance reason to change anything. I don't want a loud car that will attract attention. I love that the TTS is quiet and stealthy.
Ditto!
Old 07-18-2015, 01:06 PM
FBA
Racer

A 30 MM suspension drop won't adversely affect the ride comfort - and I live in Quebec, with roads far worse than NY. It may be an issue where I have to pay more attention to bad roads and nasty bumps/ potholes, but I doubt it's have much effect on ride comfort. I'll know more in a few weeks when I'm done!
Old 07-18-2015, 02:03 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not mind a lower ride height on the Turbo if they made the front spoiler an easy, relatively inexpensive thing to replace for wear and tear, not a $5000 or whatever pneumatic ultra expensive piece of equipment.

I don't have the luxury of living or driving in an area that is free of potholes, high speed bumps and other risks to the front spoiler, so the stock height is fine for me.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:23 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
I would not mind a lower ride height on the Turbo if they made the front spoiler an easy, relatively inexpensive thing to replace for wear and tear, not a $5000 or whatever pneumatic ultra expensive piece of equipment. I don't have the luxury of living or driving in an area that is free of potholes, high speed bumps and other risks to the front spoiler, so the stock height is fine for me.
For the same reasons, I let the auto deploy feature do its thing and only manually deploy the spoilers when I'm relatively certain of the road conditions. Cool piece of kit but expensive.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:57 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

In some of my DD activities I just scrape bottom going up some inclines. 5 mm lower would be a disaster since I am bottoming out as it is. I just take it very slow and try to angle it but I am touching. In a GT3 without the optional front riser mechanism I would not be able to DD the car. Hope Porsche NEVER considers lowering the Turbos.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:51 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...s-porsche-exec

For those prepared to wait for the GT2...

Agree with most here the new car is certainly very low to the ground as it is. The conjecture regarding the wheel gaps is really only a body design issue. You can see that when you view the radius of the wheel against the radius of the guards. Currently, both radii match perfectly with one another on the TT/TTS whereas on the GT3 where the body has been further lowered both radii no longer match with one another. The lower the body is sat against the wheels the more obvious it becomes that the car has been "dropped". This is why I feel 30mm makes the car look unnatural from a lot of angles.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:08 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

I like the Turbo for what it is.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:19 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

I'd buy the lower option, the nicer looking wheel option, and especially the sport seat option. Since almost none of us can get a GT3 RS, I'd like to be able to buy my Turbo S with these options. Since I can't, I've done it myself. To each his own!

Quick Reply: Why doesn't Porsche offer this??