Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Why do so many people dislike the 991 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 12:56 PM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jealousy...and mostly a lot of haters who own far less expensive cars that perform like a TTS in the 1/4 mile, at a fraction of the price. I'm an American car guy, with very high HP Vette's Viper's, FGT's SRT's, trucks etc...and I love all of them but, this TTS I just paid 260K CDN OTD, simply can't be compared to my sub 100K cars, no matter how much I love 'em and how well they perform. Even my FGT's, which are the greatest automobiles in-class ever from Detroit, aren't a TTS and while they're worth more and are appreciating assets, they are not a TTS.

The TTS does everything well with little to no compromise. It's the perfect DD and can be as tame as a pussycat, or as tough as a lion. My only complaint, is the uber-quiet exhaust, and the fugly wheels which for a few bucks, have been addressed. Other than that, it's the perfect car, for me.

There's always bigger, faster and stronger out there, and I could care less. I do know that when I launch this thing - some douche in their Z06 or Viper is going have to work twice as hard and be 4 times as skilled to even try and catch this thing off the line, trying to move their stick while I'm in "D" with my foot to the floor, calm and relaxed, watching them eat my dust, then posting their "kill" on the boards somewhere with the rest of the fanboys.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:05 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Ironically, I got the Turbo because I wanted it relatively low key. I figured that to most people, it would be just another 911 that non-enthusiasts would perceive as all looking pretty much the same. Blend in with the other thousands of 911s made over the last fifty years, right? Instead, I get pedestrians pointing at the car while I'm waiting at stop lights, and others snapping photos with their smartphones. On a recent trip to the grocery store, I was asked if I could take somebody's pic next to the car! And it's not like I live in some remote area where no one ever sees nice cars. Of course, at C&Cs, people ignore the Turbo and flock to the Ferraris.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:26 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I get lots of requests for me to snap a picture of someone next to my car. I was parked at a cruise terminal waiting for a friend to debark to have lunch with me and at least 20 crew members (European) came over and snapped away on their iPhones.

Was at the Dealer last week getting some work done and need to run a few errands so they gave me a slightly used 991 4S to use. Not to be consescending but after driving Turbos, 400 HP just did not do it for me. It felt real sluggish and heavy and slow. The Turbo S is cery deceiving because it is not a light weight but the freaking torque takes that heaviness feeling away because it feels light to me. My Audi R8 V10 Spyder felt very heavy and from Day 1 it never felt right. The Turbo's power is very addicting and I will never beable to step down again.

Curious about the power/torque in the new gen P Cars with turbo engines. The Turbo S will have over 600 HP! Yeah.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:06 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default A few of other answers to OP's question...

1) It is just another 911 (noted in other replies).
2) It does not look or sound radical.
3) Auto journalists fell all over themselves with reviews of how it did everything extremely well, but they just did not "love" it. This despite 50+ consecutive launch control starts without over heating or going to safe mode, one of the fastest cars in the quarter mile, faster at the same track (on stock P Zeros) with the same driver than the 991 GT3, pulled more lateral G's than the GT3 in the same German car mag comparison, etc.
4) Grudging praise for the PDK, even though McLaren, Ferrari and Lamborghini all have only PDK now.
5) Jealousy quotient, especially from those who have run with TTS's at HPDE's.

Quick Reply: Why do so many people dislike the 991 turbo?