Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Hot Laps at COTA Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 01:29 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

@boxer-11: Thanks again. The SC HD w AIM looks the better solution.
@wrs: came across this on a search here. https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...hd-review.html
Some interesting takes between the offerings...
Old 07-15-2015, 09:51 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

I started with the SC GP in the Radical and upgraded to the HD version a couple weeks ago because of the poor resolution offered by the original.
At 720p it's HD is nowhere a sharp as the GoPro Hero I use in the Porsche but the trade-offs with data overlay, track mapping and ease of use (auto start at ignition "on" or a preselected speed and auto stop) make it well worth the investment... especially if it's being used as a learning/teaching tool.

The sound reproduction from the built-in mic is definitely crap!

OP that track looks awesome and your car looks sweet on it!!

Old 07-15-2015, 09:58 AM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
@boxer-11: Thanks again. The SC HD w AIM looks the better solution.
@wrs: came across this on a search here. https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...hd-review.html
Some interesting takes between the offerings...
Yeah, nothing is perfect but I think I will go with the integration route since I am already way down that road. The Circuit tools does a really good job with the data and I can save it in an excel spread sheet. The problem is that they don't have a very standard format for the integration programs to use. I will get it worked out eventually. The Hero has really good audio/videa and I may try a second camera focused on the actual car dials.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:07 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by wrs
Yeah, nothing is perfect but I think I will go with the integration route since I am already way down that road. The Circuit tools does a really good job with the data and I can save it in an excel spread sheet. The problem is that they don't have a very standard format for the integration programs to use. I will get it worked out eventually. The Hero has really good audio/videa and I may try a second camera focused on the actual car dials.
Keep me posted on any future developments with your Hero set up please wrs. Be keen to hear how that pans out. I made enquiry yesterday on the SC HD + AIM with ext mic and I will be most likely be taking that route I'd say. The guy did say the SC HD camera has a built in mic. When I mentioned the performance of the built n mic he said most of the GT3 set ups here are using the external mic, so I have added that to the list of things to get. Just checking out install…
Old 07-16-2015, 10:23 AM
wrs
Instructor

Keep me posted on any future developments with your Hero set up please wrs. Be keen to hear how that pans out. I made enquiry yesterday on the SC HD + AIM with ext mic and I will be most likely be taking that route I'd say. The guy did say the SC HD camera has a built in mic. When I mentioned the performance of the built n mic he said most of the GT3 set ups here are using the external mic, so I have added that to the list of things to get. Just checking out install…
I got one of my GoPro sessions with the annoying instructor to work with DashWare. For some reason I had no video of my first session and I didn't take Performance Box data with my last session. I wish I would have done the Performance Box my last session because I had good GoPro and it was the best session but I took the box off because I wasn't sure what I was getting. Anyway, this is a short snip of a three lap sequence that I was able to integrate between the GoPro and Vbox data using the DashWare software. I was able to save the Vbox data as a csv file and then synchronize that with the GoPro using the sync feature in DashWare. The Performance Box has an input for telemetry from the car so I could also integrate that if I was collecting it.

DashWare is free and seems to work well with GoPro.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:18 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by wrs
I got one of my GoPro sessions with the annoying instructor to work with DashWare. For some reason I had no video of my first session and I didn't take Performance Box data with my last session. I wish I would have done the Performance Box my last session because I had good GoPro and it was the best session but I took the box off because I wasn't sure what I was getting. Anyway, this is a short snip of a three lap sequence that I was able to integrate between the GoPro and Vbox data using the DashWare software. I was able to save the Vbox data as a csv file and then synchronize that with the GoPro using the sync feature in DashWare. The Performance Box has an input for telemetry from the car so I could also integrate that if I was collecting it.

DashWare is free and seems to work well with GoPro.

COTARun3 - YouTube
Lookin good! Great to see the speedo! The picture quality is really good..no denying that....and some nice drivin there too wrs! Hey are you running the tune on the track or is it the stock file?
Old 07-17-2015, 12:51 PM
wrs
Instructor

Lookin good! Great to see the speedo! The picture quality is really good..no denying that....and some nice drivin there too wrs! Hey are you running the tune on the track or is it the stock file?
My tune is always on because it's a piggyback. No race gas at this track though, just 93 from the pump. Well thanks for the compliment on the driving. I really have no yardstick, it was my first time on a track and that particular instructor was pretty hard on me. Anyways, now I have to see if there is a good way to get OBDII data into the Performance Box and I should be able to integrate that into the display. That also is just a reduced youtube quality picture so you can imagine how nice it is with the real GoPro on the computer display.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:45 PM
speed21
Banned

boxer-11 were you able to get the SDL to show the 7 gears (on the SC's video Porsche dash) properly when using the OBD plug connection?
Old 11-12-2015, 08:36 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I went directly to using a wired in CAN bus connection for the Solo DL so I'm not first-hand familiar with the OBD-II capabilities.

Looking at the AIM docs though, it looks like GEAR is not exported through the OBD-II port. [yes, it does come from the ECU when you use the CAN connection]. However...

It's not one that I look at (well, not ever really) and I don't see much discussion of it as a useful piece of information in the tutorials I've read about using data for driver coaching. Nonetheless, you can calculate a gear channel display in the Race Studio Analysis 2 program using speed and RPM channels as inputs...actually I think that math channel may even be built in.

I'm at the limit of my knowledge as to whether you can use that math channel to drive something for the SCHD video overlay though -- we'd probably have to ask one of the AIM dealer folks to be sure -- but I believe that in setting up the smartycam overlay you can tell it to use a calculated gear indication and it will just do it without any further effort on your part.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:18 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by boxer-11
I went directly to using a wired in CAN bus connection for the Solo DL so I'm not first-hand familiar with the OBD-II capabilities.

Looking at the AIM docs though, it looks like GEAR is not exported through the OBD-II port. [yes, it does come from the ECU when you use the CAN connection]. However...

It's not one that I look at (well, not ever really) and I don't see much discussion of it as a useful piece of information in the tutorials I've read about using data for driver coaching. Nonetheless, you can calculate a gear channel display in the Race Studio Analysis 2 program using speed and RPM channels as inputs...actually I think that math channel may even be built in.

I'm at the limit of my knowledge as to whether you can use that math channel to drive something for the SCHD video overlay though -- we'd probably have to ask one of the AIM dealer folks to be sure -- but I believe that in setting up the smartycam overlay you can tell it to use a calculated gear indication and it will just do it without any further effort on your part.
I've managed to get the gears to show but they are not accurate and also shift around. For eg when in 3rd it can show 5th etc.. Dealer has no answer other than maybe there is a need for further software tuning for the 991. We have done a lot of changing using the software settings and still NBG. I guess a CAN connection is the next step forward there. He feels it should cure it but I wanted to ask you first if your gears show properly with the CAN and also if you experienced any difficulty with the OBD. But as you say you never used the OBD then I guess that question will remain unanswered for now.

Do you have a separate on off switch between the unit and Can connection? My dealer is indicating that is required.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:49 PM
wrs
Instructor

I don't know if I put this up here. I have Harry's lap timer and upgraded to a Galaxy Note 4 and put an extra 64gb SD card in it so I have 96gb. I made a special mount for the phone as camera on the dash. I had put a thread at 6speed online about it. OBD data is collected via either bluetooth or Wifi depending on how you set it up. Here is a video of my street as a track, I live on a circle.

Here are pictures of my improvised custom mount. I used a spec case, glued it to a gopro slide mount and then used a GoPro suction mount. The videos are high resolution due to the Note 4 HD video capability so they look much better not on Youtube.
Attached Images    
Old 11-12-2015, 11:30 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by wrs
I don't know if I put this up here. I have Harry's lap timer and upgraded to a Galaxy Note 4 and put an extra 64gb SD card in it so I have 96gb. I made a special mount for the phone as camera on the dash. I had put a thread at 6speed online about it. OBD data is collected via either bluetooth or Wifi depending on how you set it up. Here is a video of my street as a track, I live on a circle.

LapTimerOverlay 20150918 0614431 - YouTube

Here are pictures of my improvised custom mount. I used a spec case, glued it to a gopro slide mount and then used a GoPro suction mount. The videos are high resolution due to the Note 4 HD video capability so they look much better not on Youtube.
Looks a good solution wrs but I took the SC HD /Solo route. It's a very good set up save a few teething problems which will hopefully sort out when I do the CAN connection in the next week or so. I'm also still trying to find the right location for that Ext mic too.... Damn!
Old 11-13-2015, 01:09 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I've managed to get the gears to show but they are not accurate and also shift around. For eg when in 3rd it can show 5th etc.. Dealer has no answer other than maybe there is a need for further software tuning for the 991. We have done a lot of changing using the software settings and still NBG. I guess a CAN connection is the next step forward there. He feels it should cure it but I wanted to ask you first if your gears show properly with the CAN and also if you experienced any difficulty with the OBD. But as you say you never used the OBD then I guess that question will remain unanswered for now.
I took a look at some of my data in Race Studio Analysis and added the AIM built in channel for gear, AIM_Gear I think it's called. To get this to work at all there's a constant that you have to change in the modify math channels dialog box which I think is specifying how many gears you car has. Certainly changing that shifts the indicated gear up and down a bit (like the whole trace shifts depending on the value of that constant). Not sure if this relates but perhaps there's a similar constant edit that's required for the overlay value of gear to work??

I think moving to CAN gets you the ECU's gear indication and that's going to be dead-nuts on so no more worries about calculated gear calibration.
Do you have a separate on off switch between the unit and Can connection? My dealer is indicating that is required.
On the CAN connection there are 4 wires in the harness to hook into the car. One each for the two CAN signal lines and a power and ground. AIM docs show where to latch into the CAN bus in the car's wiring bundle. I had an installer do this for me and they put in a reversible connection (in case I ever wanted to remove it) but most times people will tell you to solder the harness to the wiring loom CAN lines. For power the advice I got was to splice in behind the driver's side fuse box on a circuit that was switched with the key. Theory being that when the car is OFF, so is the SoloDL. In practice, the Solo will in fact come on anyway -- I now believe this relates to the Entry-and-Drive feature after some experimenting but I can't prove it. Anyway, what I do now is simply unscrew the connector at the Solo end in lieu of a separate power switch...cheap and effective and one less part to go bad perhaps but a bit fiddly compared to flipping a switch.

For the external mic, I just use carpet-safe masking tape and mount it on the interior rear deck behind the rear seats by the sound symposer hole. The cable for it runs forward behind the seats and into the driver's side rear seat footwell where I have the TVC-15 mixer box mounted on the rear shell of the driver seat. I pull all this stuff out of the car after a track day so the masking tape just holds the mic wire on a temporary basis...I know others have run the mic into the engine bay though for a more permanent solution.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:30 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Probably the most fun day I have had in my entire life.

[/QUOTE]

UH-OH - Now you are in real trouble along with the rest of us! LOL
As you have now discovered, Track Driving is the most fun you can ever have with your pants on and is totally intoxicating and addictive.
There simply is no cure or substitute. Welcome to our addict's world!!!!
Old 11-14-2015, 07:54 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by boxer-11
I took a look at some of my data in Race Studio Analysis and added the AIM built in channel for gear, AIM_Gear I think it's called. To get this to work at all there's a constant that you have to change in the modify math channels dialog box which I think is specifying how many gears you car has. Certainly changing that shifts the indicated gear up and down a bit (like the whole trace shifts depending on the value of that constant). Not sure if this relates but perhaps there's a similar constant edit that's required for the overlay value of gear to work??

I think moving to CAN gets you the ECU's gear indication and that's going to be dead-nuts on so no more worries about calculated gear calibration.

On the CAN connection there are 4 wires in the harness to hook into the car. One each for the two CAN signal lines and a power and ground. AIM docs show where to latch into the CAN bus in the car's wiring bundle. I had an installer do this for me and they put in a reversible connection (in case I ever wanted to remove it) but most times people will tell you to solder the harness to the wiring loom CAN lines. For power the advice I got was to splice in behind the driver's side fuse box on a circuit that was switched with the key. Theory being that when the car is OFF, so is the SoloDL. In practice, the Solo will in fact come on anyway -- I now believe this relates to the Entry-and-Drive feature after some experimenting but I can't prove it. Anyway, what I do now is simply unscrew the connector at the Solo end in lieu of a separate power switch...cheap and effective and one less part to go bad perhaps but a bit fiddly compared to flipping a switch.

For the external mic, I just use carpet-safe masking tape and mount it on the interior rear deck behind the rear seats by the sound symposer hole. The cable for it runs forward behind the seats and into the driver's side rear seat footwell where I have the TVC-15 mixer box mounted on the rear shell of the driver seat. I pull all this stuff out of the car after a track day so the masking tape just holds the mic wire on a temporary basis...I know others have run the mic into the engine bay though for a more permanent solution.
Tks again for your efforts here boxer. I will try the mic placement where you suggest. What volume level do you have yours set at? Re the gear issue there is no doubt I've gone as far as I can go with that so I will see how it pans out when I tap into the CAN. I think you are right with the entry and drive causing issues rekindling power to the unit after shutdown/lock hence why I intend putting in a separate on off switch between the Solo and the CAN connection. The way it is now, if I go back to the car a few hours later I often see the solo and SC powered back on, so for now I just unplug the OBD to keep that from happening.

Quick Reply: Hot Laps at COTA Yesterday