Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Essex/AP Racing 2-piece J Hook Brake Discs and Ferodo Racing Brake Pads, 991 Turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 12:26 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts
Default Essex/AP Racing 2-piece J Hook Brake Discs and Ferodo Racing Brake Pads, 991 Turbo!

Hello Gents,
Over the past couple of months we've successfully launched a range of AP Racing Heavy Duty J Hook discs for a number of 911 platforms. We have them on quite a few cars tearing up tracks around the country. You can see customer reports in the 991 GT3, 997 GT3, and 996 GT3 sections of this forum. We are now shipping AP Racing discs for the 991 Turbo in the iron disc sizes (380x34mm front / 380x30mm rear). We are not offering the larger PCCB sizes at this time.

Some background:

My name is Jeff Ritter, and I’m the High Performance Division Manager at Essex Parts Services. We are now a supporting sponsor for this forum. Essex has been in business since 1981, primarily servicing the professional racing market (NASCAR, ALMS, Grand-Am, etc.) We are currently located in Charlotte, NC. You can read a bit about our history here. In recent years we’ve had a growing presence in the automotive aftermarket, bringing professional level products and technology from Europe to amateur racers and enthusiasts in North America. Much of our business revolves around brakes, and we are the exclusive North American importer and distributor for some of the biggest brands in motorsports. Our focus is solely on the highest quality products that have been proven under the most rigorous forms of racing. Moving forward, we will be continually working with these manufacturers to develop new products for the various Porsche platforms.

AP Racing competition (England)- Complete high performance brake systems, calipers, discs, brake fluid, clutches, master cylinders, pedal boxes, brake pads

Ferodo Racing (Italy)- Racing brake pads, brake fluid

CL Brakes (France)- Sintered Racing brake pads

Spiegler Performance Parts (Germany/USA)- Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Teknofibra (Italy)- Thermal and sound barriers and insulation

Aliant (Italy)- Ultralightweight Lithium Batteries

In addition to importing and selling these products, we provide a number of services to the professional racing market, such as our now patented brake disc and pad burnishing service, caliper and master cylinder rebuilding, brake dynamometer testing, etc.

Essex Staff: Essex has a diverse and talented staff, with over a century of combined experience in motorsports. Most of our managers are industry veterans who have held high ranking positions throughout racing, and just about everyone at Essex has personally participated in motorsports as well. We understand your passion for your car, and we strive towards keeping our customers satisfied at all times.

Personal History: I’ve been actively involved in motorsports since roughly 1999, initially in autoX, then in HPDE and time trials. I’ve owned a number of performance cars over the years, including: Integra Type-R, 350Z, C5 Z06, Miata, etc. I have also been participating in various automotive forums since that time under the screen name “J Ritt”. You can read more about me here. Of relevance to this forum, the very first time I ever experienced a racetrack was Watkins Glen in a 1989 911 Carrera...and I was instantly hooked.

I and the other folks at Essex are excited to join and support this community, and we look forward to providing its members with top quality products and services. If you want to keep track of what we’re up to, you can like us on Facebook, and follow our blog (which contains lots of customer reviews). If you ever have any questions or are interested in any of the products we represent, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Our phone number is 704-824-6030. We do not have an automated attendant, so you will always get a live human on the phone during business hours (Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm ET). You can also email me at any time through my signature, and I’ll make sure someone gets you an answer in a timely manner. Thanks for having us, and we appreciate any support you can give us.

Essex/AP Racing 2-piece Heavy Duty Racing Discs for 991 Turbo

AP Racing may not need much of an introduction, but I’ll give you a quick snapshot anyway. AP Racing is widely considered the technology leader in the field of racing brakes. They’ve been involved with motorsports for over 50 years, and have won over 750 Formula 1 races with their brake or clutch products! They are a leading supplier in many of the other top race series around the world such as NASCAR Sprint Cup, ALMS, WRC, DTM, Aussie V8, etc.

As mentioned above, Essex is AP Racing’s exclusive North American importer and distributor for competition parts. Historically our focus has been on professional racing. More recently however, we've been working on bringing the technology from our professional racing experience into the aftermarket, and making it available to the typical enthusiast. Many of the exclusive products we sell have either been used in professional racing, or contain a number of features that in the past have only been available at the higher echelon of racing.

Over the past couple of years we’ve received a lot of requests for Porsche products. Customers have been asking for a steady supply of reasonably priced, premium racing discs to replace either their OEM discs. We decided to dig in and produce the discs that our customers want.

We used our extensive professional racing expertise to design the specification of these discs. They include a number of features and benefits that can’t be found in competing products:
• 72 directional internal vanes
• Exclusive AP Racing J Hook slot pattern
• Twelve attachment points for floating disc hats
• Complex metallurgy developed over 50 years of racing at the elite level
• Reasonable iron replacement cost

A special note on weight/mass
Low weight is usually a hot topic with 2-piece discs, particularly if they’re replacing carbon ceramics. While we could have designed the absolute lightest iron disc on the market, we didn’t think that was necessarily the proper solution. Instead, we decided to go with what we consider a near ideal blend of low mass and durability. In professional racing, we design brake systems that barely make it through the race before they’re consumed/destroyed. You can think of the situation just like you would race engines: They’re only designed to get the job done on that day, nothing more. With brakes, that means building the absolute lightest components possible while maintaining adequate durability to finish the race. That strategy works great when huge budgets are involved, and the cost of constantly swapping parts and maintaining them on the ragged edge isn’t an issue. We know that our aftermarket customers don’t have the same luxury however. Our enthusiast customers want the latest technology, but also desire the convenience that added durability provides. They want discs that run cool and won’t overheat their pads and fluid, but they definitely don’t want to be constantly swapping discs due to cracking. We addressed these concerns by adding a bit more mass to the outer disc walls and internal vane structure. Our discs likely won’t be the absolute lightest on the market, but they will provide a stellar blend of both lightness and durability. It’s highly unlikely that you’ll find anything that will take a similar beating before expiring.

Our customers told us that there were a number of other issues with competing products as well. Replacement iron cost and availability were concerns, and our customers were frequently unsure about which parts to order, where to buy them, and how long they’d have to wait after they did order them. Our goal is to remove these barriers from the product and process. We will do this by providing as much detail on the discs as possible, holding a large inventory of these discs on hand at all times, and offering fair pricing on replacement iron.

Without further ado, you can see the full details on the discs at the links below:

AP Racing Heavy Duty J Hook Two-piece Endurance Racing Discs for Porsche 991 Turbo (Front 380x34mm)

AP Racing Heavy Duty J Hook Two-piece Endurance Racing Discs for Porsche 991 Turbo (Rear 380x30mm). The website listing is in progress, but you can see the 991 GT3 version which is slightly different here)

You can see the details on the iron ring replacements here.

FYI…We’ve also just released a wide range of similar discs for other exotics such as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Audi, etc. If you have any friends tracking these cars, please send them our way.

Where can I buy them?

Essex currently has an extensive reseller network across North America, and we sell direct to retail. We also have a growing list of Porsche-focused resellers who I’m sure will chime in on this thread. Clark at Apex Performance is the first who comes to mind.

When can I buy them?

Now! The fronts are in stock, and we're about 2 months out on the rears (we're waiting on the iron to arrive from AP Racing).

Ferodo Racing Brake Pads for the 991 Turbo

Founded in England in 1897, Ferodo was actually the first company in the world to be entirely dedicated to the design and manufacture of friction products! Ferodo pads are original equipment on many of the world's most popular sports cars and sedans, and are used around the globe by many of the top teams in motorsport. Ferodo is now a subsidiary of Federal Mogul, based in Mondovi Italy. You can see more on Ferodo’s history and accomplishments here.

As with AP Racing, Essex is the exclusive importer and distributor for Ferodo Racing brake pads. The two primary compounds that we currently have on offer are the DS2500 and the DS1.11.

DS2500 (Ferodo compound code H)

The DS2500 is currently one of the best hybrid light-duty track/street pads on the market. It features the moderately high bite and solid fade resistance of a track pad, with the relatively low dust and noise levels of a street pad. When used as a street pad, it can produce a small amount of squeal on certain vehicle platforms. During aggressive driving the DS2500 is known for its flat torque curve, which means as temperatures go up, the response through the brake pedal remains consistent. If you drive aggressively on the street, do some canyon runs, autoX, and maybe some light track duty on street tires, the DS2500 is tough to beat.

When used on fast, heavy cars on the track with race tires, pad wear rates tend to be higher than they would be on Ferodo’s full track pad compounds. Under those conditions, Essex would recommend the DS1.11.

Front DS2500 for 991 GT3: FCP4664H

Rear DS2500 for 991 GT3: FCP4665H

DS1.11 (Ferodo compound code W)

The DS1.11 is one of Ferodo's latest race pad offerings. It is an endurance compound designed specifically for extended heavy use on the track. The DS1.11 is known for its extremely flat torque curve, which means that as temperatures go up, the response through the brake pedal remains consistent. If you want a pad that you can thrash all day without having it burn up or fade, the DS1.11 is a great choice. We’ve been running these on everything from the Subaru BRZ to 700hp Corvettes. We also now have a whole bunch of GT3 customers running them successfully, and they're achieving superior results vs. the popular brands they were using previously. They last a long time, they’re easy on the discs, easy to bed-in, and they exhibit very little vibration or judder.

Front DS1.11 for 991 Turbo: FCP4664W

Rear DS1.11 for 991 Turbo: FCP4665W

Using the two pad compounds together

One of the great things about the two pad compounds described above is that their core material composition is quite similar. As such, they form a great combo for cars that are driven on both the street and track. You can run the DS2500 on the street and sport driving, then swap in the DS1.11 for track duty. You won’t have to re-bed your pads or worry about vibration or judder caused by the pad material interaction on the disc face.

Where can I buy them?

Essex currently has an extensive reseller network across North America, and we sell direct to retail (see product links above). We also have a growing list of Porsche-focused resellers who I’m sure will chime in on this thread.

When can I buy them?

Available now on our website or through any of our resellers.

Front Pad Drawing

Rear Pad Drawing

We believe these brake solutions will provide our customers with a much more enjoyable experience vs. the OEM brake components. Please feel free to ask any questions here, or contact me privately. Thanks again.
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 07-01-2015, 05:52 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

We have had nothing but praise for the AP rotor/hat assemblies.
WE have these AP 72 vane J hooked rotors/hat assemblies in stock. http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-2774.htm Rennlist Promocode works for the time being on this item.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor

Quick Reply: Essex/AP Racing 2-piece J Hook Brake Discs and Ferodo Racing Brake Pads, 991 Turbo!