Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Tune.. (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/878658-tune.html)

stlcity 06-14-2015 04:07 PM

Tune..

Hi guys. Might pull the trigger on a TT/TTS soon. Looking at various tune options...I have GIAC on my Audi and I'm very happy with it. Problem is, although it's OBD II flashable, no one close by can do it. Local dealer will have to ship ECU out. Also worried about warranty work since I'm thinking of leasing..

My dealer is suggesting FVD... Know it's a piggyback system. He claims he has customers with good results with the tune.

Was wondering if anyone here has any personal experience with the various options and with FVD in particular...

What are the disadvantages of a piggyback system if there are any?

Thanks in advance.

991TurboS 06-14-2015 04:30 PM

Do a bit of searching on this Forum and 6speed. You will find enough info on the piggyback vs OBD flash debate to make you nauseous. Topic has been beaten to death since the 991 turbo came out.

wrs 06-14-2015 05:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have all FVD stuff and am very pleased with it. In fact, here are my slips from last night and the first two were on 93 with the last 3 after having added 3 gallons of 104 to my 1/4 full tank. Look how the trap speed increased. The only car that beat me all night was the one on the second run and it was a flat out dragster, custom build run by a pro named Paul Peyton. I didn't even have a good run on that one otherwise it should have been closer. I am car 365.

enzom 06-14-2015 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by wrs (Post 12359079)
I have all FVD stuff and am very pleased with it. In fact, here are my slips from last night and the first two were on 93 with the last 3 after having added 3 gallons of 104 to my 1/4 full tank. Look how the trap speed increased. The only car that beat me all night was the one on the second run and it was a flat out dragster, custom build run by a pro named Paul Peyton. I didn't even have a good run on that one otherwise it should have been closer. I am car 365.

Wow - lots of runs for one night at an open event.

wrs 06-14-2015 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by enzom (Post 12359104)
Wow - lots of runs for one night at an open event.

Yeah, they get them through and it wasn't entirely open. They had some Jr. Fuel Dragsters, some real fuel dragsters and other open class type stuff. That Peyton guy is local (Waxahachie) and he brought two cars. The first 90 minutes was all for the open stuff. I made three runs in about a half hour, one that I didn't post was a screw up where I forgot I had put the car in park after staging. It took me four seconds to realize my error when it revved up and went nowhere. I rammed into D, saw launch control grab and ended up running 11.175 at 128 and still beating the little rice burner running against me. It ran 17 at 81mph or some such. After that I let the car cool down and added the race gas.

They stay open until midnight but I had to drive 175 miles back to Austin. It turns out SA raceway reopened this weekend and it's only 70 miles away. I am going down there next Saturday to do Domestic vs. Import, they start at 5pm and it's a head to head deal with the best 16 dueling it off but still including test and tune or TNT. They stayed open until 1am Friday I think.

stlcity 06-14-2015 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by 991TurboS (Post 12358979)
Do a bit of searching on this Forum and 6speed. You will find enough info on the piggyback vs OBD flash debate to make you nauseous. Topic has been beaten to death since the 991 turbo came out.

LOL... Very true about being nauseous... I read most of them and came back as confused as before reading them.. Even after pages of debate, I could not discern a clear winner.... With vendors of both approaches claiming that their technique of modifying the ECU is better.. Sorry for rehashing the whole debate again..

Was looking for real world experience with either.. Might eventually go with the piggyback option because the dealer is comfortable doing it that way... Don't want to have to deal with the dealers end for warranty work..

Thanks again.

FBA 06-14-2015 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by stlcity (Post 12358925)
Hi guys. Might pull the trigger on a TT/TTS soon. Looking at various tune options...I have GIAC on my Audi and I'm very happy with it. Problem is, although it's OBD II flashable, no one close by can do it. Local dealer will have to ship ECU out. Also worried about warranty work since I'm thinking of leasing..

My dealer is suggesting FVD... Know it's a piggyback system. He claims he has customers with good results with the tune.

Was wondering if anyone here has any personal experience with the various options and with FVD in particular...

What are the disadvantages of a piggyback system if there are any?

Thanks in advance.

I was also looking at the same thing, but there are no tunes from anyone yet for a 2016, if that's what you're buying. I'm waiting and will likely do the FVD setup only because it's less of a pain for warranty work.

NVRANUF 06-15-2015 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by FBA (Post 12359737)
I was also looking at the same thing, but there are no tunes from anyone yet for a 2016, if that's what you're buying. I'm waiting and will likely do the FVD setup only because it's less of a pain for warranty work.

Other than program updates, which would apply to all 991 TT/S, I'd be leery of any company claiming their MY 2016 tune was different than a 2014-2015. Just saying'...

:cheers:

John@Fabspeed 06-15-2015 01:38 PM

The piggybacks are the easiest tunes IMO. They have been proven time and time again. ALl of my customers are VERY pleased with the Fabspeed Tuning kit!

Congrats on getting the new car, I wouldn't be able to sleep!

trendy996 06-16-2015 08:29 AM

I have a fabspeed tune kit for sale. Pm me if interested :thumbup:

FBA 06-18-2015 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by 1Gunner (Post 12360397)
Other than program updates, which would apply to all 991 TT/S, I'd be leery of any company claiming their MY 2016 tune was different than a 2014-2015. Just saying'...

:cheers:

When I called FVD in Pompano, where I was staying at the time, they told me that the tune wasn't yet available for my 2016. I was ready to spend money right there and then, but the vendor wasn't ready to take it. I wouldn't be leery about someone who DIDN'T want to take my money. LOL

wrs 06-18-2015 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by FBA (Post 12368473)
When I called FVD in Pompano, where I was staying at the time, they told me that the tune wasn't yet available for my 2016. I was ready to spend money right there and then, but the vendor wasn't ready to take it. I wouldn't be leery about someone who DIDN'T want to take my money. LOL

The ECU can change from year to year. Same thing was true for m5 2013 vs 2014. It doesn't surprise me a bit that they don't have anything for the 2016 because none of the cars have been made available yet. Are there 2016 models running around on the roads yet?

ecpchris 06-19-2015 08:37 PM

Tune..

Get the Cobb, best of all worlds.

Karl911 06-20-2015 07:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have GIAC Stage 2 tune with tubi cat less exhaust Install buy Champion Motor sports in Pompano.

FBA 06-20-2015 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by wrs (Post 12368610)
The ECU can change from year to year. Same thing was true for m5 2013 vs 2014. It doesn't surprise me a bit that they don't have anything for the 2016 because none of the cars have been made available yet. Are there 2016 models running around on the roads yet?

Ya, there are a few EU deliveries running around here.