Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   MY2016 Turbo S changes? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/865975-my2016-turbo-s-changes.html)

Iceman23 03-30-2015 12:44 PM

MY2016 Turbo S changes?

Hey guys,
Needed to get some advice on what to do. I just traded my Ferrari Scud in for a build MY2016 Turbo S. My issue as I've noticed a few others on this forum is what are the changes for 2016 and will it be the .2 version?

I would hate to buy MY2016 and then MY 2017 all the major changes take effect as depreciation will go that much quicker if I buy 2016 and then 2017 all changes get done.

So do you all think I should buy 2016 or hold out till 2017 build?

Thanks in advance

AndrewP 03-30-2015 01:46 PM

some definitive answers to your question in Z356's post today

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...-a-my2017.html

Iceman23 03-30-2015 02:58 PM

Andrewp,

Thanks for the reply. I saw that posting.

Just curious as to what a Porsche enthusiast would do? Wait or go for it and take the hit in a year?

With Ferraris, the model duration was close to 5 years. With Porsche a little less with facelifts.

Thanks in advance.

mdbonedoc 03-30-2015 10:49 PM

I am quite torn as well. I have been waiting to order a new Turbo S cab, and now I do not know what to do. I plan on keeping it for a while, so part of me wants to wait for the 991.2 upgrade/facelift. Now, that looks like over a year from now! I have even considered finding a nice gently used C2/C4 S cab for a year or 2 and wait this out. Thoughts?

RCorsa 03-31-2015 12:06 AM

Won't be a major change and they say it may be mid to late 2017 until turbo s sees the facelift anyway. I picked up my 2015 in December and haven't looked back.

kyrocks 03-31-2015 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Iceman23 (Post 12163204)
Hey guys,
Needed to get some advice on what to do. I just traded my Ferrari Scud in for a build MY2016 Turbo S. My issue as I've noticed a few others on this forum is what are the changes for 2016 and will it be the .2 version?

I would hate to buy MY2016 and then MY 2017 all the major changes take effect as depreciation will go that much quicker if I buy 2016 and then 2017 all changes get done.

So do you all think I should buy 2016 or hold out till 2017 build?

Thanks in advance

Where did you trade your Ferrari Scud so I can buy it?

Iceman23 03-31-2015 12:26 PM

kyrocks,

I traded it at Ferrari Fort Lauderdale. Serviced it there since i purchased it and must say, an amazing car. Visceral to the max. Just not a DD for me and wanted something I can take out more frequent without having to be paranoid about it.
It was red scuderia over black leather with red stitching.

I'm moving forward with my TTS 2016 and I'm in the process of building it pending updates i.e. steering wheel.

Had a 1994 3.6 Turbo and none since then so should be pretty fun to get this under my belt.

best of luck to all.

Ruben

TurboMD 04-01-2015 12:36 AM

Custom ordered my 2015 and delivered it in February. 200 miles later so glad I did.
Could care less about future models. I built it my way and wow what a car. Priceless and so few on the road in very wealthy Silicon Valley.

AndrewP 04-01-2015 10:19 AM

Congratulations!

Originally Posted by TurboMD (Post 12168114)
Custom ordered my 2015 and delivered it in February. 200 miles later so glad I did.
Could care less about future models. I built it my way and wow what a car. Priceless and so few on the road in very wealthy Silicon Valley.

Glad that you pulled the trigger. The TTS is an amazing car that has to be driven a lot. Yes, Porsche will continue to improve it, perhaps even exponentially with the next new body style given the McClaren 570S, but it has all the attributes of the 50+ years of a 911. Also, the opportunity to configure it is very satisfying. Enjoy!

Fred Flintstone 04-01-2015 12:30 PM

I guess I don't really get the whole depreciation concern. Cars like this cost a lot of money and, in general, cars should not really be viewed as "investments" unless you are a pro. I assume most here are just car enthusiasts with more money than most and like to drive fast cars. I am not sure how everyone else does it, but when I buy a car (always buy, never lease), my personal balance sheet has the following entries: Cash goes down, offset by a decrease in personal equity. That's it... the money has been spent and is gone - like I consumed a beer. Couldn't care less what someone will or will not offer me to buy that car. It's my car and I bought it because I wanted it. I don't care what it's worth. I just want it to run well and be of high quality (hopefully Porsche delivers on that).

I know I'm an outlier having this view - but I never got anywhere following the pack. ;-)

AndrewP 04-01-2015 12:45 PM

I don't think that you are an outlier.

Originally Posted by Fred Flintstone (Post 12169179)
I guess I don't really get the whole depreciation concern. Cars like this cost a lot of money and, in general, cars should not really be viewed as "investments" unless you are a pro. I assume most here are just car enthusiasts with more money than most and like to drive fast cars. I am not sure how everyone else does it, but when I buy a car (always buy, never lease), my personal balance sheet has the following entries: Cash goes down, offset by a decrease in personal equity. That's it... the money has been spent and is gone - like I consumed a beer. Couldn't care less what someone will or will not offer me to buy that car. It's my car and I bought it because I wanted it. I don't care what it's worth. I just want it to run well and be of high quality (hopefully Porsche delivers on that).

I know I'm an outlier having this view - but I never got anywhere following the pack. ;-)

The TTS is not an investment, but an expenditure. The value does not go to zero upon delivery, but depreciates rapidly in the first few years at least. I regard it as entertainment and a hobby and consider myself fortunate to do so. I drive my car a lot and take good care of it, but am not obsessive and use it in the winter, although not as much as in other seasons. My guess is that many on this forum have the same perspective on their 991 TT/TTS's.

Iceman23 04-01-2015 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by AndrewP (Post 12169212)
The TTS is not an investment, but an expenditure. The value does not go to zero upon delivery, but depreciates rapidly in the first few years at least. I regard it as entertainment and a hobby and consider myself fortunate to do so. I drive my car a lot and take good care of it, but am not obsessive and use it in the winter, although not as much as in other seasons. My guess is that many on this forum have the same perspective on their 991 TT/TTS's.

I certainly agree. i guess I was just hedging the speed of depreciation if an updated TTS was due to come out. But in any case, car is in the process of being ordered and specc'd.
So if anyone has any recommendations of must haves on it, certainly welcome them.

carcommander 04-10-2015 09:13 PM

I agree, I bought mine to drive an enjoy. A great car.