Tesh
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Randy!
Old 01-19-2018, 06:28 PM
M3S3R
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sharkwerk is a very mild exhaust for sound. It all pipe so the sound is not going to change. It really is a quit exhaust. I guess if you drive your car in 7 gear at 2000 rpm and you think its loud you may want to change back to stock.
I was thinking about removing cats and going straight pipes for more sound. My car is putting down about 640 hp and its not loud at all with Sharkwerks exhaust. No drone at all, not that I'm at 2000 rpm in seven gear.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:49 PM
Tesh
AutoX

Originally Posted by M3S3R
The sharkwerk is a very mild exhaust for sound. It all pipe so the sound is not going to change. It really is a quit exhaust. I guess if you drive your car in 7 gear at 2000 rpm and you think its loud you may want to change back to stock.
I was thinking about removing cats and going straight pipes for more sound. My car is putting down about 640 hp and its not loud at all with Sharkwerks exhaust. No drone at all, not that I'm at 2000 rpm in seven gear.
i don’t see how you can describe it as very mild and quiet, it sounds like Thor himself is arriving! Very loud on cold start - which I love. I’m guessing your Turbo S is not your daily driver. Being my daily driver with PDK I can’t really avoid 7th gear at 2,000 RPM when cruising. I do like the sound but not a fan of the drone.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:48 PM
Deckard
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Tesh, is the Sharkwerks too loud even when driving in regular (not sport) mode? I use my 991.1 TTS as my daily and was considering the Sharkwerks, but your experience is giving me pause. I do drive in Sport mode 95% of the time though.

Btw, if there is too much drone in 7th gear, switch to manual mode and keep it in 6th!
Old 01-19-2018, 08:02 PM
Tesh
AutoX

Originally Posted by Deckard
Tesh, is the Sharkwerks too loud even when driving in regular (not sport) mode? I use my 991.1 TTS as my daily and was considering the Sharkwerks, but your experience is giving me pause. I do drive in Sport mode 95% of the time though.

Btw, if there is too much drone in 7th gear, switch to manual mode and keep it in 6th!
Hi Deckard, it’s not too loud in regular or sport mode, it’s a very good sound, it also sounds great at idle and cold start - not sure the neighbours agree At motorway speeds 70mph+ I find it does have moderate drone, saying that so does the stock system but SW definitely has more drone at higher speeds. Stock exhaust drones more at lower speeds. TBH I’m undecided on the SW, I need more time with it, as others have said. Fellow members have made good points.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:05 PM
M3S3R
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tesh not sure what to say the stock exhaust had little to no sound for my taste. Your saying there was drone even with your stock exhaust, it's possible the exhaust your looking has not been made. All of my cars are driven as daily, no garage queens in my stable.
It might help to go with an exhaust and not x-pipe. Make sure to keep your stock cats if you want no drone.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:31 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I daily drive my SW-equipped 991 TT. I don't find it too loud. There is some drone at 2000 rpm under certain load conditions, but I suggest just not driving at 2000 rpm. There isn't much throttle response at that rpm anyway.

The exhaust is just straight through pipes, so don't expect the sound to change over time like mufflers would that have any kind of packing inside. The only thing I don't particularly care for is that "blatty" sound when you fully open the throttle. There are other exhausts that take care of that with some kind of muffling or pipe tuning, but they cost a lot more. From the sound/video clips, I like the Kline best, but they don't make them for pure cat-back applications; you have to either go catless (a real no-no in California) or use their hi-flow cats, but that gets very pricey. So for now I'll just stick with SW.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:22 AM
Tesh
AutoX

Originally Posted by Need4S
I daily drive my SW-equipped 991 TT. I don't find it too loud. There is some drone at 2000 rpm under certain load conditions, but I suggest just not driving at 2000 rpm. There isn't much throttle response at that rpm anyway.

The exhaust is just straight through pipes, so don't expect the sound to change over time like mufflers would that have any kind of packing inside. The only thing I don't particularly care for is that "blatty" sound when you fully open the throttle. There are other exhausts that take care of that with some kind of muffling or pipe tuning, but they cost a lot more. From the sound/video clips, I like the Kline best, but they don't make them for pure cat-back applications; you have to either go catless (a real no-no in California) or use their hi-flow cats, but that gets very pricey. So for now I'll just stick with SW.
Need4S, you have pretty much hit the nail on the head!!! Everything you have said is spot on. I didn’t want to mess with CATS either - been there and done that :s. Akra do a slip on but it is ridiculously priced and I wouldn’t be able to use it when I eventually change for the 991.2
Old 01-21-2018, 02:23 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Tesh

i don’t see how you can describe it as very mild and quiet, it sounds like Thor himself is arriving! Very loud on cold start - which I love. I’m guessing your Turbo S is not your daily driver. Being my daily driver with PDK I can’t really avoid 7th gear at 2,000 RPM when cruising. I do like the sound but not a fan of the drone.
Stock exhaust has WAY more drone at those speeds than SW. ......Just sayin'.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:18 AM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Tesh
JUPJAI - happy with your SW exhaust?
Yes - transforms the car
Would do it again!
Old 05-26-2018, 05:56 PM
Cm09578
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm looking to buy a SharkWerks exhaust for my 991 Turbo if anyone is selling.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:01 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Stock exhaust has WAY more drone at those speeds than SW. ......Just sayin'.
is this the consensus on the sharkwerks? I’m mostly optimizing for reducing drone on the highway vs having a louder car.

Mare the Europipe or Kline better at reducing this drone under light load around 2k rpm?
Old 02-04-2019, 02:08 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NightBlueTTS

is this the consensus on the sharkwerks? I’m mostly optimizing for reducing drone on the highway vs having a louder car.

Mare the Europipe or Kline better at reducing this drone under light load around 2k rpm?
I've used SW on the TT and Europipe on the TTS. Both reduced drone over stock at 60-70mph hwy speeds.
Price of admission was significantly more on Europipe, but it also includes sport cats to replace the stock cats.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:21 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I've used SW on the TT and Europipe on the TTS. Both reduced drone over stock at 60-70mph hwy speeds.
Price of admission was significantly more on Europipe, but it also includes sport cats to replace the stock cats.
Thanks. You have a preference of one over the other? Pros/cons?
Old 02-04-2019, 06:34 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NightBlueTTS

Thanks. You have a preference of one over the other? Pros/cons?
For straight up exhaust sounds.. SharkWerks gave this at a very reasonable out of pocket.

To hear more turbo spool sounds from the exhaust, the Europipe gave this but for a premium in price.

Both companies, Alex at SW and Stef at EP, are excellent to work with.

Pick your poison!

Quick Reply: Sharkwerks 991 Turbo (S) exhaust