Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Sound symposer broken (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/863639-sound-symposer-broken.html)

991TurboS 03-16-2015 08:56 PM

Sound symposer broken

I pushed the Sport button on my TTS over the weekend and heard an audible click I had never hard before. Happened when going from Normal to Sport or Normal to Sport+, but not the other way around. No codes thrown and no change in the way the car drove. I figured it was the imposer, or something minor, thinking what could make that type sound without throwing a code. Went to the P Dealer today and sure enough the Symposer is broken, so they are ordering one and I should get it installed later this week.

So if you start hearing a click coming from the engine Driver side when you press the Sport or Sport+ button, you will know what it is.

991TurboS 03-24-2015 12:56 PM

I took my car into the Dealer last Friday, as the new symposer supposedly arrived, and they had to send me home after 15-20 minutes because the part did not fit. They have been in touch with Porsche, and seems the problem is the Sound Symposer for the TTS and the regular 911 are not the same, but Porsche had them listed as such under the same part number, so I must have the first failed Symposer in a 991 Turbo, I guess, for this not to have been caught before.

Badknees 03-25-2015 01:49 PM

What, if any, engine sound difference are you noticing?

991TurboS 03-25-2015 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Badknees (Post 12149304)
What, if any, engine sound difference are you noticing?

Really not noticing any difference, but I have a GMG exhaust on the car, so it is louder than normal. If it were not for the audible click I heard when switching from Normal to Sport or Sport+, I never would have noticed.

Anyways, got an email from my Service Rep, and they have the right parts ordered, I think, now. I actually don't know now if it is my Dealership's mistake and they are blaming Porsche because they ordered the wrong parts, or if it actually is Porsche's not having the parts listed correctly. Not a big deal to me, either way, really. Doesn't affect the operation of the car, so I can drive like normal until the correct part comes in. Hopefully, it should get fixed later this week.

Carcam 03-25-2015 07:36 PM

I disconnected mine so I wouldn't mind (or would even know) if my symposer broke.

zedosix 03-26-2015 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Carcam (Post 12150496)
I disconnected mine so I wouldn't mind (or would even know) if my symposer broke.

Didn't know that was possible. Interesting...

Carcam 03-26-2015 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by zedosix (Post 12153808)
Didn't know that was possible. Interesting...

Other threads here-

sorry- link didn't attach

991TurboS 03-27-2015 01:29 PM

Took the car back in today, and the Symposer diaphragm was replaced.

I never thought I'd be a male saying I had my diaphragm replaced!:eek:

NorthvilleStig 03-28-2015 01:39 PM

A related aside but interesting anyway ... I was amused to see that the new Ford Mustang has engine sound "reinforcement" technology as well ... I thought the concept silly at first but Porsche is not unique in this regard ...

SBPORSCHE 03-15-2017 03:26 AM

I installed a Symposer into my 997.2 GTS

Not sure why anyone would not want the sound Symposer?!?!
I invested a hundred or so hours into installing a 991 Symposer into my 997.
IT SOUNDS AMAZING!! - here's 5k to redline.
This video is from my 997.2 GTS Cab with the top up windows up, pse and sport button off. To create a clear intake sound video.
The true actual experience with PSE On, sport mode On and top down, and in real life instead of through the terrible muted iPhone camera mic is amazingly epic.

porsche42 03-16-2017 10:11 AM

Interesting thought they would have been the same part as the 911. But you could have had my part, I don't see the use in it. Better than BMW that pipes in canned sounds.

MaxLTV 03-16-2017 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by porsche42 (Post 14036054)
Better than BMW that pipes in canned sounds.

But with BMW you can make it sound like any engine you like! So it is better.
</sarcasm>

FBA 03-17-2017 11:50 PM

Disconnected mine long ago...

lucian95 05-06-2017 08:38 AM

Sound symposer 991.2 Turbo S

I'm glad I came across this topic. I've been driving my car for a year now (purchased in 2016) and I was a bit surprised by the "booming" sound above 2000 rpm in normal mode and even more so in Sport or Sport+ modes. It was unpleasant to my ears and quite a surprise compared to my previous 997 TTS from 2011. I couldn't quite rationalize whether it is poor cabin sound isolation or tires. Don't take me wrong, I like the engine sound, but that was not it. I felt like I will go deaf after longer trips. After reseraching this topic on various boards, I came across this topic on Rennlist. I took my car to P dealer, service manager took a ride with me and quickly agreed that the sound in the cabin was way out of what should one normally experience in this particular model. They scheduled a service appointment as they suspect sound symposer could be an issue or something along those lines. I will let you know what comes out of this, but was also wondering whether any of you have ever had this experience with your 991 TTS.