Sponsored by: Road Spy

Best exhaust for turbo noises

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:41 PM
george919
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best exhaust for turbo noises

Like the title says, what are the best exhausts that promote turbo noise and over engine noise as well? Also has there been any companies that cracked the porsche ecu or gotten the car above 650hp?

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:10 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

100 CEL cats will give you the most Turbo spool noise. I won't name manufacturers because it's a big controversy about this subject,you'll have to research yourself.
Nobody managed to crack Porsche's ECU. There are tuning modules out there that are " fooling " it...
Old 01-27-2015, 08:28 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
100 CEL cats will give you the most Turbo spool noise. I won't name manufacturers because it's a big controversy about this subject,you'll have to research yourself.
Nobody managed to crack Porsche's ECU. There are tuning modules out there that are " fooling " it...
GIAC offers a flash tune -- not a piggyback. A GIAC dealer with the right equipment can simply plug their computer into your TT or TTS and reflash you ECU on the spot. As far as I know, GIAC is the only flash tune available for the 991 TT and TTS and the rest are piggybacks. With a GIAC stage 2, they claim a gain of about 90 horsepower which should take you to 650 or so at the crank. Champion will be releasing intercoolers at some point in 2015 and that should allow another power bump up from 650.

As for exhaust, Europipe has 100 cell cats. That is the exhaust I chose. There are louder exhausts on the market, however but that is not what I wanted. I wanted normal volume in normal and more sound in sport or sport plus at higher revs and, more importantly, freer flow for the GIAC flash.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:33 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

The "search tool" is your friend when you apply the term "Best" to this topic...

Those of us who have invested in one of the various AM (after market) exhaust systems will have an opinion, and no matter how we try to objectify our comments... it's still a subjective opinion that's been beaten like a rented mule already on many previous threads.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:10 AM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by george919
Like the title says, what are the best exhausts that promote turbo noise and over engine noise as well? Also has there been any companies that cracked the porsche ecu or gotten the car above 650hp?

Thanks!
Here is a youtube of my car, it's got the FVD sound exhaust but it also has FVD headers and you can definitely hear the spooling of the Turbos in normal driving. Watch the whole video as it includes some good drive by's as well. Yu can definitely hear the Tubos spooling.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:24 AM
rjn1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Massively subjective and subject to fan boy 'ism re particular manufacturers,
but here is OEM cats and after market exhaust:

here is 200 cell cats, no CEL, and same after market exhaust:

The cats certainly add spool noise and "pops".
Old 01-31-2015, 07:12 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
100 CEL cats will give you the most Turbo spool noise.
Agree the more reduction in back pressure from behind the turbo is the main thing that allows more spool volume.

OP the stock cats are 600 cel so obviously soak most of the spool sounds up. Now I have the EP system which uses the tri flow 100 cel cats. I found with the stock system the spool up was barely even audible on the outside. Inside with the stock always had that hushing sound letting you know the turbos were boosting up which was quite nice still, but now there is about 10% more volume to that situation plus the hushing element has a more of a crispness to it and, more of a distincter whistle to it now than what it had when stock. To describe the sound and spool differences outside the spool up is very audible now. You can really hear it easily. It is easily distinguished as a turbo engine now. Unmistakeable. Volume wise on the outside it sounds much like a 991S with the PSE on, but with a lot of turbo whistle going on. It sounds hot. There is no doubt it is a Porsche engine too and not some other car. When you apply throttle inputs the turbo spool becomes even louder. It will bark on the outside more than a pse (maybe 20% louder I think...or could be a bit less) at wot and has a great combo of exhaust sound and turbo whistle.

Edit: Sorry don't have a sound clip. Not really a believer in those anyway in so far as making an accurate determination of how the cars sounds in real life. One day I will make one when I get the time.

Last edited by speed21; 01-31-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Best exhaust for turbo noises