Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Well, that's cleaned up

Old 01-25-2015, 03:47 PM
DaveChapin
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Well, that's cleaned up

While I was away I had my garage floor redone.

First coating failed. It looked pretty good for 3 years. But then the clear coat had effectively worn away (in the traffic areas) and could not be easily cleaned. That was bad enough. But then about 2 years after that, the bond started failing in a few places between the coating and concrete. Then about a month ago the coating started coming up in sheets. That was the last straw.

Now the home is suitable for the new resident.

One before and some After pictures...
Attached Images      
Old 01-25-2015, 05:54 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

I have always done race deck. One of my garages is 8 years old the other only 3 but no issues.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:01 PM
DaveChapin
Advanced

A race deck floor can certainly look sharp; but I just always preferred a shiny, smooth floor. Having said that, if I ever do this again, it's probably going to be porcelain tile.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:14 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveChapin
While I was away I had my garage floor redone.

First coating failed. It looked pretty good for 3 years. But then the clear coat had effectively worn away (in the traffic areas) and could not be easily cleaned. That was bad enough. But then about 2 years after that, the bond started failing in a few places between the coating and concrete. Then about a month ago the coating started coming up in sheets. That was the last straw.

Now the home is suitable for the new resident.

One before and some After pictures...
I love racing yellow on the 991TTS.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:32 AM
DragonRR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Even your old garage floor looked about 1000 times better than my current garage floor. To be fair we live in a 900 year old house and can't have a proper garage so the garage is really an open "farm" building. Still there are advantages... our cats get to use my 911 as a scratch post and birds use the car roof as a a litter tray..
Old 01-26-2015, 01:31 PM
Botox
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Floor looks great, would love to hear what brand of epoxy was used. How long before final coat and when you could drive on it? I have had similar failure of epoxy in my garage that I need to get redone. Did they strip all old epoxy off completely or prep existing remaining epoxy and go ontop of that? Considering cement sealer versus redoing the epoxy. I think prep wasn't done properly first time.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:34 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

I am in the industrial construction business. Epoxy floor almost always give problems, even with a pro doing the cleaning, prep and application.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:42 PM
Botox
Advanced

Originally Posted by carcommander
I am in the industrial construction business. Epoxy floor almost always give problems, even with a pro doing the cleaning, prep and application.
Since my epoxy failed likely secondary to prep, what do you recommend doing? I was thinking of stripping it out and doing some form of cement sealant with some color? What would you do?
Old 01-26-2015, 06:43 PM
DaveChapin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Botox
Floor looks great, would love to hear what brand of epoxy was used. How long before final coat and when you could drive on it? I have had similar failure of epoxy in my garage that I need to get redone. Did they strip all old epoxy off completely or prep existing remaining epoxy and go ontop of that? Considering cement sealer versus redoing the epoxy. I think prep wasn't done properly first time.
They stripped off all of the old coating (put down by a different firm) which was a polyurea with polyurethane top coat. Then they used these huge diamond grinders on the main floor area and hand grinders under the cabinets and along edges.

I'm not sure about the exact sku of the epoxies applied, but I believe all formulations were made by Westcoat. I can say the application involved several coats of a material. First was a colorless epoxy layer thinned with acetone (something like 5 mils). The 2nd was the main 10/12 mil 100% solids epoxy layer. Then color chips into that.

Then another layer, this time 10/12 mil clear top coat applied in I think two passes. Application took 2 days. And then we stayed off it completely for another 3 days.

The firm that did the original coating was I think more known for cabinet install than flooring. So on my 2nd try here I went with a firm that just does coatings and has a mix of commercial & residential customers.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:23 AM
Botox
Advanced

Thanks for all the info, hopefully will get my floor done right the second time as well.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:44 AM
918fan
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That yellow on TTS is outstanding!
Old 01-27-2015, 12:06 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The garage is coming along nicely The car looks great by the way.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:32 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Botox
Since my epoxy failed likely secondary to prep, what do you recommend doing? I was thinking of stripping it out and doing some form of cement sealant with some color? What would you do?
Race deck or similar product. I put down myself in an hour. I have never been able to damage a tile but if you did you just snap another in. No prep needed.

Epoxy floors look great but in time almost always lift.

My turbo on 8 year old race deck.
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2015, 03:00 AM
DaveChapin
Advanced

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
The garage is coming along nicely The car looks great by the way.
Thanks. I hate to admit it, but apart from the floor not looking good, the main reason I did this was that it didn't look good with the car. Even if the floor was spotless, the tan and yellow just didn't go very well together.

I thought a neutral, dark color would contrast better with the racing yellow.
After all, the house is just an accessory to the car, right?
Old 01-28-2015, 03:00 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn that looks nice! I'd do the same but would be afraid it would start coming up after a few years. I got a quote from someone who specializes in garage floors and their quote was more than the RaceDeck product so I'm torn on what direction to go for my floor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well, that's cleaned up