Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Why less activity here than on 991 GT3 forum?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 09:58 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewP
I have wondered about the OP's question as well.

Speed 21's point about the TT/TTS being well sorted could be one reason, although aside from the engine fix on the 991 GT3, it is also well sorted. Perhaps the GT3 folks are on track a lot more so maintenance is more urgent. The GT3 is a more emotive machine to many, what with the lower stance, spoilers and terrific sound. Not sure if the GT3 set is an older demographic, as I have met more than a few 997 and 991 GT3 owners who are well north of 50 and most of them never put their cars on the track, which is a pity. In fact several say that they only take their cars out on sunny weekend afternoons and own them as collectors. They have been a decent investment even in the short term. I have not visited the GT3 forum much at all and check in here to learn about the TTS and share my experience with it. The visits have been extremely instructive and the members most helpful. I received some potent advice from a couple of GT3 members on the CL question I posted on the TT forum. Maybe the GT3 owners are more hands-on with their cars that TT owners so have more details to share.
BINGO!!
Old 12-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

Right now 108/1 , I am alone here !
Old 12-11-2014, 05:16 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Karl911
Right now 108/1 , I am alone here !
It was 91 on the GT3 forum and 6 here a moment ago. I wonder how many GT3's and Turbos/S's are out there?
Old 12-11-2014, 07:24 PM
zedosix
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

There are three times as many guests as forum members surfing the forum at any given moment. I believe the majority of them are more interested in the GT3 since there was so much hype about the car. And to be honest it does look pretty sick.
They just dont' realize that the better car is the TT.

Last edited by zedosix; 12-13-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:54 PM
shawsan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the main reason there's far less activity on the Turbo forum vs. GT3, is the 991 turbo isn't that much of a departure from the 997.2 Turbo, whereas the 991 GT3 is a big step forward over the 997 GT3. Thus, the 991 Turbo didn't generate a rush of interest.

For example, the 997.2 Gen Turbo S is as fast or faster than the 991 Turbo S up to 60mph and 1/4 mile, and thus the 997.2 got big hype for its 0-60 times of 2.6-2.8 seconds in its heyday, whereas similar performance of the 991 TTS doesn't elicit much added interest today. Both cars also look pretty similar, with little stylistically to differentiate them.

No doubt the 991 TTS is a formidable machine and multi-talented, but so too was the 997.2 TTS. People tend to be more enthused about something new on the block, and the 991 GT3 fits that bill moreso, IMHO.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:01 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The 991 TT/TTS are incredible cars....as I have said over on 991 GT3, I just don't think as a overall majority that TT owners are as engaged as enthusiast like the GT3 owners are (991 TT/TTS RL members not included in this, but you all make up a very small percentage of total owners). It is more of an owner base observation than a knock against the car. My track use pushed me the GT3 route but I drove a TTS for almost 2 months and I can't say enough good things about it (only wish it shed some lbs). I applaud the owners on here that enjoy discussing the car and wish there were more of you out there but the fact remains that a big % of the buyers just want the fastest, most expensive 911 offered by Porsche for the image perception, not the enthusiast factor.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:42 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

The 991GT3 forum is very active because it is a different breed of owner. Minimalist 911 drivers along with a good mix of track ******.

Same deal with the 997GT3 forum....
Old 12-13-2014, 10:20 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shawsan
I think the main reason there's far less activity on the Turbo forum vs. GT3, is the 991 turbo isn't that much of a departure from the 997.2 Turbo, whereas the 991 GT3 is a big step forward over the 997 GT3. Thus, the 991 Turbo didn't generate a rush of interest.

For example, the 997.2 Gen Turbo S is as fast or faster than the 991 Turbo S up to 60mph and 1/4 mile, and thus the 997.2 got big hype for its 0-60 times of 2.6-2.8 seconds in its heyday, whereas similar performance of the 991 TTS doesn't elicit much added interest today. Both cars also look pretty similar, with little stylistically to differentiate them.

No doubt the 991 TTS is a formidable machine and multi-talented, but so too was the 997.2 TTS. People tend to be more enthused about something new on the block, and the 991 GT3 fits that bill moreso, IMHO.
Originally Posted by sccchiii
The 991 TT/TTS are incredible cars....as I have said over on 991 GT3, I just don't think as a overall majority that TT owners are as engaged as enthusiast like the GT3 owners are (991 TT/TTS RL members not included in this, but you all make up a very small percentage of total owners). It is more of an owner base observation than a knock against the car. My track use pushed me the GT3 route but I drove a TTS for almost 2 months and I can't say enough good things about it (only wish it shed some lbs). I applaud the owners on here that enjoy discussing the car and wish there were more of you out there but the fact remains that a big % of the buyers just want the fastest, most expensive 911 offered by Porsche for the image perception, not the enthusiast factor.
I love the GT3. It is an awesome and maybe historic model and shawsan and sccchiii make very good points about the enthusiast quotient regarding the GT3. However, to me the 991 TTS has meaningful design and mechanical differences from the 997.2 TTS. I cannot speak for other TTS owners nor do I know the % of owners that just wanted the most expensive 991 offered. I do not plan to track much, will not race the TTS and got it instead of the GT3 because I can drive it year round in NE and was willing to take the hit on aftermarket value vs the solid aftermarket value of the 991 GT3. It proved to be a very comfortable touring vehicle as well.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:55 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would mostly concur with Andrew P's comments here. Having driven both, and owning two 997 models previous to 991TTS I completely disagree there is insufficient physical and mechanical differences. Being able to modernize the look of 911 and still have it look unmistakably a 911 has been the main success of the car! The number of people I've spoken to about 997 and 991 (both Porsche and non Porsche owners) have ALL commented 991 car has significantly modernized 911 making 997 looking really quite old and dated alongside, particularly gen 1.997. Needless to add just a quick drive of both series back to back in varying road and traffic environments will confirm large improvements made everywhere. That is hard to miss, yet always overlooked by those with no first hand experience.

The 0 to 60 numbers between 997tts and 991tts simply don't reflect the advantages 991 has over 997 and I suspect the same situation would apply with the new 991gt3. I also don't buy any talk that 997tts is "faster" anywhere... and, the same would again apply to 997gt3 up against 991gt3.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:57 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The only advantage of the 991 turbo over the 997.2 turbo s is one. They made it have automatic head lights.

.......Oh and I guess maybe moving the engine in front of the rear axle helped too.....

Honestly after now owning a .2 turbo S currently and driving the new one. Literally to me that is the only noticeable difference that makes any impact in my life. Yea maybe you can say the interior is nicer. I also like the clock function of the sport chrono for the new porsches.

Other than that they are the same. Look almost the same, perform almost the same, ride almost the same.

EDIT: One more thing, the ventilated/heated seats look way better with a few holes than the new seats with 5 million holes. Also the seat warmer on my .2 turbo s gives me just the right amount of warming while the 991 seat warmers burns my a$$ or is too cold .
Old 12-15-2014, 04:59 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
I would mostly concur with Andrew P's comments here. Having driven both, and owning two 997 models previous to 991TTS I completely disagree there is insufficient physical and mechanical differences. Being able to modernize the look of 911 and still have it look unmistakably a 911 has been the main success of the car! The number of people I've spoken to about 997 and 991 (both Porsche and non Porsche owners) have ALL commented 991 car has significantly modernized 911 making 997 looking really quite old and dated alongside, particularly gen 1.997. Needless to add just a quick drive of both series back to back in varying road and traffic environments will confirm large improvements made everywhere. That is hard to miss, yet always overlooked by those with no first hand experience.

The 0 to 60 numbers between 997tts and 991tts simply don't reflect the advantages 991 has over 997 and I suspect the same situation would apply with the new 991gt3. I also don't buy any talk that 997tts is "faster" anywhere... and, the same would again apply to 997gt3 up against 991gt3.
The 997.2 GT3 and 991 GT3 are worlds different. They made it have insane performance and comfortable enough truly for DD duty.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:16 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v

The only advantage of the 991 turbo over the 997.2 turbo s is one. They made it have automatic head lights.

.......Oh and I guess maybe moving the engine in front of the rear axle helped too.....

Honestly after now owning a .2 turbo S currently and driving the new one. Literally to me that is the only noticeable difference that makes any impact in my life. Yea maybe you can say the interior is nicer. I also like the clock function of the sport chrono for the new porsches.

Other than that they are the same. Look almost the same, perform almost the same, ride almost the same.

EDIT: One more thing, the ventilated/heated seats look way better with a few holes than the new seats with 5 million holes. Also the seat warmer on my .2 turbo s gives me just the right amount of warming while the 991 seat warmers burns my a$$ or is too cold .
Huh??

Keep telling yourself all that, and at least one person might believe it...
Old 12-15-2014, 08:27 PM
speed21
Banned

Gunner don't worry man the minority of diehards will always cling to their justifications in a bid to refute their car as been relegated. Actually, to read these were the only notable differences indicts he is ham fisted as a driver and, blind with his visual observations. Quite amusing.... Oh, but 991 gt3 made big steps, 991TTS not so
Old 12-15-2014, 09:02 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v

Wow...really? I owned a .2 TTS and I was blown away by new TTS. After listening to a friend rant and rave about the 991 TTS I agreed to watch over his car while he was out of town for a couple months and from my point of view it was a game changer for me, enough so that I'm adding one to my garage...... It was not because of auto headlights either!? You need to actually drive one not just look inside of the car?
Old 12-15-2014, 10:11 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Wow...really? I owned a .2 TTS and I was blown away by new TTS. After listening to a friend rant and rave about the 991 TTS I agreed to watch over his car while he was out of town for a couple months and from my point of view it was a game changer for me, enough so that I'm adding one to my garage...... It was not because of auto headlights either!? You need to actually drive one not just look inside of the car?
LOL. Hey the auto headlights are awesome though! Truly are. About time the 911 got that feature!! Shameful it took so long! I really can't fault the current car, it is utterly sensational in every way, but i'm sure they will make .2 better again. Don't ask me how but they always do.

As an improvement: I'd like to see PAG put the sports and sports plus functions into the MF steering wheel. That would be much better! Maybe change the door sill plastics to carbon to match the illuminated carbon sills and also make the centre console storage larger with a usb outlet. Currently not deal breakers but the car deserves better there.

Quick Reply: Why less activity here than on 991 GT3 forum?