Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Turbo S Backup Camera

Old 12-17-2014, 01:33 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewP
but dude, you are driving a magnificent automobile that in every other respect is very high quality. From the engineering and design to the flawless build everything in my TTS is exceptional. No, Porsche is not perfect, as we saw with the faulty connection in the 991 GT3 engines. But the company swiftly addressed that problem and extended the warranty for the re-engined cars.
Lol. Connecting this camera issue to the GT3 engine recall ... I can't say I saw that coming.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:43 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

At least you guys have a backup camera. All I have are the front and rear sensors (which actually work surprisingly well).
Old 05-17-2017, 06:19 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

My car's production date is 2013 and it doesn't have a rear view camera.

I got used to having those on all of my cars and thus don't feel comfortable not having it on the 911.

I approached dealer asking if it is available as an additional equipment having good experience with BMWs in the past with this. The response I got was clear: NO POSSIBILITY.

The delaer also stated that in case I add the camera and connect it to PCM they may annul the car's warranty. Strange approach.

Any thoughts/ideas on the above? I don't like the look of aftermarket camera where you have a separate button shown in this topic earlier.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-18-2017, 09:58 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by kart driver
My car's production date is 2013 and it doesn't have a rear view camera.

I got used to having those on all of my cars and thus don't feel comfortable not having it on the 911.

I approached dealer asking if it is available as an additional equipment having good experience with BMWs in the past with this. The response I got was clear: NO POSSIBILITY.

The delaer also stated that in case I add the camera and connect it to PCM they may annul the car's warranty. Strange approach.

Any thoughts/ideas on the above? I don't like the look of aftermarket camera where you have a separate button shown in this topic earlier.

Thanks in advance!
The part about annulling the warranty is nonsense. You don't need to hack the software, hardware or wiring to install it, so your warranty is protected. Some dealers lie about this. Other dealers are more commercial and sell these aftermarket solutions.

Here is a link with details on how to do it. It uses aftermarket parts from NAVTV.

http://plenums.blogspot.com/2014/12/...rear-view.html

Alternatively for a low cost solution you could get a Pearl Backup Camera (plate frame solution connected to iPhone app).

The reason i have a white TTS is because I couldn't find a Sapphire Blue CPO one with backup camera, keyless go, burmester, two-tone leather, ACC+PAS, etc.

I also paid 10k over lower priced CPO cars for one with these options.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:52 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 857 Likes on 379 Posts

That's normal. The backup camera on my Turbo S is garbage. Interestingly, it is much better on my Panamera GTS
Old 05-18-2017, 02:32 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by unotaz
That's normal. The backup camera on my Turbo S is garbage. Interestingly, it is much better on my Panamera GTS
The 17 Panamera has an amazing backup camera with surround view. It's all about age. The version you and I have is a few years old. I find it adequate for the purpose.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:05 PM
kart driver
Racer

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
The part about annulling the warranty is nonsense. You don't need to hack the software, hardware or wiring to install it, so your warranty is protected. Some dealers lie about this. Other dealers are more commercial and sell these aftermarket solutions.

Here is a link with details on how to do it. It uses aftermarket parts from NAVTV.

http://plenums.blogspot.com/2014/12/...rear-view.html

Alternatively for a low cost solution you could get a Pearl Backup Camera (plate frame solution connected to iPhone app).

The reason i have a white TTS is because I couldn't find a Sapphire Blue CPO one with backup camera, keyless go, burmester, two-tone leather, ACC+PAS, etc.

Thank for the info!

I tried to search a bit more and found this:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8527...pcm-video.html

Very interesting project as the front camera migh be even more important given parking issues having no lift system as the one in 991.2

When you buy a new car configuring it as you wish - you can have all the options.
The dark grey metallic was the only color I wanted, burmester, PCCB, no glass roof, was an absolute must for me. Rear view camera was not that important for me and it seemed that it could be fixed easily.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:20 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Thank for the info!

I tried to search a bit more and found this:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8527...pcm-video.html

Very interesting project as the front camera migh be even more important given parking issues having no lift system as the one in 991.2
Yes its the same solution I posted - NavTV supports both front and rear cameras, and I agree it would be great to have a front camera.

One thing to watch out for - not all implementations support the parking lines on the rear camera. I think it is worth making sure you get those since they really do help.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:42 PM
kart driver
Racer

Yes its the same solution I posted - NavTV supports both front and rear cameras, and I agree it would be great to have a front camera.

One thing to watch out for - not all implementations support the parking lines on the rear camera. I think it is worth making sure you get those since they really do help.

What is the best known supplier of this NavTV components, I mean the whole set neeed? So that I buy it at one shop with dilivery it then to my place for further "no brainer" installation?
Old 05-18-2017, 06:17 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It will be a no brainer installation for you but the installer will spend some time routing the wires to the PCM from the back bumper. There are wireless back-up cameras that use a rear view LCD/mirror cover that might work for you.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:21 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

What is the best known supplier of this NavTV components, I mean the whole set neeed? So that I buy it at one shop with dilivery it then to my place for further "no brainer" installation?
You should buy the components from the installer. From a warranty perspective that is optimal. Just call around the high-end car audio and radar detector install places in your area. I have no idea where you live.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:30 PM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should buy the components from the installer. From a warranty perspective that is optimal. Just call around the high-end car audio and radar detector install places in your area. I have no idea where you live.
I seem to remember he lives in the Middle East, like Qatar. He wanted an exhaust but didn't know anyone who would sell out there.

We referred him to Sam at bydesign...maybe he knows someone out there?
Old 05-19-2017, 03:33 AM
kart driver
Racer

Originally Posted by pashaj
I seem to remember he lives in the Middle East, like Qatar. He wanted an exhaust but didn't know anyone who would sell out there.

We referred him to Sam at bydesign...maybe he knows someone out there?
Thanks for "the Middle East, like Qatar" ))))
In fact I live in Ukraine, which is part of Europe )))

Last edited by kart driver; 05-19-2017 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:52 AM
Actualizer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 2014 991 TTS which came with no camera. I was miserable. I was consumed with finding a solution. I am religiously an OEM man and stick to stock . I was pleasantly surprised to find that in my own neighborhood a fix awaited. These guys at jku.com.au aka Eurocar Upgrades are geniuses. They sources the 991 camera and harness from 991 track cars in Germany and did the whole job as per your car mapping over a 12 hour period . They hadn't done this before. Indeed I don't know if anyone had ever accomplished this prior to me. These gurus were calling experts in Europe and Russia as they were focused and determined. Wallah !! The install was done as per a showroom car all working in sync with the PCM.i was the happiest man on earth. Never new what a Rear camera could do to your sense of closure esp afteee spending a fortune on your dream car. I was lucky twice as the camera lost contact with the PCM when it went through Porsche service. I showed My Porsche dealer all the OEM stuff so they called Porsche Australia and installed the code key for the Official Porsche reverse camera software. I got a call from Porsche that my porsche camera is now " kosher" and they had checked it and that it is now embedded as an OEM porsche component on my car so will not be taken out ever since it's on Porsche firmware. Bottom line is get these guys to do your setup and get your local dealer to install the camera code. You will not regret it. This investment will complete your car. Talk to Martin. He is a genius.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:57 PM
kart driver
Racer

Originally Posted by Actualizer
I have the 2014 991 TTS which came with no camera. I was miserable. I was consumed with finding a solution. I am religiously an OEM man and stick to stock . I was pleasantly surprised to find that in my own neighborhood a fix awaited. These guys at jku.com.au aka Eurocar Upgrades are geniuses. They sources the 991 camera and harness from 991 track cars in Germany and did the whole job as per your car mapping over a 12 hour period . They hadn't done this before. Indeed I don't know if anyone had ever accomplished this prior to me. These gurus were calling experts in Europe and Russia as they were focused and determined. Wallah !! The install was done as per a showroom car all working in sync with the PCM.i was the happiest man on earth. Never new what a Rear camera could do to your sense of closure esp afteee spending a fortune on your dream car. I was lucky twice as the camera lost contact with the PCM when it went through Porsche service. I showed My Porsche dealer all the OEM stuff so they called Porsche Australia and installed the code key for the Official Porsche reverse camera software. I got a call from Porsche that my porsche camera is now " kosher" and they had checked it and that it is now embedded as an OEM porsche component on my car so will not be taken out ever since it's on Porsche firmware. Bottom line is get these guys to do your setup and get your local dealer to install the camera code. You will not regret it. This investment will complete your car. Talk to Martin. He is a genius.
Can you share the contact details?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo S Backup Camera