Sponsored by: Road Spy

Turbo S Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 11:46 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by robziv
Weird, my picture is pretty good and I can see all the way down the block. Maybe I have lower standards
...or better eyesight!

Old 10-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by robziv
Weird, my picture is pretty good and I can see all the way down the block. Maybe I have lower standards
+1 actually thought it was pretty clear until this thread....
Old 10-15-2014, 10:50 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ me too. I guess some have higher expectations than others.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:58 AM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, just so we aren't kidding ourselves, here is a side by side comparison between my 991tts backup camera and my much less expensive m5 backup camera. Lot more for the money in the m5.

Porsche should be embarrassed by the comparison but hey, I'm just the customer, what do I know? In addition, there is another view from the top and from the front if I want either of those in the m5.
Attached Images   
Old 10-16-2014, 03:30 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree it should be better in a $170+ car, but at least it lets you see what you need to see when reversing - people and walls...
Old 10-16-2014, 03:42 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wrs
OK, just so we aren't kidding ourselves, here is a side by side comparison between my 991tts backup camera and my much less expensive m5 backup camera. Lot more for the money in the m5.

Porsche should be embarrassed by the comparison but hey, I'm just the customer, what do I know? In addition, there is another view from the top and from the front if I want either of those in the m5.
Exactly. As someone noted, the problem may well be the resolution of the PCM screen +/- camera. My experience is that quality of images fall into the following tiers:
Best: BMW, Audi
Average: Toyota/Lexus, MB, Chrysler
Worse: GM, Porsche

Interestingly though, I had a Panamera loaner and although the image quality was still not as good as BMW, the implementation of surround view was better than BMW as it also includes a front camera and automated split screen depending on what direction the car is moving and what objects it detects.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:02 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The resolution of the PCM screen is almost certainly fine (all other screens like the NAV are reasonably high pixel count) so it's more likely the camera itself plus rushed implementation and poor software (codecs running the video and the hopeless overlay).

When I was purchasing my car I was surprised to find not a single rear camera available TTS in any UK dealer - new or nearly new. Now I can see why!

Really terrible quality, I'll stick with my overhead view of the wrong car (Carrera) and some coloured graphics!

As WCH BOS says - BMW, Audi reversing cameras are pretty good.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:05 AM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

@wrs: that second image is from a 991 911TTS backup camera?? The image on my 991TT backup camera doesn't look like that at all. First of all I can see imagery much more like the upper screen shot and secondly the graphical overlay looks quite a bit different as well...don't have the green/orange/red lines.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:17 AM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boxer-11
@wrs: that second image is from a 991 911TTS backup camera?? The image on my 991TT backup camera doesn't look like that at all. First of all I can see imagery much more like the upper screen shot and secondly the graphical overlay looks quite a bit different as well...don't have the green/orange/red lines.
Yep, that was taken sitting in the garage. It is an example of how in bad lighting the image is terrible. It is better than that if I was outside but you can see how much better job the M5 does of adapting to the light difference. The 911 camera is never as good as the BMW but the Cayenne is sometimes.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:34 AM
Snorman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrs

I realized the day I picked up my TT the backup camera resolution was bad. But that comparison makes you realize how bad it really is.
S.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:37 AM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wrs
Yep, that was taken sitting in the garage. It is an example of how in bad lighting the image is terrible. It is better than that if I was outside but you can see how much better job the M5 does of adapting to the light difference. The 911 camera is never as good as the BMW but the Cayenne is sometimes.
I agree. Although I also agree that when the TT/TTS is moving forward, it's fun and impressive.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:14 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by boxer-11
Neither does mine... weird!
Old 10-17-2014, 04:07 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It could just be faulty. The foreground up to the edge of wrs's garage looks ok (bottom quarter of the screen). The rest (top 3/4) is really pixellated. And of course... why are other reporting different graphics? What graphics do you all get?
Old 10-17-2014, 06:14 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts

I have two thick yellow lines that show my backup path (bending if I turn the wheel). I do NOT have the green/orange/red lines shown in the second pic above. Also, my lines converge toward each other toward the top, as parallel lines do when receding in the distance (and as the green lines do in the first picture); they do NOT form a rectangle as they do in the second picture. And overall picture quality is far better than the second picture, close to if not better than the first picture.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:05 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

wrs - do you have an aftermarket rear view camera in your car? You have an early 2014 if I remember correctly.

I have the OEM factory one and it is perhaps a little better than the pictures above but no where near as clear as the BMW.

Quick Reply: Turbo S Backup Camera