Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   CL Wheel Question (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/838071-cl-wheel-question.html)

AndrewP 10-09-2014 09:46 PM

CL Wheel Question

How many DIY on CL wheel dismount/mount?

I expect to have the dealer dismount/mount wheels, but have the right torque wrench and wheel guide for avoiding the PCCB rotors if I have to do it myself. Wheel and tire insurance makes it easy, although have not needed it. I would plan to use the stock repair stuff for temporary repairs to a flat, but have a plug kit also.

There is definitely unfavorable sentiment regarding CL wheels on these forums, as the five lugs are familiar and do not require the hub maintenance, particularly if one tracks.

neanicu 10-09-2014 10:38 PM

Hothonda 10-10-2014 03:51 PM

and repeat only 3 more times.

kyrocks 10-10-2014 07:52 PM

I've had my RS for 3 years and it has CL. I've changed wheels on it many times. It's not hard if you have someone helping you. Haters will be haters. I say stop the whining.

Karl911 10-11-2014 08:26 AM

What is the big deal?
Just go buy a TQ wrench from Advanced Auto Parts.

AndrewP 10-11-2014 10:11 AM

no big deal

Originally Posted by Karl911 (Post 11714402)
What is the big deal?
Just go buy a TQ wrench from Advanced Auto Parts.

Got a Precision Instruments 200-600 ft. lb torque wrench on Amazon also a wheel guide from 3R Racing.

What I do not understand are all the negative comments about CL's on forums.

Fred Flintstone 10-11-2014 02:10 PM

I know next to nothing about working on cars and I don't do any of my own maintenance. But, if I was going to do such things, from the video above, I don't see why all the negativity about CL's. Does seem like rocket science to me and I didn't see this guy struggling much. What is all the fuss about?

Then again, I don't know why CL's are such a big deal. What is so good about CL's? Does it really matter how your wheels are bolted on to the car (as long as they are not gonna fall off)?

disden 10-11-2014 05:21 PM

As I've said on prior posts, since I have no intention of ever changing my tires or wheels I could care less if they are CLs or 5 lugs. Just want the most bitchin wheels Porsche makes, so I ordered the CLs on my Turbo. They are amazing looking; wouldn't mind getting a black set too once GTS parts become available.

GrandLaker 10-12-2014 09:51 AM

Love my CL's. Another thing that separates the Turbo S from all others. I noticed the 5 lug option on the Turbo's is now offered on other Porsche vehicles too, no thanks!

I'mAllIn 10-12-2014 10:21 PM

Nice video. The floor jack is coming in from behind the car. What jacking point is he using?

oreo2020 10-24-2014 06:32 PM

Hi every body, I'm a new to this forum and this threat caught my attention. I have ordered my car with CL. It is my first Porsche with out thinking of the pro's and con's. The sales rep. didn't bother to explain. I have ordered the inflatable tire. Does this tire comes with the necessary tools to dismount and mount the tire if it goes flat?

AndrewP 10-24-2014 07:23 PM

A 200-600 ft. lb 3/4" drive torque wrench, a breaker bar to loosen the hub nut as well as a brake depressor or friend to hold the brake pedal and steering wheel and aluminum grease (order from dealer) are necessary along with a jack, of course, to dismount and mount CL wheels. The video above is an excellent guide. Not sure that one needs such a long extension for the breaker bar, but it would certainly make loosening easier. Precision Instruments has the right torque wrench and breaker bar extension. The hub socket comes with the car. You might also want to get a wheel mount/dismount guide, such as the one in the video from 3R Racing or you can get a Porsche mounting alignment tool for a bit more money. Given all of the above, it is clear why many do not want CL's.

Don't know anything about an inflatable tire. There is no room for one in the car unless it is in the back seat area. Even then, might not be a good idea to mount a front wheel/tire on the rear. The factory kit for emergency tire repair with an air compressor are standard equipment. I got wheel and tire insurance and do not expect to change a tire on the road. A sidewall puncture will require a flatbed to the dealer. I do plan to mount my winter wheels because I can do so in the relative comfort and safety of my garage.

Be sure to read the owner's manual.

oreo2020 10-24-2014 07:32 PM

Thanks for the info...

Hothonda 10-25-2014 04:11 PM

Good photo...but picture Billy Bob's towing fixing it on the shoulder of I-5 in the rain at night.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2....jpeg~original

carguy84 10-25-2014 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hothonda (Post 11751768)
Good photo...but picture Billy Bob's towing fixing it on the shoulder of I-5 in the rain at night.

Does the Turbo have a spare? Never even asked about that one.