Sponsored by: Road Spy

Winter Wheels - Carrera S OEM vs. HRE FFO1

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 06:27 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Winter Wheels - Carrera S OEM vs. HRE FFO1

Now that we are into October, am seriously shopping for winter wheels and tires. (Still trying to sell my 19 inch BBS set from my C2S, btw)

Am trying to decide between a set of HRE FF01 (not the super expensive ones) and a Carrera S wheel package that my dealer has available. Both would have Michelin Alpin snows. The sets are roughly the same cost, with the HRE package being slightly more before taxes. Part of the additional cost comes from necessary spacers for the rear.

You can see the HRE wheel here - http://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/hre-flowform/ff01

Feel a bit underwhelmed at running Carrera S wheels on the car, but they are OEM. They will be much easier to sell next season if I decide to go to a TurboS with CL wheels.

Thoughts?
Old 10-03-2014, 07:13 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

They both look good but I would go with the Carrera S wheels. They are OEM and thus will be easier to replace on if they get damaged and the market for selling will be bigger. But I like the simplicity of the Carrera S wheels too.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:13 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The HRE's are handsome wheels. Why not go with 20's? Yes, factory Carrera S wheels are very attractive, but not so sure how they look on a TT. I ordered a factory set of Turbo S wheels/winter tires with TMPS sensors from Suncoast a week or so ago. They expected them from Germany in 3-4 weeks, but I got the tracking number of the shipment to me two days ago, so no last minute rush when it gets too cold for summer compound tires. Reasons: appearance, strength, apparently low package price (I did not do a lot of research on this point because i like the TS wheels) and pre-mounted TMPS. Also, I can fit the wheels with track tires for summer so will have two summer sets. They could not tell me what tires are fitted, but despite some groans about the stock Pirelli's, I have found them to be versatile. I've never run winter Pirellis, just Michelin, Bridgestone and Dunlop and all performed well here in winter, so I expect the same from Pirellis.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:54 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

They will definitely be 20s. Both the HRE and Carrera S wheels are 20s. Suncoast is selling the 5 lug Turbo wheel package for $7k. It is $2k more than the wheels I am considering. The HREs are a few lbs lighter at each corner. Tough call.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:49 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default HRE's...

are the way to go then. Last time I checked HRE P 101's the wheels alone cost $1K more that the factory TTS winter package.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:26 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AndrewP
are the way to go then. Last time I checked HRE P 101's the wheels alone cost $1K more that the factory TTS winter package.
P101s are amazing. Those wheels alone are more than $2k greater than an OEM winter wheel and tire package.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:47 PM
djlynch
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 48 Posts

I was going through same decision process. I decided against the oem s wheels and am mounting Michelin pa4s to my stock sport technos for this winter. Then I'm going with hre p40sc or p101s next spring. I am comparing to Forgeline also.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:49 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Carrera S wheels on a Turbo? Not for me. I do love the HREs, though, and the liquid silver would look great with your GT silver exterior.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:00 AM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by djlynch
I was going through same decision process. I decided against the oem s wheels and am mounting Michelin pa4s to my stock sport technos for this winter. Then I'm going with hre p40sc or p101s next spring. I am comparing to Forgeline also.
That's a good plan. I personally have never owned a car that did not wind up with a scuffed wheel. I can't drop that much for a wheel knowing it is only a matter of time before it meets Mr. Curb. The FF01 is half the cost of p101s.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:05 PM
djlynch
Pro

Originally Posted by enzom
That's a good plan. I personally have never owned a car that did not wind up with a scuffed wheel. I can't drop that much for a wheel knowing it is only a matter of time before it meets Mr. Curb. The FF01 is half the cost of p101s.
Very true,just scuffed my sport technos yesterday. Going to call wheel doctor. Minor but I'm ocd and would like it touched up repaired.

Are those ff01s appearance wise as nice as the p101s?
Old 10-05-2014, 04:46 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Very true,just scuffed my sport technos yesterday. Going to call wheel doctor. Minor but I'm ocd and would like it touched up repaired. Are those ff01s appearance wise as nice as the p101s?
I looked at the gallery pictures for that wheel, and they look pretty sweet. I'm OCD like you. And if I knew I had just shelled out $2500 for a wheel that I just scratched, I would be pretty miffed. Those wheels become focal points, and people will pick up on the scratch.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:38 PM
djlynch
Pro

I looked at the gallery pictures for that wheel, and they look pretty sweet. I'm OCD like you. And if I knew I had just shelled out $2500 for a wheel that I just scratched, I would be pretty miffed. Those wheels become focal points, and people will pick up on the scratch.
True. I'm trying to decide on the hre setup I eant for spring. The P40sc is cheaper than p101
Old 10-05-2014, 05:50 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

True. I'm trying to decide on the hre setup I eant for spring. The P40sc is cheaper than p101
Ha - "cheaper". Maybe a tad bit less expensive. Either way - gorgeous wheels.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:00 PM
djlynch
Pro

Ha - "cheaper". Maybe a tad bit less expensive. Either way - gorgeous wheels.
Ha ha. Yes cheap should not be used in same sentence with hre.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:59 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does wheel weight matter much if you're running winter tires?

Quick Reply: Winter Wheels - Carrera S OEM vs. HRE FFO1