Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Winter Wheels - Carrera S OEM vs. HRE FFO1

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 04:05 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

enzom, have you confirmed that the Carrera S wheel with its different offsets will work on a TT? I've got a Turbo inbound (any day hopefully) and am hoping to use my Carrera S winter rim/ tire package on the Turbo. Still haven't gotten a solid answer from my dealer's service/ parts department whether the wheel will be compatible. I'm hoping they are.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:17 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by eg991
enzom, have you confirmed that the Carrera S wheel with its different offsets will work on a TT? I've got a Turbo inbound (any day hopefully) and am hoping to use my Carrera S winter rim/ tire package on the Turbo. Still haven't gotten a solid answer from my dealer's service/ parts department whether the wheel will be compatible. I'm hoping they are.
My dealer tried to sell me the Carrera S set as my winter wheel/tire package and showed me the printout from the computer that showed the wheel as fitting the Turbo. Interesting thing is the rear offset on the Carrera S wheel is 70, but on the Turbo wheel it is 56. But when I bought my 19 inch BBS from TireRack last year to use on my C2S, the rear offset of the wheel was 56, not 70. And I just mounted the rear wheels without any spacers. Not quite an "I am sure that they will fit", but I think they will.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:20 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mgent
Does wheel weight matter much if you're running winter tires?
Aren't we always trying to minimize unsprung weight? That's one of the reasons we pay $10k for PCCBs.

The question I have been asking is whether lighter weight means a bent wheel from a pothole that the OEM wheels would have survived. Never an easy answer for anything.

Thank GOD we can't have a stick vs. PDK debate in this forum.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:30 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha on the PDK comment!

I'm no engineer, but I don't think it's a 1:1 correlation on lighter vs. bent wheels... I would imagine different materials, designs, etc impact that more then pure weight...

I can also think of a number of reasons many order PCCBs, none of which are weight I've always used aftermarket/performance wheels for my spring/summer tires, and put the snows on the stock rims, since performance is somewhat compromised on Sottozeros, etc...
Old 10-07-2014, 03:16 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enzom
My dealer tried to sell me the Carrera S set as my winter wheel/tire package and showed me the printout from the computer that showed the wheel as fitting the Turbo. Interesting thing is the rear offset on the Carrera S wheel is 70, but on the Turbo wheel it is 56. But when I bought my 19 inch BBS from TireRack last year to use on my C2S, the rear offset of the wheel was 56, not 70. And I just mounted the rear wheels without any spacers. Not quite an "I am sure that they will fit", but I think they will.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to keep pressing my dealer for a firm answer on this and will post when I get certain confirmation that the Carrera S rims will fit.

Quick Reply: Winter Wheels - Carrera S OEM vs. HRE FFO1