Sponsored by: Road Spy

Rattle Sound / Creaking Sound from Glass Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 11:56 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rattle Sound / Creaking Sound from Glass Sunroof

I noticed today a strange rattle sound or creaking noise from my glass moonroof or from the passenger window area. Has anyone had a similar issue? What was the fix?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:19 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gleek48
I noticed today a strange rattle sound or creaking noise from my glass moonroof or from the passenger window area. Has anyone had a similar issue? What was the fix?
I recall when I first test drove a new TTS with a glass roof it also had a creaking from the top of the glass where it seats into the top of the rubber. It wasn't a deal breaker but it was enough to annoy and I was a bit disappointed to be honest. I recall the same thing happening on my 997tt a few times, and it had a roof but not as big as the glass roof. I was hoping Porsche had got over that issue. If you spray some silicone spray into the rubber U seal which the glass slides up into it will fix it. The feeling I got when driving the car with the glass roof was it was not as rigid as the sun-roofless version. Not saying don't get a glass roof but to be prepared for a bit of silicone spray here and there.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:36 AM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Thanks Speed! Do you have a picture of the rubber seal?

I am taking it in next week and will see what they say. It's pretty annoying to have this creaking sound.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:37 AM
speed21
Banned

Picture not required Gleek. It is the rubber U which the top of the glass sits up in/pushes up against when the window is fully up. Just spray some silicone spray or wipe some on a rag and run it along the area which the top edge of the door glass sits in and that will do it.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:24 AM
jonnybravom3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gleek48
Had it when the car was brand new for the first month. Creaking would come and go when I would go over speed bumps. Told the dealer they said they couldn't replicate it lol. Anyway, it went away on its own. Guess as all the parts settle in when the car is new.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

I just got the car back from the dealer. They indicated that they had to adjust the roof and lubricate the tracks (like Speed said). Haven't driven it much since, but the creaking noise appears to be gone!
Old 08-05-2014, 01:31 AM
speed21
Banned

Good to hear its all sorted Gleek. I found the creak only appeared a handful of times over the ownership of my last turbo and seem to happen mainly when the air was humid. The silicone spray does the trick though.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:39 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I'll keep a can of the silicone spray to try that myself if it returns.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:09 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default squeaks

Strongly recommend against silicone spray. Use a dry spray lube instead.
But you need to clean out any goop and/or dirt first.
Dirt and dust are your enemy here. And silicone or white lithium is a magnet for the stuff. And it'll be a mess to clean when you need to.
No WD40 either That's good for about a week.
Use 303 or GummiPflede on the soft rubber / gaskets.
McLube spray is the fail-safe spray.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Rattle Sound / Creaking Sound from Glass Sunroof