Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

PDK Normal vs Sport

Old 07-20-2014, 05:05 PM
Badknees
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDK Normal vs Sport

How much difference is there between normal and sport upshifts ? I really can't tell much of a difference. In normal mode my upshifts delay about 1/2 second after I pull the paddle. (The gear indicator is immediate) Downshifts seem immediate.

Is there a learning cycle?
Old 07-20-2014, 05:55 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I was under the impression the Sport button changed the shifting profile, not how quickly it shifted.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:12 PM
Badknees
Racer

I'm concerned about the amount of time that elapses between pulling the upshift paddle and when the next higher gear engages. On my upshifts it's about 1/2 second. Downshifts are almost immediate.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:22 AM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

My experience is basically what Gus S said, the only bit of lag occuring at low speed between 1st and 2nd and only sometimes (in Sport).
Old 07-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Badknees
Racer

Originally Posted by smuoio
My experience is basically what Gus S said, the only bit of lag occuring at low speed between 1st and 2nd and only sometimes (in Sport).
Thanks - So when you're upshifting (not first to second) in normal mode, the car upshifts gears right when you pull the paddle and doesn't have about a 1/2 second delay?

I'm trying to figure out what's normal. I don't think a 1/2 second delay in gear engagement is normal.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:15 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

FWIW, my impression is that the delay between actuating the paddle and the shift taking place does vary a bit. Mostly it seems like it depends on what I'm doing with the throttle...occasionally it seems a little lazy (and I mean just a little) in making the upshift when I'm being less aggressive on the loud pedal, if you see what I mean. Seems the same to me in M and D with paddle actuation.

In M, I can't tell any difference in how long it takes to make the actual gear shift operation once it decides to do it, regardless of mode or what I'm doing with the throttle.

There's a BIG difference between normal, sport and sport plus in when the PDK will choose to shift when I leave it in D; that's the shift programming I guess.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Badknees
Racer

Thanks, boxer - you've given me another few things to check out.

Did y'all notice the shifts change the longer you owned the car?
Old 07-21-2014, 09:33 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Badknees
Thanks, boxer - you've given me another few things to check out.

Did y'all notice the shifts change the longer you owned the car?
No. I do recall there have been one or two occasions when there was a slight hesitation on the up-shift as if it the computer was having a split second rethink about something but 99% of the time all up-shifts and downshifts are immediate upon command. As boxer says it may have something to do with the throttle input or something like that to where the brain needs to double check?
Old 07-21-2014, 10:52 PM
zedosix
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The car is a bit slow and lazy in the normal mode, but 1/2 second upshifts are not what I experience.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:45 PM
08viper1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never,ever drive in Normal, always sport and let it do the work. Humans can NOT out do the PDK any were...

Well,maybe on a long highway cruise only...I mean,why would one drive a Porsche 911 Turbo S in Normal anyway ????
Old 07-21-2014, 11:51 PM
Badknees
Racer

I have a delay even when I'm in sport. From what y'all are experiencing, sounds like mine needs an adjustment. I'm going to put some more miles on it tomorrow and see if it changes.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:26 AM
speed21
Banned

Agree driving in normal is a waste of time. Just select sport straight away before you drive off,.. or I guess you can use normal but just use it in full manual mode so it doesn't hunt the taller gear like it does and that is so lame. Its kinda funny the whole normal mode and 7 speed fuel efficiency thing because the car is not as fuel efficient as the 997tt anyway. Silly. I feel I get better economy than normal in sports mode. I think if the engine is lugged around at really low revs getting drive power off the turbos low end boost it seems to suck fuel more. Can't be good for the car having it run at such low revs like that. Kinda pointless in a car like this driving it like that.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 AM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by smuoio
Thanks - So when you're upshifting (not first to second) in normal mode, the car upshifts gears right when you pull the paddle and doesn't have about a 1/2 second delay?

I'm trying to figure out what's normal. I don't think a 1/2 second delay in gear engagement is normal.
I don't drive in normal mode enough to know...
Old 07-22-2014, 02:36 PM
Badknees
Racer

There must be a learning process going on. With all your comments I increased the rpms at which I was shifting and the shifts became quicker. I continued this for awhile, and now even the lower rpm upshift delay has decreased, but still not as immediate as the downshift. I really appreciate everyone's help. I'm going to do some more driving to see if the pattern continues. Right now I'm feeling more relieved.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:26 PM
speed21
Banned

There must be a learning process going on. With all your comments I increased the rpms at which I was shifting and the shifts became quicker. I continued this for awhile, and now even the lower rpm upshift delay has decreased, but still not as immediate as the downshift. I really appreciate everyone's help. I'm going to do some more driving to see if the pattern continues. Right now I'm feeling more relieved.
OP I played around with it this morning quite a bit to see exactly what you were on about and it's very clear to me now that the up shift delay only ever occurs when commands are being given to upshift under a light load type throttle and/or an already low rpm environment in relation to the gear already selected.

Once the engine and PDK are already in or close to the optimum situation best suited to the gear selected the PDK starts to think twice whether it should obey the command to go into a taller gear again....possibly to stave off any event that taller gear lowers the engine RPMs beyond a critical point suitable for the load being placed upon the engine. I think if that particular program was not there then the driver could potentially up-shift the box beyond a critical point where the engine revs become simply too low for the load being subjected.

There is no doubt that once you apply a decent degree of load upon the engine and the revs are climbing at a rate that can support a taller gear the shifts become instantaneous both up and down. But if you are just fluffing around under light engine load and throttle trying to upshift the box for the sake of lowering revs further or saving fuel it thinks twice about obeying you. Not a bad thing.

Solution: Drive harder and faster!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PDK Normal vs Sport