Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

GT3RS owner asking opinion - please be gentle!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 08:03 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 1198r
Salesman said he felt the turbo S was not worth the extra money.... thoughts? I'm tempted.....
I went back and forth before settling on the S. No regrets whatsoever in spite of the eye-watering price. I just knew, and still feel, that I had I gone non-S I would always wonder "what if".

Originally Posted by 1198r
Had a good chat with salesman - he even offered me choice of two GT3's or 5 turbo's but no turbo S.
I'm sure his lack of an 'S' had nothing to do with his comment about them not being worth the money.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:49 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cartester
On launch control you have to floor the accelerator pedal all the way and hold it down. Part throttle even almost all the way down is insufficient to engage the mode. This is my experience anyway.
And stab the gas quickly. Stomp on it. If you lazily floor it, LC won't engage
Old 07-17-2014, 11:06 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I came out of a 997.2 GT3 that I put 65,000 miles on; got tired of waiting for the 991 GT3 problems to be resolved (I was in the system but my last delivery date was slipped to November 2014), saw a Turbo S equipped the way I wanted it and took it. No regrets, the S comes with a lot of the options I would have bought anyway with straight Turbo - I have 3500 miles on it and am very impressed - I have tracked it once, almost too fast for my skills, you catch anyone else on the track on the straights.

These cars are a big step up from the 997 plan is most respects, steering is a little numb if I concentrate on it, but the car has many redeeming features. Miss the GT3, but there is always another opportunity a couple of years down the road. Expensive, but very nice in all respects. Beautiful car as well.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:06 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Just J
I'm sure his lack of an 'S' had nothing to do with his comment about them not being worth the money.
Yes indeed. Pretty transparent salesman ploy.

Last edited by FORENN; 09-06-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:11 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts

If money is no object I would get the TTS. It has all the bells and whistles that you could ask for. I purchased a TT as the TTS was a bit more than I wanted to pay. More a mental thing as the difference in payments is probably $200-300 per month. You can get a nicely optioned TT for 160-165k or so. You will find it hard to notice the power difference. There are many that will tell you that once you start adding options to the TT the price difference to the TTS becomes minimal. My very well optioned TT stickered for 172k with an equivalent TTS costing 20k more. It's a matter of what you want to spend. I almost always order the top model full of options but am quite happy with the regular TT.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:28 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anything involving extra money is always a dilemma for sure. I have zero regrets paying the extra for the S plus didn't want to be left wondering what if after the new car feeling subsided. Also having a TT as my last car I wanted to move it up. The S is the special out of the two and plus comes standard with certain features and options you have to pay for in the TT and even so the TT will never be an S. I learned a long way back on cost options are never recoverable on resale so you need to be prepared for that. The options will help sell it on over the next car without any but at the end of the day the $ you paid for them isn't recoverable. I'm also sure if the dealer has 5 tt cars in stock he will be pointing you in that direction based just on his holding costs alone. Either way the TT is a turbo anyway so you can't go wrong but it comes down to what you personally feel will do it for you over the term of ownership. No one likes having regrets and we all suffer them at one point.

Re your driving experience I will say I've ever at ANY time experienced the lag you speak of so that too may be characteristic of the TT. The S does have an entirely different tune from idle up and the car drives basically lag free like an NA car. The cold start is also louder due to the tune settings so I've found out recently since putting an exhaust on.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:12 AM
MMH78
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo lag is not TT/TTs specific. Both has that. There was a previous thread on this.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...n-takeoff.html
Old 07-21-2014, 02:13 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by MMH78
Turbo lag is not TT/TTs specific. Both has that. There was a previous thread on this.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...n-takeoff.html
Not sure if you own or have ever driven either of the two variants?- but from my own experience with the TTS over the past 3000kms I can honestly say I have ever been left in any state of lag. That said I'm sure if I searched to find some, and selected manual mode and at a low speed of say 50kph selected 5th and stood on it I'm pretty sure there would be some there. But in the identical situation in an atmo car the same would happen too. Just that the atmo car would'nt rip away at the same rate once a pair of turbos kicked in (which it does not have of course).

Out of interest MMH78 I note that post #12 on that thread has Coldlist saying he drove his friends and it did not manifest the problem at all, so it appears his car is an isolated case. Coldlist seems to have vanished now so who knows if he ever found resolution for the problem in his car?? I did follow his thread for a while and it appeared to be the general consensus from owners that if any there was any lag it was only for a nanosecond from the time the car was floored from a dig without using LC. No mention of any in-gear lag which is what I believe the OP was referring to?
Old 07-21-2014, 01:21 PM
MMH78
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally has not driven a turbo. Waiting my car delivery oct 17th. I was referring to reenlist thread regarding this matter. I remember there is another thread with video showing the turbo lag. Thx.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:42 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

No perceptible lag on my 991 Turbo. I guess since people always read about turbo lag all turbo cars have them.

No turbo is "worth the money" if you have it to spend and want to, do it. My Turbo spec was about 25 less than my S spec mostly because I see no point in the ceramics. If you do, get the S.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:58 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by MMH78
I personally has not driven a turbo. Waiting my car delivery oct 17th. I was referring to reenlist thread regarding this matter. I remember there is another thread with video showing the turbo lag. Thx.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised then. My initial impression left me with the unmistakable feeling the car was very peppy and paper light. Porsche has made clear improvements in turbocharger performance esp in comparison the the 997tt.1 and that car was damn quick tuned. If you have one arriving in oct i'm surprised they haven't thrown you the keys to one yet, that way you can see for yourself.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:43 AM
Scarafin
Cruisin'

Unhappy

With regards to the TT vs TTS debate, for me it was an easy choice. In Aus the difference is about 80k, and frankly the small bump in power and some ceramics just aren't worth the price of admission. If I had money to burn, then sure, throw some down on the 'S', but the reality of life is... I don't have that kind of money to burn

On the matter of lag, or the perceived lag... coming from a 458 and before that a Gallardo, you do notice a bit of lag. Nothing that would upset me, but after driving some lovely NA motors, you do notice it when your handed the keys for the first time.

Only thing I'll really miss though is the sound.. Other than that, the 991 turbo is just an amazing daily driver for me. Can't wait till the 29th August
Old 06-02-2017, 12:40 AM
speef
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

check this out

Rohr tracks the gt3 and TT hard, results may surprise you (they did me)
Old 06-02-2017, 08:37 AM
GrandLaker
Racer

Interpretation, put the Sport Cup 2's on the TTS and it would lap the GT3:-)
Old 06-02-2017, 08:56 AM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Can anyone translate those lap times ?

Quick Reply: GT3RS owner asking opinion - please be gentle!