Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   991TT Impressions after my first 400 miles coming from CL63 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/820130-991tt-impressions-after-my-first-400-miles-coming-from-cl63.html)

Fixinbones 06-15-2014 10:41 PM

I've driven 350 miles in the TT so far. Here are my initial impressions coming from a CL63. The first thing I noticed is that the exhaust is pretty quiet. I wanted a quieter car then my AMG but I'm surprised at how quiet the car is just loafing around town. The TT purrs like a kitten vs my AMG which roars like a lion. Being that it's a DD I'm happy with the exhaust. I can see how any person driving this car hard might want an AM exhaust. It does sound a bit louder in sport mode and I have not gone past 5k RPMs so well see what it's like at a full rip soon.

The PDK is leagues better than my AMG MCT transmission. It's a brilliant transmission. No jerkiness on start and always seems to be in the right gear. I really haven't used to paddles much as it's such a joy shifting on its own. On the topic of modes, standard mode is analogous to comfort mode in my AMG. The trans shifts into higher gears pretty early. This would be good for bad weather, improving your mileage, or if your passenger is drinking coffee. Not much fun though. I've started driving the car in sport mode as it's a bit boring in standard mode.

About the ride. Initially the tire pressures were inflated to the the maximum which is standard summer, full load. Although the car rode pretty smooth I decided to lower the pressure to comfort, full load which is 4psi lower on the fronts and 7psi lower on the rears. The ride is much smoother with the lower pressures. It actually rides smoother than my wife's CLS63. I don't think I will need to lower the pressure to the comfort, partial load as it seems pretty good right now. The rear wheel steering is great for low speed parking maneuvers. Haven't pushed the car much at speed so I can't comment on it for handling. Also, a thumbs up for the PSP. Only noticeable at parking lot speeds even though it's not supposed to shut off until the car is going 30mph.

PCM is pretty simple and intuitive. I like the touch screen a lot. Ability to use touch screen or knob for selection gives you a nice option depending on how distracted you are behind the wheel. Glad you can enter addresses into the NAV while the car is moving. The Bose stereo is more than adequate. I passed on the Burmester to keep the cost down and I'm glad I didn't get it. I'm sure it's a great system but probably unnecessary for the average Joe. The Bose blows away my CL63 Harmon kardon system. Much crisper base. Not muddy like my crap CL63 stereo.

Glass sunroof is big improvement over the old steel sunroof. Although it would be nice if it opened another 4" or so. Electric sunscreen nicely integrated into the interior of the car.

About the looks. I love the way this car looks. It's rear girth and quad tailpipes makes it look like a beast. I really don't think there is an angle that this car doesn't look great in. I got GT silver? I think this color just suits the car so well. I chose the espresso and cognac two tone leather. Looks very classy. The other great combo is the black/red.

I'll try to find some gripes as the miles build up. None thus far.

Jeff Kay 06-16-2014 12:18 AM

thanks for the review....i too feel as u do about most of the issues coming out of a '13 sl63 i had the b&o which did rival the burmester...however as the speakers have broken in I'm thinking the burmester is better...could be from lack of memory however. the mercedes just doesn't compare to the Porsche...other than the exhaust note...maybe its a nature of the big block v8 vs the inline 6cyl of the porsche? they are both turbo charged....well for me its a Europipe installed at the end of the week ill keep u posted

speed21 06-16-2014 02:33 AM

Firstly, congrats on the new car and enjoy!

I agree with you the normal mode is not a mode you would generally use in a car such as this as it's highly geared toward economy rather than any form of sportiness, which in effect defeats the entire intent of the car. It's still nice to have the option though. I've used it on the odd occasion when in traffic on the phone. Sports mode is where you need to leave it 99% of the time to put the car back into sports car mode. I see it as the car's main default setting actually. Sports plus mode needs to be used in full manual mode (stick over) on the street too I find. Otherwise it can hold a gear too long or jump back a gear too many depending on how you work your right foot on the pedal. I would say it would be fine left in auto mode on a track.

You will find the change in exhaust note in sports mode is due to the active engine mounts which reduce the insulation between the engine and body. In normal mode the active mounts return to normal setting and provide insulation. I quite like the stock system actually. It is acceptable but like Jeff I am also fitting an EP this week. So more on that later. I've had mine nearly 3 months now and honestly can't fault it. Absolutely sensational!

carcommander 06-16-2014 11:07 AM

I agree with the write up. I run mine in sports mode and PDCC on 99 percent of the time. Great car. I also own a 09 SL65. Both are fun I guess it just depends on what you want the car to do.

TT Surgeon 06-17-2014 12:39 PM

Congrats, but where are the pics?
Re the exhaust, as I said in the other thread, I wouldn't put any aftermarket crap on that car.
pics??

08viper1 06-17-2014 01:06 PM

Ya.that sport button id the first button I hit....Always...

Fixinbones 06-17-2014 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon (Post 11446914)
Congrats, but where are the pics? Re the exhaust, as I said in the other thread, I wouldn't put any aftermarket crap on that car. pics??

I tried to upload some pics and it told me I've exceeded the limit by a certain number of Kb. Any idea how to get around this.

speed21 06-17-2014 08:31 PM

^ Try reducing the pixel size to under @800 kb each pic. Should work unless you have taken them over 1 meg.

speed21 06-18-2014 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon (Post 11446914)
Congrats, but where are the pics?
Re the exhaust, as I said in the other thread, I wouldn't put any aftermarket crap on that car.
pics??

Chris I've heard you say this a number of times now and in essence agree with you 100% there are AM systems that don't belong anywhere near a car of this standard, least of all bolted on to it.

BUT... dare I say I had the EP installed. OMFG!.... you will be shocked. I have to admit I was not expecting it to be how it is. You would put this one on for sure and bin the stock system. In fact I reckon if you drove it you would shift to the 991 platform just to get it. More when I have time.... but take it to the bank this one owns the stock system everywhere.:thumbup::thumbup:

...just wanted you to be the first to hear it.

Fixinbones 06-18-2014 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 11448069)
^ Try reducing the pixel size to under @800 kb each pic. Should work unless you have taken them over 1 meg.

I took the pics on my iPhone. How would I go about reducing the pixel size? Thanks in advance.

speed21 06-18-2014 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Fixinbones (Post 11448740)
I took the pics on my iPhone. How would I go about reducing the pixel size? Thanks in advance.

Assuming you have them on the laptop now, if you have photoshop or paintshop pro or some program like that just re size the photos. Mac also has its own in Iphoto..

You could also email the photos to your email address and then copy them over to mypictures or Iphoto... when you email them from the iphone they are put small size.

Fixinbones 06-18-2014 04:35 AM

http://fixinbones.smugmug.com/Other/.../L/image-L.jpg

speed21 06-18-2014 04:47 AM

Ok its working! Looks great! Love the GT with two tone. Very nice car.

keithos27 06-18-2014 09:50 AM

Beautiful car, congratulations!

djantlive 06-19-2014 01:44 AM

The modes should be replaced by dials a la Ferrari. The buttons are just stupid. Porsches love buttons and that's why the old tiptronic and PDk had buttons.

991tt is the best looking tt since 993tt. Much better than 997 IMO

PSE sounds like a worthwhile option. Or just go aftermarket.