Complementary Electronic Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 08:50 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gleek48
What were the build date of your cars?
Dec/2013 but i'm told it applies to others after that too. Maybe not the ones just being made right now.

Originally Posted by ajag
I just had it done while car was at dealer for boost leak (ended up being loose intake). Can't tell any difference yet. Any idea how they changed the RWS programming?
It was a full system re write actually. Takes a few hours to do. When i asked the details why, I was told porsche had since made certain improvements to the behavior of the 4ws and not that the existing program was faulty at all. There had been reported instrument cluster problems which had surfaced on isolated cases hence the software revisions there. Much the same with the sound symposer. Not all cars had manifested problems, and Porsche were just being proactive for a change instead of waiting for problems to happen which is good. My car had actually gone in for a couple of options to be fitted. There was a delay and was then advised they had to carry out various updates which Porsche had instructed them to do.

Btw what was it they found exactly with the boost leak? Was it the short ribbed hose between the y pipe and plenum that popped off or was it something else?
Old 06-16-2014, 12:23 AM
Jeff Kay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would this reprogram re write over say a GIAC program and then the car would have to be flashed again with the GIAC program?
Old 06-16-2014, 03:03 AM
speed21
Banned

I'm told the 4WS software is separate to the actual engine tune software. That said I'd be careful if you have an AM tune because I suspect the 4WS software would be interconnected somewhere to the engine tune settings. Btw you do know once you flash this car there goes your warranty?

As a further FYI on the Symposer update: There are two mods with this one. One is the software change and the other, a change in the length of the vacuum lines.

I have to say now that whilst I didn't noticed a change to begin with I now feel there appears to be a drop in the interior volume of the downshifting (i.e. the blipping and the snap crackle and pop) which now all seems somewhat tamer sound-wise in comparison to how it was before. Maybe it is my imagination but I really don't think so. I preferred it the way it was pre- the update actually. The S/W update writes over all the current software. The vacuum lines to the symposer valve are then replaced with longer ones. Apparently the original vacuum lines were a bit too short and there had been a few cases where they had come off the end of the symposer valve which of course created a vacuum leakage to the engine and I suspect maybe a CEL somewhere.

Last edited by speed21; 06-16-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:49 PM
08viper1
Instructor

Speed 21?Anyone,so my 14 TS runs fines and I also that popping /back fire stuff.

Do I need to get this done ,is it important ?????
Old 06-16-2014, 01:50 PM
08viper1
Instructor

Thats like the popping/backfire stuff...Do not want quieter....
Old 06-17-2014, 12:20 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeff Kay
would this reprogram re write over say a GIAC program and then the car would have to be flashed again with the GIAC program?
I'm told the engine ecu and the various other computers which individually control each system (ie, PDCC, 4WS, Sound symposer and so forth) are all interconnected by a gateway. So logically any changes made to the engine management system may also alter the operation of these other systems. So whilst the current software updates don't specifically alter the actual engine management settings (tune file) there could still be the possibility where AM changes to the engine management will effect the behavior of other systems. You should ask GIAC how their tune has accommodated for the gateway to the other systems. I mean there wouldn't be a gateway if it wasn't required for the ECU to talk to these other systems in the course of their designed operation.

Originally Posted by 08viper1
Speed 21?Anyone,so my 14 TS runs fines and I also that popping /back fire stuff.

Do I need to get this done ,is it important ?????
OK. Porsche say all campaigns should be carried out to preserve the warranty. In the event something gives out and you didn't do the campaign as per their advice then there may be complications in accepting the warranty. The campaigns are done to ensure optimum longevity and performance of the vehicle. Development is ongoing and during that course improvements are often found and passed on to existing vehicles in operation.

Thats like the popping/backfire stuff...Do not want quieter....
Agree. The snap crackle and pop is nice. But it does seem tamer now....more subdued. Now why they did that no one is able to tell me at this stage other than they are sure it was for a "good" reason lol. So maybe there was a potential issue of something wearing out a bit faster the way it was...who knows.

Btw there is another campaign released just in the past few days for the PDCC O/System which now also gets new software. So add that to the list guys. I am assured that all changes are for the better even though it may seem everything is perfect the way it all is now.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:03 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

I just got mine back yesterday with these 3 updates completed and can't say I noticed any difference...

Service tech did say that I may need to re-set some of the "personalized" things I had preset, but so far all seems in order. YMMV

Old 06-17-2014, 01:00 PM
08viper1
Instructor

Ok,I will get them done next time I bring it in,no hurry, I have not been contacted.I am sure it is good for the car,just love that popping,my Viper does it also..Also,I don,t want them slowing that TS down/reducing HP/Tk..

Thanks for the info...
Old 06-17-2014, 06:51 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Mine were done today. I can tell any difference other than I had to reselect DST.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:29 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I just got mine back yesterday with these 3 updates completed and can't say I noticed any difference...
Re the symposer well I hope it was just my imagination but I guess after today I will never know (EP). I still swear the volume of the snap crackle and pop has been ironed out a bit.....maybe drive it for a few days and see if it changes anywhere..

I'm guessing they did your PDCC too?
Old 06-17-2014, 08:50 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had mine done yesterday too. Nothing to write home about.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:00 PM
speed21
Banned

Ok,I will get them done next time I bring it in,no hurry, I have not been contacted.I am sure it is good for the car,just love that popping,my Viper does it also..Also,I don,t want them slowing that TS down/reducing HP/Tk..

Thanks for the info...
Yep that is a big fear of mine too. I think if they ever ask for an ECU software update then you got to ask the hard question what do they plan doing (or removing) to preserve the engine. I think if they say it will pull even harder then that will be ok.....but can they be trusted lol! I will need to get it in writing...
Old 06-17-2014, 10:55 PM
08viper1
Instructor

They would be playing with fire if they went below the advertised HP/Tk on the car when doing a update. I do not believe that they would do that,based on the liability. All someone would have to do is dyno their car.

I had a issue with my car and Porsche NA (not mechanical) took care of the issue big time.First Class operation so far for me.This is my second Turbo S..

Speed 21/Anyone,have you launched your car from a dead stop in sport plus and ran it threw a quarter mile or more? That is how you would be able to tell,not just half *** putting around/regular driving.

Before/After Update...
Old 06-18-2014, 08:16 AM
speed21
Banned

They would be playing with fire if they went below the advertised HP/Tk on the car when doing a update. I do not believe that they would do that,based on the liability. All someone would have to do is dyno their car.

I had a issue with my car and Porsche NA (not mechanical) took care of the issue big time.First Class operation so far for me.This is my second Turbo S..

Speed 21/Anyone,have you launched your car from a dead stop in sport plus and ran it threw a quarter mile or more? That is how you would be able to tell,not just half *** putting around/regular driving.

Before/After Update...
No. But i want to. And i'm with you forget this half *** putting around ****, that is not what this car is about!!!!! Tomorrow is launch day. And i have never putted around....that is too hard to do and a complete waste of time.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:40 PM
08viper1
Instructor

Agreed....

Let me know your feedback..

My 14 TS is new ,only 400 miles,so I have not broke the cherry on it yet. However,my 2011 TS ran 10s in the quarter mile all day long and I do expect this 14 to do the same .One 14 TS ran 10.63 on Drag Times,so they seem to be a bit quicker than the 997s.

The 14,while I have not launched it,does seem as quick as my 997 TS...

I will question PNA and if they will have to confirm that this update will not effect the HP/Tk before I let them do it.If not,I will not let them.I own the car,not them...

If it is not broke,do not try to fix it...

Quick Reply: Complementary Electronic Update