Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   quickie review after first day on track (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/818226-quickie-review-after-first-day-on-track.html)

ajag 06-03-2014 09:20 AM

quickie review after first day on track

I'll write more later, but took the TT out on the track for the first time yesterday at autobahn country club in Joliet, IL w/ LAPS. I'm an intermediate level DE driver, usually running in the top of that group, and pretty experienced w/ this track, have done about 25 days there. Got one good session in and then developed a boost leak near the end of the 2nd session, so car is at the dealer now getting that checked out. Needless to say, my plans to flash her are postponed indefinitely. :) I'll probably run her a few more days on the track before I make that decision.

Impressions: Car is ridiculously quick compared to my C2S, both on straights and the corners. I dropped 8 seconds from my best time w/ the 991 C2S on a very technical track which favors momentum. That was based on Harry's lap timer. so obviously not the most accurate (dropped from 2:54 to 2:46) but still says a lot IMHO. I'm thinking over half that is due to the RWS/PDCC/AWD and the other half due to the power. I was afraid the car would feel a lot more artificial c/w the 991 C2S (which did not have PDCC) but it honestly was not. It just turned in quick and stayed flat. My Gopro crapped out after I recharged it the night before, so unfortunately no vids, but will definitely make sure I get it up and running before my next day.

neanicu 06-03-2014 09:41 AM

Very nice!
Glad to see you've taken it to the track and experienced what it can do!
I'm very curious about the boost leak. Can you provide more details once the dealer checked it out? I'm wondering whether it's one of the boost hoses...those were known to fail in past generations,especially in modified cars with more boost.

Looking forward to more impressions from the track.

:cheers:

ajag 06-03-2014 11:45 AM

I'll give an update on the dealer's findings later today.

NVRANUF 06-03-2014 11:49 AM

Thanks for the report!
Did you get an error message indicating there was boost leak?

:cheers:

John@Fabspeed 06-03-2014 12:31 PM

How did the exhaust sound going around the track? Im sorry to hear about the boost leak hopefully its something simple and easy to fix.

TT Surgeon 06-03-2014 12:38 PM

Those cars are so fast out of the box, they really don't need a tune at all, probably not even an exhaust. Your boost leak is most likely related to the exhaust install, something slightly loose etc. no biggie.
Just put it in sport plus and hold on!
c

ajag 06-03-2014 03:30 PM

1Gunner: No error message at all, which was very strange. I just noticed during the end of the 2nd session that I wasn't getting more than 2-3PSI even on WOT. Oil temps around 265, but no overheating warnings, so it wasn't in limp mode. I let it cool down for an hour and drove on the street and still same issue, no boost beyond 2-3PSI, and a nice whooshing sound. :)

AJ: Exhaust sounds great!

TT Surgeon: You're right, the car is FAST. I'm pondering the flash idea, definitely won't do it until I get through a few more track days without incident w/ the OEM tune.

speed21 06-03-2014 10:50 PM

Interesting you are having second thoughts on the tune now. I still can't get past that guy on 6 with the tune saying how his sports mode was better stock. You know that's not a very good sign given that's where this car spends most of its time. Also Interested to hear what your dealer finds too. I agree with Chris that this car is so fast out of the box I would seriously question where the benefit of a tune would present during track use save putting the handling dynamics out of balance on the limit along with needlessly over-stressing other components in the engine..

ajag 06-04-2014 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 11415471)
Interesting you are having second thoughts on the tune now. I still can't get past that guy on 6 with the tune saying how his sports mode was better stock. You know that's not a very good sign given that's where this car spends most of its time. Also Interested to hear what your dealer finds too. I agree with Chris that this car is so fast out of the box I would seriously question where the benefit of a tune would present during track use save putting the handling dynamics out of balance on the limit along with needlessly over-stressing other components in the engine..

That's not what Vic55 meant.

"To me, Sport (non plus) felt faster pre tune because the car is always in the sweet spot tq range rpm wise while sport plus runs shift points well past 5k and the tq feel diminishes while the hp increases. But that's just feel and the true faster set up is sport plus and with the tune its more torque(y). So the tune eliminates that "deceptively" fast feel in sport plus."

He's saying the OEM sport feels faster than sport+ because you aren't running past the point of peak tq, whereas w/ the tune both feel more similar in their power bands and shift points.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-s-giac-2.html

That said, I agree that the potential gains on the track are dependent on the configuration and driver. I'm not sure if the risk is worth it yet, maybe after a few more days getting familiar with and comfortable w/ the OEM tune I will change my mind. :)

speed21 06-04-2014 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by ajag (Post 11417178)
That's not what Vic55 meant.

"To me, Sport (non plus) felt faster pre tune because the car is always in the sweet spot tq range rpm wise while sport plus runs shift points well past 5k and the tq feel diminishes while the hp increases. But that's just feel and the true faster set up is sport plus and with the tune its more torque(y). So the tune eliminates that "deceptively" fast feel in sport plus."

He's saying the OEM sport feels faster than sport+ because you aren't running past the point of peak tq, whereas w/ the tune both feel more similar in their power bands and shift points.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-s-giac-2.html

That said, I agree that the potential gains on the track are dependent on the configuration and driver. I'm not sure if the risk is worth it yet, maybe after a few more days getting familiar with and comfortable w/ the OEM tune I will change my mind. :)

Ajag, Vic55 is referring to an improvement to the sports plus mode only, and is quite clear with what he said about his impressions using the sports mode setting....which is where you drive the car most of the time. Driving it in sports plus mode when you usually have to counter shift the higher rpm settings manually (unless on a racetrack) doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, and for that matter why does he just not just knock the gear shift lever over into manual position and be done with it if SP is where the only real additional gain is realized instead of having to continually counter shift against the factory settings? Odd..

Anyway from a position of warranty, given the car drives so effortlessly and faultlessly with the stock tune, with so much power available in every situation, I personally couldn't see any sense at all tossing a 3 year factory warranty clean out the window..... which is what you would be effectively doing for the sake of adding a bit more torque to sports plus and going backwards in sports. Frankly the factory has left very little on the table for any AM tuner least of all in so far as making it worth the risk.

An exhaust, well you may be able to argue your way around that, but a tune? ..not a chance, it would be bye bye warranty on all future problems inc your minor boost loss issue. So any tune would sure want to be worth it in both modes and then some IMHO. You see with the stock file you know the car is designed to be run all day long on track without the problems a tune can leave the car in, and if any issues do arise you at least have an out. With a tune, you have problems and you are on your own.

Edit PS: re the tune again...has there been any time comparisons against the stock files? It may again prove to be one of those cases where any accel time improvements are so marginal it again places the question on why do it?

08viper1 06-05-2014 01:48 PM

No tune/nothing needed for 991 Turbos....Just go run it,that is what I do..