Alcantara Wheels - Question!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 05:33 AM
jonnybravom3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alcantara Wheels - Question!

Hi guys

Just picked up my 991TT from the dealers after fitting my alcantara wheel.

2 things I noticed:

(1) Came in red stitching (I prefer yellow or plain if available) - so they are checking for me since my car is Racing Yellow (they had ordered the wheel against the vehicle chassis no. and Porsche sent them one with red stitching). Anyone have alcantara wheels with different stitching??

(2) The wheel doesn't read "Sport" or "Sport Plus" on the sides in the black areas. Does this only work on the leather sport design wheels and not the alcantara sport design wheels? You should even vaguely see the wording in the background even when they are not "lit" up when Sport or Sport Plus are selected. When I look at it its just black. Can anyone on here confirm?

Attached is a pic I took earlier today (NOTE - I'm in Sport mode here but there's no display).

Tks!

JB

Last edited by jonnybravom3; 11-04-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:02 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Is the wheel OEM? (just because the dealer installs it doesn't necessarily make it OEM)

If it is OEM then you should see "Sport" and "Sport Plus" IMO.

Agree, red stitching against yellow dials isn't the most eye-pleasing combo....
...curious why you would want an alcantara wheel in the first place?

Old 05-26-2014, 09:32 AM
jonnybravom3
Advanced

Yep OEM. I mean I ordered it through the dealership and they gave my chassis number to Porsche who then sent the wheel. My sales rep didn't even know if was going to come with red stitching! I told him I want either yellow stitching or plain but not red stitching.

Always wanted alcantara wheel because:
(1) Had it on an '09 Quattroporte Sport GTS (loved it);
(2) leather is boring;
(3) CF gets very hot in our summers (my 612 wheel is CF and burns in the summer if i've left the car outside for whatever reason) and I heard that the Porsche cf is known to become yellow-ish over time in heat.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:41 AM
tomshop
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What I find curious is if it was ordered from factory car should have been delivered with the wheel. The dealer shouldn't have to install it. I would press dealer as to what happened. Was wheel on build sheet?
Old 05-26-2014, 09:44 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Hope you get it resolved to your "complete" satisfaction.. as you should!

Only reason I asked about alcantara, I had it on a GT3 and while I totally agree, it offers excellent grip and feel,.... it will definitely show signs of wear and degradation in very short order... that leather does not.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:58 AM
jonnybravom3
Advanced

Originally Posted by tomshop
What I find curious is if it was ordered from factory car should have been delivered with the wheel. The dealer shouldn't have to install it. I would press dealer as to what happened. Was wheel on build sheet?
No, car came with cf multi function wheel. I instructed dealership to change it for me among a few other minor things.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:59 AM
jonnybravom3
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Hope you get it resolved to your "complete" satisfaction.. as you should!

Only reason I asked about alcantara, I had it on a GT3 and while I totally agree, it offers excellent grip and feel,.... it will definitely show signs of wear and degradation in very short order... that leather does not.

Thanks! Yes so I've heard but I will maintain it and also ensure I don't drive with greasy hands hehe.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:09 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

If it is an OE Porsche wheel (not to be confused with OEM) it will have a Porsche part number. Did you see the packaging and box? Should ask for it to at least store your take-off in.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:03 AM
jonnybravom3
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexVan
If it is an OE Porsche wheel (not to be confused with OEM) it will have a Porsche part number. Did you see the packaging and box? Should ask for it to at least store your take-off in.
No I didn't. My cf one they are taking back. I paid for a swap. My sales rep says it's a programming issue coz the wheel is equipped for the lighting and includes the lettering....Let's see. They said they will sort it out for me when I bring her back to install my other parts that I asked them to change. They will give me a car to play with while I wait for the installation once those parts arrive.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:16 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Wouldn't worry about resolving the letter lighting on "this wheel".... get the wheel you want/need, with proper stitching first and then confirm the lighting!

And remember... no eating french fries and driving for you!!

Old 05-26-2014, 11:19 AM
sebearstian
Instructor

I have sweaty palms and I dont think i would want a alcantara steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Alcantara Wheels - Question!