Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Consensus on stock exhaust and, who is considering getting an AM system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:21 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixinbones
Can't wait to hear your impressions about the EP.
I watched a clip from the dealer. It sounded sick (the good kind). I will pick her up tomorrow and let you know how it sounds in person. I can't attach the video or I would have.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:58 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Can't wait to hear your impressions about the EP.
First impression is just "wow". What a deep, throaty growl. Took it straight home from the dealer, so I did not spend more than 10 minutes in it, but I love what I heard. Sounds like a different car. No louder inside with the windows up compared to stock unless you are really on it. Service advisor told me that everyone went to listen and loved it. Will post more when I get the car out for a good ride.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:50 PM
kev_song
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Still on the fence, but leaning to Shark Werks mainly because of great past experiences with my GT3 and Alex's sound ( )advice and guidance... A class act in all respects!
1Gunner, I'll let you know how it sounds. Alex shipped one out to me yesterday. I should have it Tues.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:34 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by enzom
I watched a clip from the dealer. It sounded sick (the good kind). I will pick her up tomorrow and let you know how it sounds in person. I can't attach the video or I would have.
Enzom. Car looks great. Nice color choice!
Old 08-02-2014, 03:56 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Enzom. Car looks great. Nice color choice!
Ha - thanks!
Old 08-03-2014, 10:28 AM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Went out for a drive last night and am very happy with the Europipe exhaust. Loud with the windows down when you are on it. More pops and burbles (but no firecrackers). Car seems to build boost more quickly, but I assume that will change with adaptation. I need to get it out on the highway at sustained 2400 rpm to compare drone, but I didn't hear any last night during my drive.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:39 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by enzom
Went out for a drive last night and am very happy with the Europipe exhaust. Loud with the windows down when you are on it. More pops and burbles (but no firecrackers). Car seems to build boost more quickly, but I assume that will change with adaptation. I need to get it out on the highway at sustained 2400 rpm to compare drone, but I didn't hear any last night during my drive.
Knew you would be. I got around 700 ks on mine now since it was installed and love it more by the day. Sounds truly amazing. Dealer says it sounds just like an atmo S with sports exhaust, just with a lot more whistle...which gives the turbo game away hehe. So smiles all round here. So far there has been no "adaption" where the additional torque can be felt and I can't see that changing. I plan a more comprehensive review once I do do more freeway but my last run on Friday there was zero annoying drone like how it was with stock.... which has that piercing drone all the dam time which can wear you down iykwim.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:50 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Knew you would be. I got around 700 ks on mine now since it was installed and love it more by the day. Sounds truly amazing. Dealer says it sounds just like an atmo S with sports exhaust, just with a lot more whistle...which gives the turbo game away hehe. So smiles all round here. So far there has been no "adaption" where the additional torque can be felt and I can't see that changing. I plan a more comprehensive review once I do do more freeway but my last run on Friday there was zero annoying drone like how it was with stock.... which has that piercing drone all the dam time which can wear you down iykwim.
I thought you said "the boys in Stuttgart got it right" with the 991. Confused does the stock exhaust now have drone?
Old 08-05-2014, 04:47 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eurotom
I thought you said "the boys in Stuttgart got it right" with the 991. Confused does the stock exhaust now have drone?
I can see where you are going lol but in terms of providing a really good sound for a turbo yes "the boys in stuttgart" as you say did a good job overall with the stock system imo as an owner. I also heard Alex (SW) say the same. In terms of drone though the stock system is not completely drone free, much in the same way as the 997tt manifested slight drone in certain situations at certain rpms, except with the 991tt it seems to hang about while cruising even if you aren't on the gas. It's not bad but it is there to a point it is hard not to be conscious of it and that may or may not annoy depending on user. I believe member 1gunner has also touched on the drone in his 991tt at cruising speeds as well and said he preferred if it wasn't there too, so i'm not alone in that assessment. Overall the stock system is a huge improvement over 997tt.1 and 2 though, that would be hard to dispute.
Maybe see if you can take one for a drive Tom and then you can tell me all about it. Just be careful though because your 997tt will never be the same i'm afraid. So just be warned on that one up front ok.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:58 PM
kev_song
Instructor

Alex shipped me out a Sharkwerks exhaust late last week and had it installed on Weds. Since then I have driven the car about 300+ miles and yesterday afternoon at Lime Rock Park. I do have a cab, and I can say that its as advertised. Nice loud deep tone....lots of back burbles, cracks and pops. Sounds really good in sport + mode at WOT on the track. I would say its slightly louder on a 911 C2S with sport exhaust. Very happy with the purchase. I will post a video clip when I can....
Old 08-08-2014, 01:51 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kev_song
Alex shipped me out a Sharkwerks exhaust late last week and had it installed on Weds. Since then I have driven the car about 300+ miles and yesterday afternoon at Lime Rock Park. I do have a cab, and I can say that its as advertised. Nice loud deep tone....lots of back burbles, cracks and pops. Sounds really good in sport + mode at WOT on the track. I would say its slightly louder on a 911 C2S with sport exhaust. Very happy with the purchase. I will post a video clip when I can....
Hey Kev_Song our pleasure and stoked you like it! We'll be doing a really special one here locally rather soon so I'll get some vids/pix of that eventually. How'd you like Lime Rock with that much power!
Old 08-09-2014, 12:51 AM
Mark Currie
Intermediate

My GMG Racing exhaust system arrived today. Can't wait to get it on the car next week and see how it performs.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:50 AM
enzom
Rennlist Member

I was able to drive my 991 TT with my new Europipe exhaust a bit this week. Love it. There is an overpass near my house that I drive under when I come home from work. With my C2S with PSE, I would always roll down the windows, slow down in first gear, and nail it as I was going under the overpass. The sound was amazing. Did the same thing twice with the stock TT exhaust. Nice sound, but not like the PSE.

Making the same first gear WOT run under that overpass with the Europipe is so much louder than the PSE. Deep, loud growl. I actually will admit that it hurts my ears a bit from how loud it gets.

Yet, I can pull into my block quietly and not wake up the neighbor's toddler. And I can comfortably take calls from inside the car without people asking me what the heck I am driving that sounds so loud.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:49 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts

Enzom,
So in mellow around driving with revs below 4,000 can you compare the sound a loudness to the stock system? Drone? I don't want anything much louder than stock for my commute but wouldn't mind more sound when u get on it.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:18 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kev_song
Also just wanted to give a big shout out to kev_song... His Porsche dealership liked it and ordered one up to install too. And for those asking you do not need to remove the bumper

Quick Reply: Consensus on stock exhaust and, who is considering getting an AM system?