Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo S Owners Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 02:39 PM
F456 V12
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look, I am not dumping on the car or the brand, I have tremendous respect for Porsche, I owned a few back in the 80's, thoroughly enjoyed them, except for the lack of real A/C. I am simply saying if your going to spend 200K, there are a few options in that class of car, all a matter of preference, what fits your life and so on. Quite frankly, if I had not found the McLaren, I'd be driving the Porsche at the end of this month, to me it was not a status or exclusivity issue one over the other.

The one thing I knew for sure was, I would not be buying another Ferrari. I owned three over the last 10 years and frankly I was getting real tired of the brand and maintenance costs. "Hey, it's a Ferrari, everybody pays," but after a while, 500 oil changes, 2500 annuals and 5 to 6K majors starts to add up, not including anything else that might go wrong, last year I spent almost 8K along, which did not include a major service. I got to a point where I almost didn't want to drive the car, I think in my last year of ownership I put on <500 miles, which should be a crime

All the best,

MB
Old 04-12-2014, 02:56 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Okay. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful car.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:52 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by F456 V12
Look, I am not dumping on the car or the brand, I have tremendous respect for Porsche, I owned a few back in the 80's, thoroughly enjoyed them, except for the lack of real A/C. I am simply saying if your going to spend 200K, there are a few options in that class of car, all a matter of preference, what fits your life and so on. Quite frankly, if I had not found the McLaren, I'd be driving the Porsche at the end of this month, to me it was not a status or exclusivity issue one over the other. The one thing I knew for sure was, I would not be buying another Ferrari. I owned three over the last 10 years and frankly I was getting real tired of the brand and maintenance costs. "Hey, it's a Ferrari, everybody pays," but after a while, 500 oil changes, 2500 annuals and 5 to 6K majors starts to add up, not including anything else that might go wrong, last year I spent almost 8K along, which did not include a major service. I got to a point where I almost didn't want to drive the car, I think in my last year of ownership I put on <500 miles, which should be a crime All the best, MB
Do you think McLaren brand and maintenance costs will be cheaper? The biggest problem is dealerships and service bays. There aren't enough. My closest one is 2 hrs away which keeps me from pulling the trigger.

Jeff
Old 04-12-2014, 07:19 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Tru dat. Poor form.
Exactly my thoughts, and quite frankly no amount of excuses will ever excuse that fact. You know i could go on about "my wife" and how when I was shopping a new car she said the maclaren (and particularly in this colour) is the ultimate car for the man with the biggest discrepancies, the ultimate hairdressers car and so forth (which she did btw), but to seek out a discussion forum dedicated to Porsches where new owners and prospective owners are congregating to join in on discussion either to find out more about the actual car or to discuss their enjoyment I must say I find it rather extraordinary for someone to post something like that, picture included and all, as if we all didn't know what a 12c looked like by now.

Now I'm thinking maybe the Ferrari forum was "shut for maintenance" or, over on the maclaren forum they are all nursing sore backsides or something of that nature and don't need further reminding. Or, the fella has realised he has just singled himself out to the world as being a major tosser and is trying to make himself feel good about the exercise. But either way, I'm pretty sure there is a magnifying glass and a set of tweezers involved somewhere. I mean his post says it all, and from here on end is now just all excuses and justification.

Last edited by speed21; 04-12-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:29 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 516 Posts

I'm thinking of moving into a TTS as well. My wife wants my CLS and I like the idea of downsizing to two cars. I don't really drive the R8 to work because it tends to draw some attention. I love the car but could use the rear seat in the 991 for my daughter.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:08 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Come on guys,give him a break! This is a car enthusiast forum and I think we can all enjoy a post and a picture about another car. The 12C can always be a competitor to the Turbo,so it's nice to hear his perspective about the car.

Personally,I've enjoyed it! Congrats! She's a beauty!
Old 04-12-2014, 09:30 PM
speed21
Banned

I have no problem with anyone showing off their new toy and giving reasons why they bought it over the next car, but that post was a total derail and totally inappropriate given the title of the thread. And if you take a peek at all his few other posts they are all skewed in some way toward having a dig here.

Perhaps if OP had named his thread 991Turbo VS Maclaren Mp412c then I could understand the post. As I said, we all know what an mp412c is don't we? I mean why not plonk up a tale about an Aston or a 458 as well, with pics and so on? To me its not about whether the car is good or otherwise, just that the post was simply inappropriate.

Anyway, as it seems no one appears to be prepared to offer their driving impressions of the new TTS or TT, and many are just now derailing the thread with unrelated off topic posts or, with intent to put the sly knife in on the new car, then maybe the OP should reconsider a thread rename? I mean if comparo's is of more interest just start a new thread about that......discuss pros and cons there.

Funny thing is I recall back on 6 at the time the 991 was released and the Forum gave the new 991 its own section a handful of 997 members came over to try and cut a path up the centre with all their sore tailed hate on the new car with clear intent of spoiling new members threads and posts who were only trying to express enthusiasm over their new 991 acquisition.

Seems like de javu.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:51 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a major consideration in buying a high performance sports car is exclusivity or being noticed and not performance and the thrill of the drive, then I offer my sympathies. The pretentiousness and flash of a Ferrari or Lamborghini is precisely the reason why I will never own one. I do not buy a car to show off and impress others. It is the exhilaration derived from driving a great vehicle that propels me to purchase one. I do not own a Rolex, nor will I ever. A Seiko performs the task of keeping time just as competently. I drive a TTS because no other car hits my buttons in quite the same way. I could care less that others think it is simply a regular Porsche. It does not perform like one and that is my priority.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:05 PM
speed21
Banned

I'm with you on this coincident. It seems some just need to feel "significant" to others. That is evidenced in the fact the Porsche is simply unable to provide them with a level of "significance" so the magnificent performance and engineering of the car becomes secondary in the pursuit of being noticed or showing off. Over my time I have come to hear from so many women, who see men in these overly flashy cars as being poorly endowed, therefore looking to substitute for the terrible discrepancy....and it seems the brighter the colour the smaller it is.

I will disagree on the rolex and other swiss watch marques vs seiko though. A watch is in many ways a far less a statement than an expensive car, as it is is smaller and often hidden under a sleeve. I would consider a Porsche very much like a rolex in the sense a lot own them yet are able to appreciate the pure simplicity, engineering, superb build quality and timelessness of the design, whilst knowing it will always have a future value.
I think the GTR and Seiko have more in common actually....not that there is anything wrong with either.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:50 AM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Most men who buy a Rolex do not do so for the superb craftsmanship or meticulous build quality. It is all for status and image presentation. Every time I drive my TTS, I still marvel at the excitement generated by the experience. I cannot imagine someone looking at their Rolex every time they wear it experiencing a feeling in any way approaching that. But if owning a Rolex makes one feel good, go for it.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

I have learned through experience, trying to impress others by shows of wealth or success only generates feelings of jealousy, envy and animosity. Very few people are genuinely happy for you when they see you living in a large, expensive house or driving a 6 figure car. The lesson gleaned from this is simply to conduct yourself in a manner to enhance one's own life and not for any other motive.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:27 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default +1

Coincident nailed it.

Originally Posted by Coincident
I have learned through experience, trying to impress others by shows of wealth or success only generates feelings of jealousy, envy and animosity. Very few people are genuinely happy for you when they see you living in a large, expensive house or driving a 6 figure car. The lesson gleaned from this is simply to conduct yourself in a manner to enhance one's own life and not for any other motive.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:30 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Why is it that forums always take a simple topic and review and turn it into subjective debates?
Old 04-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Why not? You got something else to do?
Old 04-13-2014, 10:40 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Yeah I have to decide between a mclaren 12c and a TTS cause this stinkin GT3 debacle is a pain in the ***!

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo S Owners Driving Impressions