Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What's the consensus on the glass sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 08:40 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

For what it's worth, I mentioned to my sales manager that I was considering no sunroof on the TTS order. He said it was mandatory from a resale standpoint, so much so that they wouldn't even accept it on trade without a sunroof. They are popular here in Colorado.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:50 AM
TC911
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Glass and loving it! No issues
Old 03-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Badknees
I'm still deciding on no sunroof, or metal sunroof for those times when I need to exhaust the hot cabin air. Skin cancer doc doesn't want me in the sun. I'm leaning towards no sunroof.
For what it's worth the glass sunroof is highly tinted and also has a retractable shade. Shade is perforated so you can vent the air even when it's closed.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Snorman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't get it. I don't use the sunroof in any of my cars/trucks that have one, therefore it's a waste for me.
S.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:51 AM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

No problems. I like it.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:13 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
For what it's worth, I mentioned to my sales manager that I was considering no sunroof on the TTS order. He said it was mandatory from a resale standpoint, so much so that they wouldn't even accept it on trade without a sunroof. They are popular here in Colorado.
What a typical salesperson Liar! Wouldn't accept it without a sunroof oh K.M.M.F.A. he wouldn't. When an opportunity to perform business presents itself, you do so, and gladly so.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:27 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

They must do some kind of business to have trade-in restrictions that severe. Interesting that it's really that big a problem given that most M3 owners choose the CF roof over the moonroof option. A different type of driver, I suppose, but still hard to imagine that it would be that big a deal.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:06 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have to agree with the others. This sounds like major BS. I'm sure a glass roof gives a nicer feel from inside but from outside I'm personally not convinced with the look plus it looks stupid open. To me the car looks cleaner without the roof except on a black car....just my 2 cents.

Another positive with no roof is the car would have a bit better torsional rigidity, and no risk of creaks and rattles which may possibly develop over time. Either choice is good though I'm sure but there are pluses and minuses either way.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:26 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

On my C4S, I absolutely love it closed. I don't like the appearance of any 991 sunroof when it is open. Historically, I rarely ever open the sunroof on any car so it's a non-issue. Did I mention I love the glass roof when it's closed!? 2500 miles no squeaks or rattles.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:24 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Porsche 25th
On my C4S, I absolutely love it closed. I don't like the appearance of any 991 sunroof when it is open. Historically, I rarely ever open the sunroof on any car so it's a non-issue. Did I mention I love the glass roof when it's closed!? 2500 miles no squeaks or rattles.
I would agree the feel is nicer on the inside with the glass roof, plus on a black 991 you get to avoid the quirky two tone look that may likely fall out of fashion at one point. Other colours appear to look cleaner to me with out the roof. The lines of the steel roof on the 997 had a better flow visually from the exterior imho..
Old 03-24-2014, 07:38 PM
zedosix
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Badknees
I'm still deciding on no sunroof, or metal sunroof for those times when I need to exhaust the hot cabin air. Skin cancer doc doesn't want me in the sun. I'm leaning towards no sunroof.
Smart move !
Old 03-26-2014, 02:06 AM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2700 miles on my glass roof so far with no issues. The extra light and the open feeling the glass roof gives is great, IMO. I drive with the sunroof open whenever I can, and I always drive with the sunscreen open.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:25 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Love my glass sunroof. No rattles. Torsional rigidity MIGHT be less but surely more than a cabrio. One of the reasons I passed on the GT3 was no sunroof option. Boy did I make the right decision. Also less paint to clean. I love the look but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:31 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by jimmy348
I have the glass sunroof. Love it. Reminds me of my Targa 4S. Without the glass sunroof a 911 coupe with a dark interior can feel as if I'm looking out at the world from a bunker.
Lol I think that is taking it a bit to the extreme. I'm a sure a lot of folks would be more than happy sitting in that bunker you refer to. Let's face it, up to this model no Turbo coupe has had a glass roof so that means there have been a lot of happy bunker owners in times gone by. I have sat in both and agree the glass allows more light in, which gives an interesting, "different" feeling for sure, but the GR can also generate more natural heat as well, even with the screen closed. The head room is also less as well for some of us taller folks. So there are minuses and pluses in both arrangements.

I don't see there being any right or wrong choice here hence why they offer 3 variants, glass, steel or none, for the buyers to choose over. This time round I went with none out of choice and don't regret it so far. So it comes down to whether you want to sit in a glass house and throw stones or, sit in a bunker and be happy anyway.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:11 PM
zedosix
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the bunker. The glass house makes me feel like the world is looking in on me. I prefer to go incognito.

Quick Reply: What's the consensus on the glass sunroof?