Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Clear bra- how much of the front end to cover?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:36 AM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Clear bra- how much of the front end to cover?

I guys. Just waiting for my TT to be built and delivered and have been thinking about a clear bra. I've never done one on my previous cars as they were all leased and I really didn't care about a few chips here and there. I will be purchasing my TT and keeping it for 3-4 years so I think some protect is in order. The question I have is how much of the front end should I cover? The dealer showed me a car that had the bumper cover and front portion of the hood and fenders covered which seems like a good option. Can someone comment on the pros and cons of just doing the front bumper cover vs doing the whole hood and front fenders from a protection, looks, and durability stand point? I live in NY and the car will be a DD all year around except for significant snow. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:07 PM
ncamg
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the split line on the hood is too visible. I did the whole hood on my 2012 C2s cab and (in silver) it was darn near invisible. I plan to do the same on my Turbo cab (on order). The hood can take a beating on the 911 because of the slope. I also did the headlights and behind the rear wheel. Don't think the Turbo needs the film behind the rear wheels because of the black trim however.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:41 PM
JoeNo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to say the front bumper and half the hood was 750.00. Add the full hood, front fenders, headlights, mirrors and rear peices and the total is 1300.00.This was using Xpel.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:20 PM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do all of my cars. Always do a full hood, fenders, grille, pillars and top of roof above windscreen. It is next to invisible and no line across the center of your head. The guy I use is a craftsman and true perfectionist. Suntek self-healing film. $1200.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:54 AM
needspeed
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I wrapped most of the car with exception of roof, engine bay cover, and spoiler. Cost $6850.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:33 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

Question how did you tech do the rear bumper? Did they remove the letters and apply new ones?
Old 04-19-2014, 11:57 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Do the prices you guys are quoting involve removing the front bumper cover? And is that really necessary?
Old 04-20-2014, 10:20 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default PPF

Plan to have Expel Ultimate done on full hood, headlight covers and mirrors on TTS. Having a custom job, not pre-cut film because the pre-cut leaves too much space around body seams and lights. The film will be basically invisible in a full front installation. Was quoted $1800 by a highly rated installer near me, but $1200 mentioned above has got me thinking. I also will check out CCL Nano film. Some very interesting, objective comparisons of durability of most films on the tint dude site from Aug 7, 2013. Tester actually shots birdshot from an air gun at a panel covered in each film.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:26 AM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

I live in nyc and drive to NJ every day. With the roads all torn up the way they are and all the debris from the damage and the repairs, it is a nightmare for rock chips.

I say definitely the whole front clip with A pillars, mirrors, and roof as mentioned.

About to have my DD resprayed for rock chips and clear bra as outlined
Old 04-20-2014, 10:52 AM
Fixinbones
Pro

Originally Posted by AndrewP
Plan to have Expel Ultimate done on full hood, headlight covers and mirrors on TTS. Having a custom job, not pre-cut film because the pre-cut leaves too much space around body seams and lights. The film will be basically invisible in a full front installation. Was quoted $1800 by a highly rated installer near me, but $1200 mentioned above has got me thinking. I also will check out CCL Nano film. Some very interesting, objective comparisons of durability of most films on the tint dude site from Aug 7, 2013. Tester actually shots birdshot from an air gun at a panel covered in each film.
So ivy custom job, aside from not having the film precut, are we talking about removing the front bumper cover?
Old 04-20-2014, 02:15 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixinbones
So ivy custom job, aside from not having the film precut, are we talking about removing the front bumper cover?
I used pre-cut XPEL Ultimate on my 991 GT3 covering Front bumper (Removal not needed), A-Pillar and Roof Kit, Full Hood, Fender and Mirror Kit, Headlamp and Fog Lamp Kit, Door threshold kit.
My cost was $2,000 with excellent work done by Alan Seligman from Orlando, FL
<invincaman@cfl.rr.com>

I used Bikini Cut (partial hood kit) on my previous 2012 991 but received stone chips on the uncovered upper hood. Also found the obvious line separating the covered and uncovered hood areas unsightly.

These tests may be helpful in choosing your material:

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index....f-orafol-xpel/

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index....-at-sema-2013/
Old 04-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
I used pre-cut XPEL Ultimate on my 991 GT3 covering Front bumper (Removal not needed), A-Pillar and Roof Kit, Full Hood, Fender and Mirror Kit, Headlamp and Fog Lamp Kit, Door threshold kit. My cost was $2,000 with excellent work done by Alan Seligman from Orlando, FL <invincaman@cfl.rr.com> I used Bikini Cut (partial hood kit) on my previous 2012 991 but received stone chips on the uncovered upper hood. Also found the obvious line separating the covered and uncovered hood areas unsightly. These tests may be helpful in choosing your material: http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index....f-orafol-xpel/ http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index....-at-sema-2013/
Thanks for your response!
Old 04-28-2014, 04:48 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

So did anyone do the rear bumper??

Jeff
Old 04-28-2014, 09:39 PM
needspeed
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I did most of the car with the exception of the sunroof, engine bay cover, and spoiler. I think it's worthwhile. Recently, I accidentally placed a spray bottle with its bottom coated with concentrated chemicals leaked from another cleaning product on the hood. Before I removed the bottle from hood, the chemical ate through most of the clear wrap. I ended up replacing the wrap instead of having to respray the hood had I not have the wrap. Also, no chips anywhere on the car.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:12 AM
rlhyde
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know, if the time ever comes to remove these films, is that an issue?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clear bra- how much of the front end to cover?