Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Clear bra- how much of the front end to cover?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 02:32 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

It's not usually an issue when done by an installer.

But films today are so well made that they outlast your ownership.

Jeff
Old 04-30-2014, 08:24 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
So did anyone do the rear bumper??

Jeff
No, I didn't do mine. Just G teck'd it (inc wheels) along with the roof, doors and rear quarters. The rest all had film including the inner door sills and the rear wheel arches.

I would definitely advise OP to get it done and do paint protection on everything else. The car washes up like new so easily now. Perfectly flawless. And always work ready.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:15 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

I have my front and rear bumpers, hood, mirrors front and rear fenders and doors and a pillar done. I like the idea of being protected. Wondering what wax I can use now.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:19 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
I have my front and rear bumpers, hood, mirrors front and rear fenders and doors doors done. I like the idea of being protected. Wondering what wax I can use now.
I ended up doing the same. The only thing that's not wrapped are the louvers on the engine cover.

AND strangely the fuel door. My installer states that they can't be wrapped because the fume eat away at the adhesive and will make it peel of quickly

Is this true? Do you guys have your fuel doors wrapped?

Jeff
Old 05-04-2014, 12:23 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
I have my front and rear bumpers, hood, mirrors front and rear fenders and doors and a pillar done. I like the idea of being protected. Wondering what wax I can use now.
The quickest and best solution Ive found to date is the McGuires Ultimate spray on quick wax. Amazing product. It requires so little effort its not a time consuming and fussy issue like usual waxing is….very quick and effective. Just spray on and wipe off. Film is kept pristine.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:12 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I ended up doing the same. The only thing that's not wrapped are the louvers on the engine cover.

AND strangely the fuel door. My installer states that they can't be wrapped because the fume eat away at the adhesive and will make it peel of quickly

Is this true? Do you guys have your fuel doors wrapped?

Jeff
I had my fuel door wrapped (Xpel) on my C4S that I drove for 17,000 miles, including about 4,000 track miles in all weathers, including July/August in Texas and didn't experience peeling. I did it on the TTS and GT3 as well but notn enough time/miles to assess. Even if it peals in, say, a year or so, you can get it redone as it's a very simple install.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts

My car has arrived and I need to finally decide what to cover. Do the front fenders encounter that many stone chips if not covered? I was thinking about doing just the front bumper, full hood, pillars and front roof line, and maybe the mirrors. I really don't do much highway driving.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:58 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fixinbones
My car has arrived and I need to finally decide what to cover. Do the front fenders encounter that many stone chips if not covered? I was thinking about doing just the front bumper, full hood, pillars and front roof line, and maybe the mirrors. I really don't do much highway driving.
I ended up doing the whole car. The only parts not done were the engine louvers and base of the rear spoiler

I feel much better ..
Old 05-19-2014, 06:29 PM
jonnybravom3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up doing the whole car. The only parts not done were the engine louvers and base of the rear spoiler

I feel much better ..
Did that to my M6 and the car lost it's shine. Also any break in the film due to an inconsiderate parker opening their door you're stuck with unless you change the whole film. I've decided to not add it to the TT. If I ever need repainting of the front I'll just do that.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:35 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

really?

thats interesting how long was it before it lost its shine?

I've been washing the car then using Griots speed shine for that little bit extra

Jeff
Old 05-19-2014, 07:39 PM
jonnybravom3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really?

thats interesting how long was it before it lost its shine?

I've been washing the car then using Griots speed shine for that little bit extra

Jeff
Car is black...it still looked good but it didn't shine like a mirror you know. Eventually it gets less and less...I did this in 2010 and still have the car. Car still looks great but I have small tears and dings here and there which show very clearly on a black car coz the torn film looks white. Also some lines where people have rubbed or run their finger nails etc which don't go unless you replace the whole film. Cost me a lot to do full body cost me close to $3,000! So I won't do that again....if I MUST then I'll do the front bonnet in full as I did with my other cars (hate that line that runs down the middle of a half covered bonnet).
Old 06-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

So I'm picking my car up Saturday and have to decide how much to cover. I definitely am going to do the front bumper. I'll do 10k miles per year mostly around town. In NY, crappy rounds and will drive it in winter. I'm not gonna do the front fenders. Can anyone give me advice on covering the hood and mirrors? Does the car get many chips in the hood and mirrors from around town type driving?
Old 06-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

So I'm picking my car up Saturday and have to decide how much to cover. I definitely am going to do the front bumper. I'll do 10k miles per year mostly around town. In NY, crappy rounds and will drive it in winter. I'm not gonna do the front fenders. Can anyone give me advice on covering the hood and mirrors? Does the car get many chips in the hood and mirrors from around town type driving?
Old 06-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

I don't know what the current films are like but I have 3M film on the front bumper, mirrors, hood (partial) below the headlights and on the forward face of the rear flairs of my 965.
There's no good way to maintain the film without risking damage to it as it is extremely soft. It gets scratched if you even breathe on it wrong, yellows with age and is difficult to remove. I can't imagine covering an entire car in it.
I would advise to cover the front profile and not worry about the rest of the car. Any rock chips you might get on the flanks will be very small and are easily touched up.

Last edited by Metal Guru; 06-06-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:33 PM
PMAA
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

So I decide to do the full hood and mirrors. In the end I would not have been happy if I spent the money for the bumper and fenders and then got a nick on the hood. Also I didn’t want a visible line on the hood so decide to do the full hood. The entire job with xpel ultimate ended up being 2K including tax. 10 year warrantee (product and installation) ...Time will tell if it was worth it.

Quick Reply: Clear bra- how much of the front end to cover?