Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Land based cruise missile landed at Fabspeed Motorsport for product development (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/800941-land-based-cruise-missile-landed-at-fabspeed-motorsport-for-product-development.html)

FastLaneTurbo 03-10-2014 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by TB993tt (Post 11197584)
The power of Google never ceases to amaze ! I knew we talked about this on a Rennteam thread so googled "991 turbo s conrods" and it took me straight to the page on a 127 page thread :)

Here is the link for the S engine info:

http://fortyonesix.com/news/1320/por...ers-turbo-s-fo

TB993tt, Thank you. I did read that article previously - but "Rennteam" insists it is incorrect posting this on 10-08-2013:
"1. Engine hardware is the same.
2. According to rumors, Porsche chooses "better" engines (those with better "pressure" results in the dry test, I don't know how to explain it in German) for the Turbo S.
3. Software is different but it is almost impossible to switch a Turbo to the Turbo S software because not only the engine ECU is affected but many other control units too. It cannot be excluded that a tuner finds a way to do that but it is almost impossible that that tuner adjusts ALL control units to the new engine software.
4. Turbo S has a higher rev limit and a slightly louder exhaust/engine sound (sound symposer programmed slightly different). This is software related only."

And again on 10-15-2013 after reading that article per your post, Rennteam posted:
"I hate to repeat myself but let's do it again: The engine hardware is 100% the SAME. "

And later that same day, Rennteam posted again:
"The information about the pistons/conrods is NOT correct. The engine hardware is 100% the same."

So, the question continues, Who is correct? Rennteam or the reporter who wrote that report?:crying:

FastLaneTurbo 03-10-2014 12:07 PM

References for my post above can be found here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...d-turbo-s.html

TB993tt 03-10-2014 12:23 PM

Oops, I'm slightly embarrassed now, I forgot totally about those other post :o

I think the discussion was, is the 991 turbo S different to the 991 turbo (in terms of pistons and conrods) or did that Porsche engineer mean that the 991 is different to the 997 Turbo but the journo misinterpreted this..... Certainly RC of Rennteam is convinced it is the latter.
It would make sense for both the 991 turbo versions to have the same internals and would cost no more for the 991 turbo to have the same pistons and rods as the 991 turbo S - so I will go with your original version - software differences only :thumbup:

John@Fabspeed 03-17-2014 10:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Video coming soon!

John@Fabspeed 03-21-2014 09:59 AM

Go check out the official release thread if you haven't already!

ajag 03-23-2014 07:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My quick review after a couple days with the car:

Significantly louder, sounds like a monster now, snarling, popping backfires, etc. Turbos spool up faster, the car is noticeably quicker on the butt dyno (corroborates the real dyno plots). I can't wait to track this thing, in sport+ on normal streets it feels like a pit bull straining against a rapidly fraying leash. :)

I got the dual tips in flat black, looks great. Also mounted the P101s, so I'll be washing her up sometime this week and taking pics.

SamFromTX 03-23-2014 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by ajag (Post 11237055)

Significantly louder, sounds like a monster now, snarling, popping backfires, etc. Turbos spool up faster, the car is noticeably quicker on the butt dyno (corroborates the real dyno plots). I can't wait to track this thing, in sport+ on normal streets it feels like a pit bull straining against a rapidly fraying leash. :)

I got the dual tips in flat black, looks great. Also mounted the P101s, so I'll be washing her up sometime this week and taking pics.

Sooooo awesome, love it. Man, now I want one again. Enjoy it!

ajag 03-24-2014 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by SamFromTX (Post 11237566)
Sooooo awesome, love it. Man, now I want one again. Enjoy it!

Thanks Sam, don't worry you'll forget all about it when your GT3 is running again! Have they scheduled you for the fix yet?

John@Fabspeed 03-24-2014 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by ajag (Post 11237055)

Glad you enjoy it! That car sounds so good!!! It amazed me that there was NO drone with that set up :rockon:

Gofishracing 03-24-2014 05:29 PM

how many db's?

Joe@Fabspeed 03-24-2014 10:01 PM

The 991TT is completely drive able with the 70 mm 2.75" High flow X pipe.
Each and every single Porsche twin turbo from the 993tt, 996tt, all 997tt cars are silent fast efficiency vacuum cleaners in terms of sports car sound.

A dyno developed high flow quality exhaust with mandatory HJS German trimetalic 200 cell sports racing catalytic converters allows mush faster turbo response spool up and power all in one system with NO check engine lights.

Beware of systems with questionable catalytic converters as you get what you pay for and HJS catalytic converters are the best parts and foundation for a quality Porsche twin turbo exhaust system.

FYI fabspeed Motorsport is HJS Germany's second largest volume purchaser of catalytic converters in the World. More than any other manufacturers in all of Germany and Italy !

The best parts are built and Tig welded right here in the USA .

SamFromTX 03-24-2014 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by ajag (Post 11238132)
Thanks Sam, don't worry you'll forget all about it when your GT3 is running again! Have they scheduled you for the fix yet?

Not yet. No one knows when for sure although rumors abound. I'm mentally prepared to be out through May though. In the interim, I will live vicariously through Turbo/TurboS owners like you :burnout:

John@Fabspeed 03-31-2014 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by ajag (Post 11238132)

Hope you are enjoying your car! Heard you got some wheels.. throw up some pics!!!

John@Fabspeed 05-15-2014 05:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
We have just done another Turbo S in house with our full Fabspeed Performance package. This car was a local customers and the spec was just amazing!! How car these cars get any better?!

TT Surgeon 05-18-2014 06:34 PM

Now that's a nice looking car!