Sponsored by: Road Spy

PCCB PSA

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 11:11 PM
NorthvilleStig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCCB PSA

Maybe I should have read the manual ... But I didn't expect this ...

Took the TTS through a touch less carwash to rid the salt ... It also rid me of all stopping power!

Very thankful there was no one ahead of me coming up to the first traffic light out of the car wash. Otherwise it would not have ended well.

It took about a mile of occasional break pressure before it was back to normal.

Initial Google searches on this are not conclusive ... Hand washing only with no soap on the PCCB?
Old 02-14-2014, 01:16 AM
TurboDoc
Intermediate

Rain will do the same for the first block. It's very disconcerting until you get used to the fact that you need to pump the brakes a few times to dry them off. How you wash it will not matter in my experience; when they are wet they need to heat up just a bit.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:33 AM
Sulaiman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i drive my car in the rain alot ... with no ISSUE at all !!!!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:28 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

NO issue with mine either. Perfect in the wet. Interestingly, my salesman told me wet performance was better with PCCB.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts

I did my first wash yesterday and I noticed the same thing - there was a much greater reduction in braking effectiveness immediately post-wash than I was accustomed to with iron brakes. Seemed to recover quickly on it's own, though.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:35 AM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm no expert in PCCBs, but were your car's brakes relatively hot when you got them washed? Maybe that helped cake a coating of soap (or something else) over it? I think I had read somewhere that getting your car washed when the brakes are hot can be damaging to the rotors... just trying to think a little outside the box here.

But dang, that is concerning if braking ability is hampered that much in the wet...?
Old 02-14-2014, 11:09 AM
NorthvilleStig
Instructor

I had just exited from the freeway ... But outside temperature was about 20F.

That touchless system is probably blasting the wheels and rotors with soap and wax and everything else then water ... Next wash will be with coin op and I won't get much but a bit of water in there and will compare then.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:24 PM
TurboDoc
Intermediate

This is a well known issue with PCCB and discussed many times on this forum. I only experience it with the discs cold and immediately after the car wash or a soaking rain if the car has been sitting out. I assure you this has been described numerous times.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:07 AM
NorthvilleStig
Instructor

Originally Posted by TurboDoc
This is a well known issue with PCCB and discussed many times on this forum. I only experience it with the discs cold and immediately after the car wash or a soaking rain if the car has been sitting out. I assure you this has been described numerous times.
Didn't expect I was the first by any means ... But this almost rises to level of needing a bright yellow warning label on the visor ...I am just a PCCB newbie ...

Quick Reply: PCCB PSA