Sponsored by: Road Spy

Which other cars have you considered when buying the 991TT/S

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 05:49 PM
TC911
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by boxer-11
I read a story elsewhere on the internet last year and thought "hey, that's me too!" -- strange but true...the gist is that I have coveted a 911 Turbo since I was age 10 inspired by playing a Top Trumps game in the school playground. I never thought I'd actually be in a position to realize that dream...frankly, owing to an unexpected windfall I find myself there today. I have been driving an E39 M5 since new in 2001; you can get 3 car seats in the back if you try hard which was my family requirement. Now my kids are older I can go back to 2-doors Since I'm not independently wealthy, whatever I get has to be a DD for me. For me there wasn't any question that I was looking at a Porsche. The newer ones in the high end of the range all being "automatics" was a concern to me as a confirmed stick heel/toe devotee. I went and drove manual and PDK 991 C2S cars on the track back to back and concluded that PDK is "da bomb". Very impressive. Incidentally in that regime I also got to try PCCB and steel rotors and frankly couldn't really tell any meaningful difference...perhaps that's down to my lack of skills though (YMMV). I did some research and of course the 991 GT3 reviews speak of something quite special. My 10-year old memories imprinted with the 930 Turbo are still insisting that 911's look "right" only when there's a wing on the back. I did also look at C4S (in the PNW there's some appeal for 4WD) with the Aerokit Cup but a $6k option that was more cosmetic than functional seemed a bit off to me. So really it came down to the GT3 or the TT. The 991 GT3 inspiring such enthusiasm in reviews and being apparently more DD-suited was very appealing. In the end though I went for 991TT (non-S). It's practically as fast and track-capable if not so awesome sounding compared to the GT3 but as a DD can have some useful options for less track-oriented duties which of necessity will be most of my driving. PAS for example will I think make my life easier on the all-to-frequent I-5 traversals that are in my future. The other challenge for me in a GT3 would have been availability -- I probably started thinking about this too late to get a slot without having to make it my life's work to find a dealer with an unexpectedly open build slot. The fact that I lucked into a right-now slot for a TT at the same time felt like fate lending me a nudge Oh, I didn't really consider the TTS seriously because for the options I wanted the extra $25k out of pocket just didn't pass the [well, my...] straight face check. I know that's kind of a long post but I'll claim it's driven by barely contained anticipation: the ship docked yesterday and my car is off the boat and made it through inspection all in one day -- not long now!!

Congrats on the car brother !! It's a blast ! Post pictures soon! Which specs did you get?
Old 02-07-2014, 05:50 PM
TC911
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
Planning to replace my 991 cab with a turbo cab when lease is up; however the new Vette Z06 looks like a killer package, especially now that the roof panel can be removed. Just not sure how my panamera and cayenne would react to sharing the garage with a Yankee!

Hahaha not sure that they will be so happy !
Old 02-07-2014, 08:13 PM
F456 V12
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AMG SLS Roadster
AMG SL63 Roadster
Ferrari 599GTB
Bentley Continental GT Speed

Ordered 991 TT - Basalt Black, Carrera Red upgraded leather
Old 02-07-2014, 09:51 PM
SCA11
Advanced

Originally Posted by E4VLL
Any chance of some photos of your Turbo - would love to see some more photos with the Sport Classic wheels.
Sure. Lots of photos of my car in "Dark Blue Metallic 991TT" and "Sport Classic Wheels" threads.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:46 AM
shawsan
Instructor

I own a 458 Italia and a 2012 997 TTS. Can't say I'm very intrigued and wouldn't buy a 991TTS. I would buy the new GTR, especially the GTR Nismo.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:56 AM
needspeed
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

991 c4s
991 50th anniversary edition
1973 911 RS
Old 02-08-2014, 02:13 AM
AAHTT
Racer

deleted

Last edited by AAHTT; 02-08-2014 at 02:35 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:27 AM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

I began the process considering only MT optioned cars, hence:

1. C4S w/ MT (optioned to cost almost as much as the TT!)
2. 2012 MT Carbon Black Aston Martin V12 Vantage (the beauty of the car almost brought me to tears)

Went in to Larchmont Porsche to put in an order for the C4S, saw their just received GT Silver TTS, fell in love, caved on the MT, and essentially drove off with it. At the end of the day I thought the AM was visceral and a terrific driver, but behind in technology, not much warranty on a previously owned... may still want to own one, one day. My TTS: I have since replaced the multi-function steering wheel with the alcantara sport wheel (and the shifter too in alcantara), the folding side mirrors with the sport design mirrors, and the 5-lug TT wheels will be replaced with the five spoke Sport Classic wheels in about a six weeks when they arrive. I am getting the car close enough to what I would have custom ordered, am very happy with my decision, and have even come to believe that the PDK tranny "fits" the Turbo's character to a tee.

Sal
Old 02-08-2014, 10:42 AM
zedosix
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Considered just keeping my ZR1 but after it sold my sights were aimed directly at the TTS. Wanted one since the mid 80's but wasn't completely sold on it til the 991 was introduced.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

991 GT3 and 991 GT3RS - I'm still on the waiting list for both. I'm not sure what I will do if/when the time to order actually arrives. I plan to keep the turbo, but need to make up my mind between the 991 GT3 variants vs. a late 997 Cup.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:39 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TC911
Congrats on the car brother !! It's a blast ! Post pictures soon! Which specs did you get?
I'm sure more pictures would look much the same as other Rhodium cars but here's the main points from the build sheet:
Code:
991430 911 Turbo
S2 Rhodium Silver Metallic
BR Leather Interior in Black/Platinum Grey
602 LED Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
625 Porsche Entry & Drive
638 ParkAssist (Front and Rear) incl. Reversing Camera
653 Sunroof in Glass
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
352 Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC)
640 Sport Chrono Package
658 Power Steering Plus
429 20-inch 911 Turbo Wheel
342 Seat Heating (Front)
456 Adaptive Cruise Control incl. Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
509 Fire Extinguisher
541 Seat Ventilation (Front)
581 Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
583 Smoking Package
P07 Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package
970 Two-Tone Leather Interior
671 Voice Control
Since I digressed from the thread topic already a bit...one thing that I'm definitely curious about with the above is the front licence plate. I have yet to see a picture with a 991 PAS equipped car with a US front licence plate in place. I'd like to think that I could get away without here in WA but it seems like this is increasingly a revenue opportunity for the LEO hereabouts...I'll probably get mine mounted...but I don't really want to see it sticking up proud of the front end hood area curvature. Now _that_ I should post a picture of since I haven't found one anywhere else so far.

Quick Reply: Which other cars have you considered when buying the 991TT/S