Notices
991 Turbo Turbo and Turbo S

Can't decide- 991S or TT (S)

 
Old 01-30-2014, 10:28 PM
  #1  
Carcam
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Carcam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,049
Default Can't decide- 991S or TT (S)

My '12 991S was wrecked in my parking lot at work. The week before I test drove the new 991TTS and ran the numbers for a trade. Now 5 weeks later, it's still in the shop and I can't decide what to do when I get it back. My wife thinks I should get the new turbo. I kind of like the 991S better in some ways. Part of me thinks I should keep the damaged and repaired 991S (white/black, full leather, pccb's, pdk). But I wish I got the SPASM, PDCC, Burmester and Platinum wheels).

I've had many Porsches and shouldn't be so conflicted but I am- maybe your wisdom will help. I'm pushing 60, had a dozen Porches including a 996 tt and 997.1 tt. But there are things I like better about the C2s over the turbo- better sound, lower ride height, lighter weight, no gills or wings, etc. However, I love the power, especially the low end torque of the new turbo. My DD is a Cayenne diesel because of the low end torque (and mileage).

My '12 991S is probably worth about 85 now. If I keep it, I would need to upgrade the audio, do coil overs and platinum wheels. And I'm getting a little tired of white too.

My ideal base turbo would be around 174 because I want pccb's (hate brake dust). But I have learned that options on Porsches mean very little on trade so for 14 more I can get a turbo Sů now were getting close to 190 which is a lot more than my 991 or even a new 991 with the options I wish I got. Even though I can afford it, I'm trying to be fiscally responsible. If I got another 991S like the one i have with the options I wish I got it would be around 140. Hmmm- what to do?
Carcam is offline  
Old 01-30-2014, 10:45 PM
  #2  
zedosix
User
 
zedosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 147
Default

Maybe you should ask yourself this question- "if my car wasn't wrecked was I happy with what I had".

If the answer is yes, then why not just put it back together, if the answer was no I say step it up to the TTS. Once you add pccb and pdcc you're almost there anyway.

You did say money wasn't an issue.... and your wife is telling you to go ahead. So what are you waiting for, you only live once my friend.
zedosix is offline  
Old 01-30-2014, 10:50 PM
  #3  
LexVan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
LexVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicagoland Area
Posts: 19,576
Default

Always agree with your wife.
LexVan is offline  
Old 01-30-2014, 11:19 PM
  #4  
Overdraft
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Overdraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,281
Default

I'm kind of in the same boat - except I am 51...so in the end after some deliberation I agreed I would never say to myself "am I ever sorry I bought this Turbo S"....
Overdraft is offline  
Old 01-30-2014, 11:55 PM
  #5  
ColdList
User
 
ColdList's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 337
Default

If you are having this battle just get the TTS. TRUST me on this! I bought my 2014 C2S in August. Traded it a few weeks ago for a new TT. Took the TT back after 6 days and ordered a TTS. Get what you WANT because you don't want to go out in the garage EVER and say "I wish I had". Being fiscally responsible also includes trading while the trading is good and not losing more making your decision to do so later on. These cars are not "need" cars as you know probably more than most on here. They are "wants". Again, get what you really want and smile all every time you jump in the driver's seat. There were most definitely some things I liked better about my C2s-mostly the things you indicated-sound, raw feel, etc. but it is nothing compared to the new TT or TTS. I don't mean that the C2S is in any way not an AMAZING car-it is! But it cannot compare in performance in any respect whatsoever to the TT or TTS. I am going through major withdrawals from only having the TT for one week. I cannot WAIT until that TTS gets here!

The Burnmester stinks in the Carrera IMO. Had it in the TT. Only thing I don't miss one bit. Too little air space in the cabin for the sound field to expand. You find your self constantly adjusting the levels when you turn the stereo up or down. It would be FINE if you listen to music at a constant low or moderate ate. I like to crank it up frequently. I don;t like having to readjust the levels each time and then do it again when I lower the volume. Not worth the $3,500. Stick with Bose. In a Panamera or Cayene the Burmester is the better fit. Not in the Carrera. I don't care what the reviews say. I would suggest that you listen to one (if you already haven't) in a Carrera before making that expenditure.

And yes. Always listen to your wife. I ended up with a big "I told you so!"-ugh...
ColdList is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 01:46 AM
  #6  
zedosix
User
 
zedosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 147
Default

I ordered the berm and hope you are wrong ^^. I'll find out in 2 mths.
zedosix is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 08:35 AM
  #7  
Carcam
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Carcam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,049
Default

ColdList- your turbo was beautiful and really got me thinking. My wife loved those pictures you posted. Good luck with the wait!
Carcam is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 09:05 AM
  #8  
achildofthesky
User
 
achildofthesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SW Fl. among the gently swaying palms...
Posts: 167
Default TTS...

Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
If you are having this battle just get the TTS. TRUST me on this! I bought my 2014 C2S in August. Traded it a few weeks ago for a new TT. Took the TT back after 6 days and ordered a TTS. Get what you WANT because you don't want to go out in the garage EVER and say "I wish I had". Being fiscally responsible also includes trading while the trading is good and not losing more making your decision to do so later on. These cars are not "need" cars as you know probably more than most on here. They are "wants". Again, get what you really want and smile all every time you jump in the driver's seat. There were most definitely some things I liked better about my C2s-mostly the things you indicated-sound, raw feel, etc. but it is nothing compared to the new TT or TTS. I don't mean that the C2S is in any way not an AMAZING car-it is! But it cannot compare in performance in any respect whatsoever to the TT or TTS. I am going through major withdrawals from only having the TT for one week. I cannot WAIT until that TTS gets here!


And yes. Always listen to your wife. I ended up with a big "I told you so!"-ugh...
Wise words. I did a similar thing with a 991 C4S and while it was a very nice car it was not the right car for me as my daily driver and personal amazement tool. Off it went after 1 tank of gas and am now sorting through the decisions of ordering a new 991 TT (edit: not a 997.2 Turbo for a couple years first) we are also considering a Boxster or Cayman too for a work car for my other half to use for work.

If you are considering getting a different car, your "old" car is never worth as much as it is today.

Good luck with your decision and be safe
Patty

Last edited by achildofthesky; 01-31-2014 at 12:34 PM. Reason: clarity of thought and slap up along side my head (;->)
achildofthesky is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 10:53 AM
  #9  
ajag
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ajag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 852
Default

If you are thinking TTS, have the means and, more importantly, the go ahead from the wife, you will regret not doing it. Good advice from all above. Yes, it doesn't sound as good, but still better than the 997TT, and it's heavier, but you feel that less and less at speed due to the RWS. And the tq...
ajag is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 10:53 AM
  #10  
ColdList
User
 
ColdList's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 337
Default

Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
I ordered the berm and hope you are wrong ^^. I'll find out in 2 mths.
I don't mean to be so harsh about it. My assessment I guess is how it applies to my style of listening. The TT that I bought was was an ordered unit that someone had canceled. I saw it had Burmester and that was one of the things that attracted me to this particular car. I had the B&O in my M5 and t was amazing. When I go the Bose in my C2S it was just not as good-good enough but not as nice as the B&O. So I was REALLY looking forward to what was supposed o be the "best" sound system out there. At low levels, it was absolutely great-no issues whatsoever. However, when turning it up to high levels it just has this massive bass that drowns out the mids and highs and I found myself re-adjusting the bass and treble and the Burmester surround, smoothing, etc. Again, this is my subjective view but my sales guy was very perplexed too. I have a buddy who works at another dealership and when I had previously talked to him about building a 991 TT and I said that I needed the Burmester, he advised against it as well. He said that in the Cayenne it was insane. In the Carrera-not so much. I think that if you are not a guy like me, who is still a CRAZY kid at heart, and loves to crank up his favorite tunes to the max, then you prob. will like it fine. I don't want to give you an unjust negative perception just because it doesn't suit my needs. I realize my comments were very strong. I should have emphasized the subjectivity.

Last edited by ColdList; 01-31-2014 at 11:11 AM.
ColdList is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 11:13 AM
  #11  
ColdList
User
 
ColdList's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 337
Default

Originally Posted by Carcam View Post
ColdList- your turbo was beautiful and really got me thinking. My wife loved those pictures you posted. Good luck with the wait!
Thanks! And you'r ein real trouble if she already saw it!

And the wait...oh dear.....as soon as my eyes pop open every morning I start thinking about it. ugh...
ColdList is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 11:16 AM
  #12  
ColdList
User
 
ColdList's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 337
Default

Originally Posted by achildofthesky View Post
Wise words. I did a similar thing with a 991 C4S and while it was a very nice car it was not the right car for me as my daily driver and personal amazement tool. Off it went after 1 tank of gas and am now sorting through the decisions of ordering a new 991 TT or perhaps a 997.2 Turbo for a couple years first (we are also considering a Boxster or Cayman too for a work car for my other half to use for work).

If you are considering getting a different car, it is never worth as much as it is today.

Good luck with your decision and be safe
Patty
Oh no Patty! You are STILL stuck in one of those decisions it seems!

Get the 991 that you WANT. Otherwise yo may end up with another tank of gas wasted. Best of luck with your decision.

-Mike
ColdList is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 11:17 AM
  #13  
ColdList
User
 
ColdList's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 337
Default

Originally Posted by ajag View Post
And the tq...
ColdList is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 12:30 PM
  #14  
achildofthesky
User
 
achildofthesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SW Fl. among the gently swaying palms...
Posts: 167
Thumbs up 991 TT...

Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Oh no Patty! You are STILL stuck in one of those decisions it seems!

Get the 991 that you WANT. Otherwise yo may end up with another tank of gas wasted. Best of luck with your decision.

-Mike
Mike:

I do believe you are right about that. I fixed my post to correct that bit of temporary insanity. That would be a bit more than silly of me to do that again (;->). Thanks for the nudge. Equipment/options is pretty easy to settle and color is down to 2 choices. In the mean time, we may well pick up a Boxster (possibly Cayman) as a "work" car for the one of that does, too much nice weather here to spend it in a suv...

Be safe
Patty

Last edited by achildofthesky; 01-31-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: silly previous post correction
achildofthesky is offline  
Old 02-01-2014, 10:49 AM
  #15  
ColdList
User
 
ColdList's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 337
Default

Originally Posted by achildofthesky View Post
Mike:

I do believe you are right about that. I fixed my post to correct that bit of temporary insanity. That would be a bit more than silly of me to do that again (;->). Thanks for the nudge. Equipment/options is pretty easy to settle and color is down to 2 choices. In the mean time, we may well pick up a Boxster (possibly Cayman) as a "work" car for the one of that does, too much nice weather here to spend it in a suv...

Be safe
Patty
Anything to save someone from the insanity that I put myself through!
ColdList is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can't decide- 991S or TT (S)


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: