Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Pros and Cons of Turbo S Single Bolt vs 5-Bolt Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 05:03 PM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe one of you fellas with CL wheels can confirm some discouraging news that I heard through one of my area Porsche dealers.

I was told that Porsche has a service bulletin out that requires servicing/replacing bearings? (and other parts) on CL wheels/hubs every 5,000 miles. The first service is a whopping $10,000, the second service is $5,000, then subsequent services alternate; 10K / 5K / 10K / etc.

If that’s true, I foresee a future class action lawsuit representing those who have CL wheels. Over time that’s one helluva un-programmed expense.

The guy who told me this is extremely knowledgeable about 911s. I was looking at a low mile 997 GTS, but it had CL wheels, so I walked.

Comments?
Old 03-07-2014, 06:07 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

That maintenance schedule is to be followed if you track. For street you should be fine.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:45 AM
TurboDoc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can produce the service bulletin if needed, however, neanicu is correct. The service is only required if your car sees frequent track use. Porsche specifically makes this distinction.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:56 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboDoc
I can produce the service bulletin if needed, however, neanicu is correct. The service is only required if your car sees frequent track use. Porsche specifically makes this distinction.
Can you shed light on what is considered "frequent"?
Old 03-08-2014, 01:27 AM
TurboDoc
Intermediate

I checked the language in the bulletin and it states 600 NM for track day usage and the service supplement is based on track usage. The dealer claims driver education events don't require the additional service and it is meant for those that frequently track their cars. I suppose frequent is open to interpretation.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:26 PM
sebearstian
Instructor

Based on what i am reading from this thread, it just doesn't make sense to be using the CLs. It is a pain in the a** to dismount the wheel, and if you are on PCCB you have a good chance of damaging them. Imagine getting up to speed and then discovering your brakes are not working? That will be the worst nightmare ever. CLs and PCCBs sounds like best recipe for disaster. Oh wait they are both standard on the TurboS. They are lighter for less unsprung mass and looks pretty, but they are not durable for track use. What is Porsche thinking regarding CLs?
Old 03-09-2014, 12:28 PM
sebearstian
Instructor

Originally Posted by huracan
Based on what i am reading from this thread, it just doesn't make sense to be using the CLs. It is a pain in the a** to dismount the wheel, and if you are on PCCB you have a good chance of damaging them. Imagine getting up to speed and then discovering your brakes are not working? That will be the worst nightmare ever. CLs and PCCBs sounds like best recipe for disaster. Oh wait they are both standard on the TurboS. They are lighter for less unsprung mass and looks pretty, but they are not durable for track use. What is Porsche thinking regarding CLs?

I forgot to say, despite all that, i am still getting my GT3 with PCCBs. What is the world coming to?
Old 03-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

I help a friend change his CLs at the track often and they are the biggest PITA ever. I understand they look better but I would never get them.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Snorman
Advanced

lol...

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of Turbo S Single Bolt vs 5-Bolt Wheels