Sponsored by: Road Spy

Pros and Cons of Turbo S Single Bolt vs 5-Bolt Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 05:46 PM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
I posed myself the same question - but driven more by variety of wheels 5 lug Vs. CL in the market if ever I was to get snows...or in the future if I want to give the car a different look. I like the look of the CL on the TTS...it is attractive - sporty - yet classic - and by and large makes it easy to distinguish the 's' from the non 's' from a distance (Carcommander notwithstanding). I do my own tire maintenance so not so concerned about investing in the torque wrench that would work with the car's adapter...(which is in the car's boot in a flat situation). With that tool and me standing by his side, CAA (AAA) guys will have no issue maintaining the wheel if any roadside repair was able- on any configuration of wheel....and with that, likely suppliers are from out of town anyway if the existing tire couldn't be salvaged. Manufacturers are now starting to produce more CL wheels so selection not even as much of an issue in the near future. So to me anyway, pick your favourite wheel (CL of 5 lug doesn't matter) and enjoy....but one more thing to consider???...it is a 911 T or TTS guys, doesn't the CL make the car read a little more "exotic" - race pedigree and all - with them on?
What tool set up do you use for centre lock removal need a good recommendation on torque multiplier to achieve the right torque..also what do you use to initially crack the centre lock...can the multiplier be used for that...or do you use a long bar?
Old 01-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

Can't help you yet YPM...my car doesn't arrive until May - but I would think the centre piece will come with the car (much like the wheel nut adapter)...I will have to buy the torque wrench. Anyone out there buy one as yet?
Old 02-01-2014, 01:27 PM
JJ Cleghorne
Advanced

Originally Posted by hf1
I don't understand why anyone would voluntarily pick CL over 5-lug when given the choice.
5 > 1.
+1 I'm not sure what the point is for CL wheels on a road car. Except for racing with a pit crew where speed in wheel removal is key.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:26 PM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by hf1
I don't understand why anyone would voluntarily pick CL over 5-lug when given the choice.
5 > 1.
I kind of understand where you are coming from...but if you order the 991 tt with CL option they want extra 3k...If you order 991 tts with lug option they don't give you that 3k back..thank you Porsche .
Old 02-03-2014, 12:40 AM
08viper1
Instructor

Brought my 14 TS to the dealer to check the torque on my CL wheels.They were right on the money. Their is a lug socket in the trunk. But what a pain in the *** to remove the wheel on the road. They printed out the instructions for me and showed me how to do it. After all that I decided, if I have a tire issue, I will just have the car towed to the closeted Porsche dealer.They explained that any contact with the ceramic disc, they will crack and are about 5000.00 ea on the TS...I do have a plug kit to for the heck of it...

They look much better than the 5 lug,but again a pain to deal with..
Old 02-03-2014, 10:18 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

CL = 0 functionality...
It's all about the illusion of perception and appearance!!
Old 02-03-2014, 10:58 AM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
...it is a 911 T or TTS guys, doesn't the CL make the car read a little more "exotic" - race pedigree and all - with them on?
^^^^
Old 02-03-2014, 05:24 PM
TC911
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Center lock for me no question about it ! No tracking my TTS for me
Old 02-23-2014, 07:33 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

Tough decision; the CLs look amazing, but the down sides are certainly there as noted above. I am ordering a TT cab and can't decide whether to get them or not. Kinda leaning towards getting them because they look awesome, plus the regular turbo wheel with black paint option just doesn't do it for me; decisions....
Old 02-24-2014, 03:36 PM
08viper1
Instructor

So get the CLs like I did and just deal with the issue IF it happens. I have a plug kit and will buy the Snap On T Wrench to carry with me.I was at the track last weekend and talked to the lead mechanic on a Porsche 911 race team.They have 2 GT3 with CL and he showed me how to do it.No big deal,if you have the Snap On 500 pd T Wrench,3/4..But it cost 900.00 dollars..What Ever,buy a 14 TS and I guess it is what it is...

The Turbos look way better with the CL wheel even if they are a pain in the ***..
Old 02-24-2014, 10:27 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't that ironic that the only true advantage of the CL is for quicker wheel changes when racing, but all people that track their cars avoid CLs? On the other hand, people that never go to the track chooses the CLs because they look good and "racy".

That cracks me up.

Porsche is always funny like that. Like when they put Porsche sticker in place of the emblem on the GT3 hood to save weight, yet the car comes with radio, sat nav and a/c....
Old 02-24-2014, 10:35 PM
NorthvilleStig
Instructor

At the end of the day these are luxury road cars built for "enthusiasts" don't forget that .. A real track or race car would bare little resemblance. Exotic and race only partially intersect.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:42 AM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Had my Porsche driving experience and the instructor said there is a huge difference in driving back to back cars with and without centre locks especially in combination with ceramic brakes..big influence on braking and handling due to the reduced unsprung weight benefits...not sure about what he said about the actuall centre lock wheel was true, but he said they were considerably lighter..some research would need doing to check this...
Old 02-25-2014, 12:43 PM
sscofield
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been advised by my dealer that in the event of a flat, Porsche will pay for the transport to the nearest Porsche dealership for tire repair.

Note, the dealer stipulated that I would be reposnible for the actual repair (e.g. replace tire, replace broken wheel/rim), but the transport costs would be covered by warranty.

Has anyone heard the same or anything to the contrary?
Old 02-25-2014, 01:02 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by sscofield
I have been advised by my dealer that in the event of a flat, Porsche will pay for the transport to the nearest Porsche dealership for tire repair. Note, the dealer stipulated that I would be reposnible for the actual repair (e.g. replace tire, replace broken wheel/rim), but the transport costs would be covered by warranty. Has anyone heard the same or anything to the contrary?
As far as I know,for the duration of the factory warranty or CPO for that matter,Porsche includes free Roadside assistance. So your dealer is correct IMO.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of Turbo S Single Bolt vs 5-Bolt Wheels