Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Spoiler extended all the time or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:57 PM
NorthvilleStig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S in Look-at-me blue with yellow accents and extra badging and extra loud stereo with glass roof ... A spoiler is the least of what will be loud here.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:15 PM
TC911
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthvilleStig
S in Look-at-me blue with yellow accents and extra badging and extra loud stereo with glass roof ... A spoiler is the least of what will be loud here.
Haha nice !!!! Post some pics when you get it 😉
Old 01-21-2014, 10:22 AM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
Maybe not, but 99.9% of the people will think you are a poser.

But if you are driving the car, you can't see it, right? So you want others to see it which makes you a poser. Or shall we say, poseur?
What a comical way to live...not only worrying about what others think of you, but also worrying about what others think of others.

You need to stop listening to that silly little voice in your head that spits out that racket all day sir. Life just isn't that serious.

God help those poor souls with fixed wings.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:23 AM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by TC911
I will tell you in June
Uh oh...are you trying to take that allocation back or are you referring to me?! haha!

I'm getting a lift installed in the garage!
Old 01-21-2014, 10:25 AM
ColdList
Racer

Yes! Post some pics! THAT sounds like a very cool build! You are going to LOVE this car my friend.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:35 AM
TC911
Advanced

Originally Posted by ColdList
Uh oh...are you trying to take that allocation back or are you referring to me?! haha! I'm getting a lift installed in the garage!
Hahaha JK !!! Every time I drive my car I know I made the right move getting the turbo
Old 01-21-2014, 11:06 AM
NorthvilleStig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It just arrived at the dealer! In Florida until Friday
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2014, 01:12 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

It just arrived at the dealer! In Florida until Friday
That is going to be sweet whether spoiler up or down
Old 01-25-2014, 01:12 PM
apias
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TC911
I definitely agree that Porsche knows when the extension should be activated more than anyone else ....but thinking like that there should not even be a button to activate manually . I guess I try hard most of the days and thankful that I have good streets here love the look with the front spoiler deployed
The aero on the Turbo is designed to deploy automatically at the speeds it's needed to counteract the lift due to airflow over the car and maintain adequate traction. The manual deployment button is there in case you want more traction, for example, in the wet, or if you just like the look. At low speeds, it's not going to make any significant difference, either way, but, consider that having it deployed all the time may slow you down (and slightly increase tire wear) at intermediate speeds by increasing road friction and drag. But, probably not a huge difference, either way.

(Probably, the biggest issue, as mentioned by others, is scraping the front spoiler when it's manually deployed.)

Last edited by apias; 01-25-2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: afterthought
Old 01-25-2014, 04:27 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Coming from a slammed GT3 with a Cup lip spoiler, I'm VERY happy that the TT's front lip is retractable....
Scraping on nearly every bump removes a lot of pleasure from driving on public roads, no matter how "Bad-***" it may look... On track is another matter completely!

Function over form!

NorthvilleStig.... Nice looking combo!!
Old 01-25-2014, 05:16 PM
TC911
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Coming from a slammed GT3 with a Cup lip spoiler, I'm VERY happy that the TT's front lip is retractable.... Scraping on nearly every bump removes a lot of pleasure from driving on public roads, no matter how "Bad-***" it may look... On track is another matter completely! Function over form! NorthvilleStig.... Nice looking combo!!
Agreed !!!
Old 01-26-2014, 08:54 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Look?

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
+2

Porsche knows a lot more about when the spoiler(s) should be activated than anyone here. Having them deployed all the time looks like your "trying too hard" for attention. Just owning the dang thing is attention enough. Just my .02
+3 Only those of us who know the spoiler goes up over 75 and down under 35 would know the difference. But I do enjoy the humor when I see anyone in a Carrera with the spoiler up while driving through a parking lot!

Sorry I only have a 2002 TT but I did ride in a new Turbo S. You 991 Turbo drivers sure have an awesome ride!
Old 01-26-2014, 10:41 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Assuming the 991 Wing is lifted by increasing the Hydraulic fluid pressure on the lifting struts, as were
previous 996 and 997 Turbos, by keeping the fluid continuously pressurized, even when not needed, you
are increasing the likelihood of the hydraulic fluid leakage around the seals which would require replenishment eventually. Previous Wing Hydraulic systems were not repairable nor could the dealer replenish lost fluid, and replacement costs were high, several thousand dollars. Also you are exposing the piston's surfaces to dirt and contamination needlessly which would further degrade the seals upon any wing movement. IMHO, NOT a good idea to keep the wing "Up" and continuously pressurized.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:51 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Let me hasten to add that keeping the front Lip rubberized fabric air dams continually pressurized with air is also a really bad idea. They can be more readily damaged by curbs, steep driveways, speed bumps,
parking front wheel chocks, etc. At least one of our members has already damaged his and replacement cost was close to $2,000.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:20 AM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Assuming the 991 Wing is lifted by increasing the Hydraulic fluid pressure on the lifting struts, as were
previous 996 and 997 Turbos, by keeping the fluid continuously pressurized, even when not needed, you
are increasing the likelihood of the hydraulic fluid leakage around the seals which would require replenishment eventually. Previous Wing Hydraulic systems were not repairable nor could the dealer replenish lost fluid, and replacement costs were high, several thousand dollars. Also you are exposing the piston's surfaces to dirt and contamination needlessly which would further degrade the seals upon any wing movement. IMHO, NOT a good idea to keep the wing "Up" and continuously pressurized.
Now THAT is an intelligent response. Well done.

Quick Reply: Spoiler extended all the time or not ?