Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo S Initial Impressions

Old 01-12-2014, 08:53 PM
roger sf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 991 Turbo S Initial Impressions

I took delivery of my Turbo S about 3 weeks ago. I've had a number of Porsches in the past, including both 993 and 996 twin turbos. While I enjoyed both of those cars, I didn't love the turbo lag, the lack of revs and the relative lack of an exhaust note. My favorite Porsche was my 997 GT3RS because it filled those voids that the turbos didn't.

I really looked forward to this new turbo and the wait was well worth it. The car has exceeded my expectations in virtually every way. The power delivery feels nothing short of linear and the PDK is especially well suited to the turbo because it makes it so easy to shift and to keep the revs where you want them. I love the PDK and wouldn't have suggested the manual even if it was available.

The power delivery in the car is remarkably smooth - I've not experienced a high HP car putting power down so smoothly and confidently. The car has a nice exhaust note to it, not as enthralling as the GT3 but for a car that I plan to use regularly, it's just right. It puts speed on effortlessly and there is just no muss or fuss
- it's so easy to use.

The most remarkable part of the car for me is the handling which must be a reflection of the AWS. It works remarkably well and the car is just brilliant in the twisties. It hooks up in a way that is uncanny and incredibly confidence inspiring. I look forward to seeing what the new GT3 feels like with the same AWS - I'm wondering if it can better than the AWD?

Build quality feels exceptional. The only critique I can muster is that there is no logical place to put a cell phone and have it accessible. There is a funky little notch in the center console that is too small for anything useful but would have been a place to rest a phone.

Order wise my car is dark blue with a black interior. I went with red deviated stitching to give the interior a bit of pop. Generally tried to stay away from the bank account draining options list. Total spend on options was only about $7k which felt like a victory!

Here are a few photos. In low light the car looks black. I like the understated color for everyday use.

Name:  image-213816092.jpg
Views: 3283
Size:  583.7 KB

Name:  image-1655194541.jpg
Views: 1519
Size:  543.5 KB

Name:  image-3944279607.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  424.4 KB
Old 01-12-2014, 09:23 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

WOW!
What a beauty!
Congrats!
Love the red stitching!
You must be happy!
Enjoy!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:40 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! Thanks for the driving impression.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:51 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent looking car. Do keep us up in the future with further reviews.

Enjoy and be safe
Patty
Old 01-16-2014, 05:45 AM
Sir_Ferrari
Intermediate

Congratulation! Beautiful color!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:51 PM
08viper1
Instructor

Agreed,exceeded expectations,esp.coming from 2011 Turbo S.Have Black on Black 14 TS...
Old 03-02-2014, 02:59 AM
Hugo Gunnarsen
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roger sf
Build quality feels exceptional. The only critique I can muster is that there is no logical place to put a cell phone and have it accessible. There is a funky little notch in the center console that is too small for anything useful but would have been a place to rest a phone.
In my M3 I have a pouch (option) where I store my iPhone. It's in the same spot where I guess the optional handset would go (under the arm rest, in it's roof). I bet (have not checked yet, and if not... I'll make myself one) you should be able to find a clip-on (double sided tape or something), that will allow you to slide a phone into that slot, and keep it from moving around, and relatively easy access.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:05 AM
E4VLL
Instructor

Beautiful Roger - looks really special and I agree that it looks like a very classy daily driver.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:17 AM
PMAA
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Roger beautiful car and thanks for posting! Was wondering what you thought of the exhaust note in the 991TTS?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:56 AM
E4VLL
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hugo Gunnarsen
In my M3 I have a pouch (option) where I store my iPhone. It's in the same spot where I guess the optional handset would go (under the arm rest, in it's roof). I bet (have not checked yet, and if not... I'll make myself one) you should be able to find a clip-on (double sided tape or something), that will allow you to slide a phone into that slot, and keep it from moving around, and relatively easy access.
Perhaps a stupid question but if you're in the car and have Bluetooth hooked up, why do you even need access to the phone? PCM takes over and gives you all the functionality you need.

I've had two buddies who have had accidents whilst using their phones. One was in a traffic jam, thought he would catch up on some texts and lost track of flow, through the person in front had moved further than they had, and ended up driving into the back if them. Even at slow speed the bill was in the thousands. Second one, a bigger idiot, was looking at his phone on a quiet road, misjudged his entrance speed to a turn and got his wheel onto a wet verge - lost it and put the car into a boundary wall.

Porsche never used to have cup holders in their cars because their attitude was you should be driving, not consuming a beverage! I feel the same with phones - if it can't be done via the PCM integration, it can wait until you've got to your destination. Stay safe fellas and Roger, enjoy that stunning motor!
The following users liked this post:
moto_geek (11-29-2021)
Old 03-02-2014, 10:04 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats, looks great and nice review!
Old 03-02-2014, 10:42 AM
zedosix
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I see you will never have any issues with your sunroof rattling! Nice ride, can't wait.......
Old 03-02-2014, 11:00 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Use the cup holder for your cell phone.
The following users liked this post:
moto_geek (11-29-2021)
Old 03-02-2014, 02:16 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by E4VLL
Perhaps a stupid question but if you're in the car and have Bluetooth hooked up, why do you even need access to the phone? PCM takes over and gives you all the functionality you need.
There are somethings on the phone that don't translate to PCM. For example, I use Waze a lot for the crowd sourced updates on what's going on ahead of me. I have to say I'm pretty underwhelmed by the XM live traffic feed to PCM by comparison.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:06 AM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roger sf
The only critique I can muster is that there is no logical place to put a cell phone and have it accessible. There is a funky little notch in the center console that is too small for anything useful but would have been a place to rest a phone.
First of all AWESOME car! Love it! Congrats!

Secondly, no kidding on the cell phone thing. I sort of wedge mine at an angle in the driver door pocket but it never fails to tilt back and drop in there!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 Turbo S Initial Impressions