Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   First impressions with the new 991 TT (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/793959-first-impressions-with-the-new-991-tt.html)

phillipj 01-05-2014 04:15 PM

First impressions with the new 991 TT

I went by my dealer this morning and they had just gotten in a new TT. Perfect timing as I had hoped they would have one..

I know the salesman well and he said "Good timing.. We just got in a white Turbo yesterday".. I thought "Oh boy.. White my favorite"

The car is a base TT in white with a black interior and red belts. It has steel brakes and 20 inch rims..

I studied the car from all angles. I sat in the car and scrutinized the interior and the ergonomics..

Here are my impressions..

The cars is beautiful from the outside..It's not as big as I had heard.. I'm not too keen on the front bumper design..Looks a bit Japanese.. The back looks great (except for the badging of course.) To me the exterior quite impressive. The sticker on this car was $163k.

I was so excited to get in it..

When I sat in the car one word came to mind. "Cheap".. The seats are awful and look and feel cheap..It even smells cheap. I could have been sitting in a Boxster, Cayman or 991 Carrera and I wouldn't have known the difference. I'm not sure about seat options on the 991 but these were horrible..

In my opinion when you sit in a Ferrari, McLaren, Lambo, Jag, etc they feels very special inside..They feel "expensive" and "exotic". The new TT is generic and boring. In my opinion they dropped the ball on this one in a big way.. Especially since the car (Especially the S which by the way has the same crappy interior.) is selling near the $200k mark..

The steering wheel is bland..The PCM is bland..It's like a Mini Van.. Nothing in the car feels like an exotic sports car.. It feels like a Lexus. I was so underwhelmed.

The interior does not feel like a sports car costing $170k.. In my opinion the seats and functional design in the 997 interior are far superior. The center console in the 991 gets in the way. Very much like in an Aston.. It just feels "wrong".

I will drive the car next week.. Of course the salesman wanted me to "trade up" and buy this car. Not a chance.. I think he was shocked that I wasn't that impressed.. I remember the first time I saw the 997 TT when they came out.. I had a 996 at the time. I was drooling..I wanted one sooo bad...

I'm sure the car (the 991 TT) will be very fast and handle better than mine.. But when I got back in to my TT just filled with race gas I got a big smile on my face. My car still smells new inside.. Actually better than the new TT I was in.. My interior is so far superior to that Horrible 991..Just my opinion.. It seems that Porsche found away to increase margins by offering cheaper, "Plastic like" leather substitute..

Being a stock and options trader I'm always thinking of "risk/reward".. In California we have a 9.75 sales tax. So that car would end up costing about $180. They would probably offer me less that 50 for my TT.. That is a "bad trade" for another depreciating asset. At least for me anyway..

If history repeats itself that car will sell for around $85k in 3 years...

I will do a l follow up once I drive the car next week. It kind of makes me sad that I don't want one really badly... I believe my next car will be another 997 TT probably an 09.. Or maybe a 997-2 S...

Perhaps after the drive I will change my mind? We'll see..

rcgalore 01-05-2014 05:01 PM

Please keep us posted. Nice write up.

docfink 01-05-2014 05:46 PM

Chris Harris sure seems to feel it's superior, at least on the track...but it definitely isn't the step-up from the 997.2 TT as the new 991 GT3 is to the previous GT3...

phillipj 01-05-2014 05:55 PM

I know that Chris Harris liked the car a lot.. I respect him tremendously.. I'm sure the 991 is amazing on the track. Especially in the hands of Chris. But how many of us track our TT's?

I just don't understand why Porsche didn't make the TT more special. The GT3 has the same awful interior as the TT..No doubt an amazing car though!

It just seems to me that the GT3 and the TT should have been a in a class of their own and not share the same components of the "entry level" Porsches like the Boxster and Cayman.. Especially for 150 to 200k..

My critique is not about performance.. It's about style and feel..

Boeing 717 01-05-2014 06:02 PM

Less special and mo money.....awesome!!

Terry Adams 01-05-2014 06:39 PM

This is why I buy a new Porsche every 10 years, drive it about 160K miles, wash rinse repeat. Only when a special one comes along.

Evolutionary is not good enough for $180K or so.

At 67 with 2 new hips I am probably on my last one anyway.

Hookers and blow sounds like a better investment if I could get away with it.

550bryan 01-05-2014 06:50 PM

Insightful write up Phillip, I just wish you wouldn't have taken a shot at Lexus interiors, my DD is a Lexus LS460 F sport and it has a really nice interior with quality materials, LOL. I'm really looking forward to your driving impressions. Your point on depreciation is really valid, I'd rather let some other guy spend his $$ for those first few years of enjoyment and I'll wait for the lightly used example at half price or so. That why I bought an 09 TT rather than a 2011 TTS (with their better PDK software), but they just weren't depreciated enough for me. Perhaps in a couple more years, but as another LA guy I share you pain on the sales tax rip off. It's OK though we have high income and property taxes to go with it…..

speed21 01-05-2014 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by phillipj (Post 11027510)
The car is a base TT in white with a black interior and red belts.

When I sat in the car one word came to mind. "Cheap".

In my opinion when you sit in a Ferrari, McLaren, Lambo, Jag, etc they feels very special inside..They feel "expensive" and "exotic". The new TT is generic and boring. In my opinion they dropped the ball on this one in a big way.. Especially since the car (Especially the S which by the way has the same crappy interior.) is selling near the $200k mark..

The interior does not feel like a sports car costing $170k. In my opinion the seats and functional design in the 997 interior are far superior. The center console in the 991 gets in the way. Very much like in an Aston.. It just feels "wrong".

I will drive the car next week.. Of course the salesman wanted me to "trade up" and buy this car. Not a chance.. I think he was shocked that I wasn't that impressed.. I remember the first time I saw the 997 TT when they came out.. I had a 996 at the time. I was drooling..I wanted one sooo bad...

I'm sure the car (the 991 TT) will be very fast and handle better than mine.. But when I got back in to my TT just filled with race gas I got a big smile on my face. My car still smells new inside.. Actually better than the new TT I was in.. My interior is so far superior to that Horrible 991..Just my opinion.. It seems that Porsche found away to increase margins by offering cheaper, "Plastic like" leather substitute..

Being a stock and options trader I'm always thinking of "risk/reward".. In California we have a 9.75 sales tax. So that car would end up costing about $180.
If history repeats itself that car will sell for around $85k in 3 years...

I believe my next car will be another 997 TT probably an 09.. Or maybe a 997-2 S...

….details of my positive experience deleted as OP was upset with my contradictory experience.

For those interested, whilst I can't comment for the standard 991TT my conclusion after test driving the 991TTS was that it was (to me) unquestionably the superior car in every way over my well sorted 997tt.1. Just my own personal experience..and sorry for this bad news which has upset certain members of "the clan".

br911 01-05-2014 07:08 PM

Think about the weather in LA today and almost everywhere else in the country and we can see why they can get away with charging us those taxes in CA....

550bryan 01-05-2014 07:42 PM

br911, As my friends point out, "quit complaining and write the check, it the price you pay to live in So Cal" Took my car today for a couple of laps of Palos Verdes Drive East, if anyone know's the neighborhood, they'll know why I was smiling ear to ear, the 75 degree weather with the beautiful views of Catalina didn't hurt either.

speed21 01-05-2014 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Boeing 717 (Post 11027759)
Less special and mo money.....awesome!!

Nope it's definitely more special, and, removing money from the equation I would seriously question the legitimacy/rationale behind anyone saying the contrary.

br911 01-05-2014 08:08 PM

I think the TT lost its place in the top of Porsche's product list, given the simultaneous launch of the TTS. The interior of any Porsche can be made special, but one would have to spend perhaps over $10K (US prices) more in additional leather, crest, CF, center console in leather, stitching, etc... If I had to go the 991 route, I would not spend the additional money to upgrade the interior of a TT. I would then go all the way to a well equipped TTS, which would bring it to almost $220K. In essence, in order to achieve the exclusivity that the 993, 996 and 997.1 Turbos used to have, you are forced to pay extra for options, plus $ 30 K for the difference between TT and TTS (that includes PCCB's). Individually, options don't seem to cost a lot, but by the time you finish with your nice car, you are in (slightly used) F and Mac territory (I agree with Speed21 that the Mac interior is quite spartan), SLS63, Aston, and others. Still, I think Porsche is able to charge a premium for its cars since so many of us tend to prefer it to other brands as a DD, reliable, efficient and to an extent, stealth. Still not a great deal.

Looking forward to phillipj's driving impressions.

550bryan 01-05-2014 08:10 PM

The rules are certainly different in a price no object world, I'm guessing, I don't live there….

Igooz 01-05-2014 08:12 PM

I agree with Phillip's comments...that's why I am not getting a 991TT although I am due for one. Really nice cars...for sure...so is a Lexus as pointed out earlier and will make a lot profit for VW (or Toyota)

I will take the high road and won't repeat my negative comments (mostly driven) about no manual... I wonder how much of the cookie cutter mentality is coming from VW? Corporate executives on job rotation through Porsche?

Did I mention that I bought a '72 911S this week? 2.7L, dual plugged, 6 X Webers, Giken, ...Now that thing is awesome!!

VECCA 01-05-2014 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by 550bryan (Post 11028016)
br911, Took my car today for a couple of laps of Palos Verdes Drive East, if anyone know's the neighborhood, they'll know why I was smiling ear to ear, the 75 degree weather with the beautiful views of Catalina didn't hurt either.

Know it VERY well, and I'LL now be able to join you. I JUST picked up a 12 GTS.

Igooz 01-05-2014 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by br911 (Post 11027939)
Think about the weather in LA today and almost everywhere else in the country and we can see why they can get away with charging us those taxes in CA....

I'd be moving to CA in a minute if it wasn't for the guy(s) with spikey hair! ;)

997rs4.0 01-05-2014 08:21 PM

Took a 991 turbo s for a spin last week. Absolutely awesome car. It's super fast and makes you feel like you can drive it flat out all the time. The gear box is stupid fast. But that same day I got to try a 993tt in mint condition. I would take the 993 every day of the week…………

docfink 01-05-2014 09:35 PM

#winner response of the young, new year!!

:roflmao:

Originally Posted by Terry Adams (Post 11027852)
This is why I buy a new Porsche every 10 years, drive it about 160K miles, wash rinse repeat. Only when a special one comes along.

Evolutionary is not good enough for $180K or so.

At 67 with 2 new hips I am probably on my last one anyway.

Hookers and blow sounds like a better investment if I could get away with it.

Zero911 01-05-2014 11:07 PM

I'm actually the opposite :) I like the interior and am not entirely impressed with the exterior.

Exterior: it's not that I hate it. I actually do like the 991 look. I (just like you) didn't like the front end treatment on the Turbo (for some reason I prefer the Carrera's) and the hips are too horizontal for me. I wish it angled more. The side vent also looks like an after thought to me. It's missing some edginess but perhaps that was intentional on Porsche's part.

Interior: I like it. If you for a second put aside how the Boxster/Cayman got the same interior, then I think the interior's actually pretty good. It's an evolution and with the right set of usual options, I think it's pretty awesome. I think your main issue is that it's not differentiated from the Boxster/Cayman. I agree. But the I don't think the interior in and of itself is cheap or bad in anyway.

Boeing 717 01-06-2014 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 11028066)
Nope it's definitely more special, and, removing money from the equation I would seriously question the legitimacy/rationale behind anyone saying the contrary.

Of course u would.

bill8411 01-06-2014 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Igooz (Post 11028105)
I'd be moving to CA in a minute if it wasn't for the guy(s) with spikey hair! ;)

Hey!

Watch that spikey hair comment!!

:cheers:

phillipj 01-06-2014 02:26 PM

Your opinion is not gospel. Undoubtedly the TT will be faster and it looks cooler from the outside..

If you like the interior that is fine. I think it sucks. Define "Special".

That is truly in the eye of the beholder.

I don't like it and because you do it not grounds for me to change my mind.

I will see how I feel when I drive it.

But you are always right so I anticipate another 1000 word essay from you about what a fool I am for contradicting you..

By the way I have had the Pleasure of driving a McLaren for several days. That is an awesome machine. The full carbon interior is quite beautiful and very comfortable.. That car feels like a "Super car". Although it didn't get a chance to through it around (because it wasn't mine) I was very impressed to say the least. But I'm sure that I'm wrong about liking the Mac as well..

Please Speed guide me because it's apparent I'm a lost soul..:corn:

phillipj 01-06-2014 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Igooz (Post 11028105)

Love it....:biggulp:

phillipj 01-06-2014 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Zero911 (Post 11028484)
I'm actually the opposite :) I like the interior and am not entirely impressed with the exterior.

Exterior: it's not that I hate it. I actually do like the 991 look. I (just like you) didn't like the front end treatment on the Turbo (for some reason I prefer the Carrera's) and the hips are too horizontal for me. I wish it angled more. The side vent also looks like an after thought to me. It's missing some edginess but perhaps that was intentional on Porsche's part.

Interior: I like it. If you for a second put aside how the Boxster/Cayman got the same interior, then I think the interior's actually pretty good. It's an evolution and with the right set of usual options, I think it's pretty awesome. I think your main issue is that it's not differentiated from the Boxster/Cayman. I agree. But the I don't think the interior in and of itself is cheap or bad in anyway.

See now that's what makes a market... I'm looking forward to driving it.. I'm sure I'll be very impressed..

Leo997TT 01-06-2014 05:03 PM

You know how I know you all are all?

Because you all complain about the PDK!!! Come in guys! Let it go! PDK is the future... Porsche can't afford to make anymore manual cars because they are too SLOW and the GTR will eat them alive...

550bryan 01-06-2014 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by 550bryan (Post 11028082)
The rules are certainly different in a price no object world, I'm guessing, I don't live there….

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11030141)
You know how I know you all are all?

Because you all complain about the PDK!!! Come in guys! Let it go! PDK is the future... Porsche can't afford to make anymore manual cars because they are too SLOW and the GTR will eat them alive...

For absolute speed the PDK is a no brainer, but then when do we drive our cars at 10/10ths or 9 or even 8, only on the track I hope. I know the PDK would dominate in the stop light derby too, but I try to avoid that too, as I get older and a little mellower. The 6 speed on the other hand is all about the driving experience and the opportunity to be an active participant in the thrill of piloting a competent set of wheels. The paddle shifters are cool, but it's just not the same as mastering the use of those three pedals and the shifter. I'm an older guy so my perspective may be dying, but I still love a manual.

atcbi5 01-06-2014 07:52 PM

Tell em Leo, for that price I am getting a used Mc Laren MP12, Lambo or an 09 TT as last resort. What did it for me are the 996 look alike intercooler intakes! They messed up.

speed21 01-06-2014 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Boeing 717 (Post 11028651)
Of course u would.

Cute, but I doubt I am the only person who has found the new car better so please accept it is not just me you have the problem with.

Originally Posted by phillipj (Post 11029700)
Your opinion is not gospel Undoubtedly the TT will be faster and it looks cooler from the outside..

If you like the interior that is fine. I think it sucks. Define "Special".

That is truly in the eye of the beholder.

I don't like it and because you do it not grounds for me to change my mind.

I will see how I feel when I drive it.

But you are always right so I anticipate another 1000 word essay from you about what a fool I am for contradicting you..

By the way I have had the Pleasure of driving a McLaren for several days. That is an awesome machine. The full carbon interior is quite beautiful and very comfortable.. That car feels like a "Super car". Although it didn't get a chance to through it around (because it wasn't mine) I was very impressed to say the least. But I'm sure that I'm wrong about liking the Mac as well..

Please Speed guide me because it's apparent I'm a lost soul..:corn:

Sheesh. Hmmm….never said anything about it being gospel but oK well.. as my previous post regarding my own positive experience with the new 991tts has upset you so much Phillip I will delete it for you. I should have read by your savage criticisms you were hardly up for any positive news on the car. Would you like me to apologise for saying I found the car to be as good as it was? Let me know because I honestly hate to see grown men cry (especially at your age).

The only real problem remaining now is all the positive reviews from the numerous expert motoring journos, who own neither car yet have deemed the new 991tt the far superior car over 997tt in every way. Guess they are all just plain wrong too?

Anyway, I hope you come to terms with it and remember that behaving like a sore toe is not going to make the 997tt.1 a better car than the new 991TTS. Just saying, ok?

Btw if you have found the Maclaren so "awesome" then why on earth would you not buy one immediately? I mean at 54 life is far too short and at your dream prices you surely should have enough to buy one at this stage in the game? I mean at this level of car we are talking absolute chicken feed here. So why wouldn't you get it bought immediately and let's hear the review on that! I would much prefer to listen to that rather than the bitching and moaning over the new car that's been going on so far.

aa909 01-06-2014 08:14 PM

Phillip, nice write up. I was at the dealer today and had a chance to see a 991TTS up close for the first time. I have to agree with Phillip, the interior does feel a little "plastic-y" but what was really stunning was the $185K sticker. In CA, with a nearly 10% sales tax, that puts the car at north of $200K drive off!

The 991 Turbo body looks great, I like the width and the car definitely has an overall bad-ass road presence. The few areas where it is lacking in my eyes are as follows and of course all subjective :)

1) Retractable front spoiler may be great for ground clearance but it looks incomplete with the spoiler retracted. It's like the bottom jaw of the car is missing, doesn't look aggressive enough with the spoiler pulled back

2) Side intakes are small. Again here the intakes to my eye don't look aggressive enough, they look like small dimples on the car. Now I'm sure they are 100% perfectly functional per porsche engineers but just too small for the size of the car

3) Rear sits high, and the intercooler outlets are too subtle.

Overall I think the exterior of the car looks great but a little "feminine" (don't get all PC on me now!). I think with a few aftermarket tweaks, e.g. front spoiler, rear valence, a drop etc it would look great

With that said, no way I would trade up from my 997.1 to a $200K 991TTS. I've got my 997.1 set up perfectly for my tastes and given the delta in the trade up costs I would keep my 997.1TT and add a 2008 F430 or Gallardo. Now that would be a garage I would love… how do I get that approved by the wife LOL!!

Coincident 01-06-2014 08:30 PM

Disagreements over aesthetics will result in no winners. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we all see the world in a very subjective manner. I own both the 997.1 TT coupe and 997.2 TTS cab. I love the interior of the TTS, black/ cream interior and seats, all carbon fibre trim plus cream deviated stitching everywhere. Yet a similarly configured 991 interior is to my eyes more attractive. I prefer the look of the center console, dash vents and the chronos stop watch is more elegantly placed in the 991. As for the exterior, I far prefer the TTS. It is more muscular as evidenced by the side intake vents and the slats at the rear fenders. They are bolder and make more of a statement. The TTS looks like it means business. The 991 TTS is too refined and smooth. More elegant, less tough. My opinion and mine alone. And when I purchase a car, that is the only opinion that matters.

Leo997TT 01-06-2014 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by atcbi5 (Post 11030649)
Tell em Leo, for that price I am getting a used Mc Laren MP12, Lambo or an 09 TT as last resort. What did it for me are the 996 look alike intercooler intakes! They messed up.

Lol I be driving a Bugatti with a Salvage title lmao

Leo997TT 01-06-2014 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by 550bryan (Post 11030297)
For absolute speed the PDK is a no brainer, but then when do we drive our cars at 10/10ths or 9 or even 8, only on the track I hope. I know the PDK would dominate in the stop light derby too, but I try to avoid that too, as I get older and a little mellower. The 6 speed on the other hand is all about the driving experience and the opportunity to be an active participant in the thrill of piloting a competent set of wheels. The paddle shifters are cool, but it's just not the same as mastering the use of those three pedals and the shifter. I'm an older guy so my perspective may be dying, but I still love a manual.

Hmmmm you are in the 50's for sure! Lol I'm just JK I know what you mean... I had a lot of fun with my manual cars..... I remember my old 5.0 Mustang... That car was soooo much fun!

We can blame it on the GTR.... Those bastards are making their 100k car beat 300+ k cars....

What about the GT3? I don't hear anything about it.... I find that car very impressive!

I honestly wish I had enough money to buy them all... Lol

If you have problems with your wife and the cars just dump your wife... Get a younger wife... Yeah they are like cars every year they depreciate a lot...

Boeing 717 01-06-2014 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 11030674)
Cute, but I doubt I am the only person who has found the new car better so please accept it is not just me you have the problem with.

Listen cupcake.....my initial response was based solely on the the opinion of the OP. I havent seen the car (in person), Driven the car or smelled the car. I personally don't give a **** if you like it more, find it more amazing or "special". Your really coming across as an arrogant ass. Unlike yourself, I don't have "a problem" with people who have opinions contrary to mine about something as unimportant as a car. But hey, maybe I am illegitimate who knows.

aa909 01-06-2014 08:54 PM

I think we need to defuse the tension here guys. These are expensive toys and everyone has their own perspective. No wrong or right and definitely no absolutes. What's "best" is for the person signing the check to decide.

Sheeeeeeet no one NEEDS a Porsche turbo. So let's enjoy the various opinions and the only absolute truth here is that the GTR and paddle shifters killed all the fun and if you disagree you are obviously missing a chromosome... j/k... Well maybe only a little ;)

Coincident 01-06-2014 09:00 PM

"Something as unimportant as a car". Clearly you jest. Is there anything more important?

Boeing 717 01-06-2014 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Coincident (Post 11030879)
"Something as unimportant as a car". Clearly you jest. Is there anything more important?

Ummm....yea, but only slightly. ;)

speed21 01-06-2014 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Boeing 717 (Post 11030817)
Listen cupcake.....my initial response was based solely on the the opinion of the OP. I havent seen the car (in person), Driven the car or smelled the car. I personally don't give a **** if you like it more, find it more amazing or "special". Your really coming across as an arrogant ass. Unlike yourself, I don't have "a problem" with people who have opinions contrary to mine about something as unimportant as a car. But hey, maybe I am illegitimate who knows.

Someone has their knicker in a bind….

…and arrogant ass? Guess you haven't read your own post yet…..

Let's face it, its not what I've said here at all but merely that I've dared even post here on what a few here think is "their" turf. I think I touched on this point just the other day when I said its no wonder this section is a morgue. Lets face it, dare anyone post here with anything that slightly disagrees with the clan or else! Cupcake? I guess next you will be pulling your gun out? lmfao.:roflmao:

Leo997TT 01-06-2014 09:26 PM

I love this forum! We can be talking about high performance cars and baked goods!!

eurotom 01-06-2014 10:21 PM

Subscribed Cupcakes on a feminine younger wife sound good.

Sat in a new one rearend is like a younger wife love it but not for 200k

atcbi5 01-06-2014 10:56 PM

That front retractable lip, is ridiculous. They probably went to Pontiac for the idea. Maybe this car should be in a youth fair as a bumper car. That's where the front retractable lip might find usage.

Psup4s 01-06-2014 11:40 PM

i test drove 991s and 997s back to back. I honestly liked the 997 better. If the 991 turbo is as unimpressive as it was the S model to me, I would rather spend the money elsewhere. For the sake of the brand, I hope the 991 turbo is a phenomenal car better than previous models

Leo997TT 01-07-2014 12:37 AM

I'm pretty sure we all are gonna like the 991TT when it depreciate a littler and we can afford to buy it! Lmao

speed21 01-07-2014 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11031529)
I'm pretty sure we all are gonna like the 991TT when it depreciate a littler and we can afford to buy it! Lmao

Ouch. LOL! something tells me you hit the nail squarely on the head with that one Leo!! Wow I can only just imagine the response I would have got If i'd have said that one Lmao!!! Ooooh boy looking into my crystal ball I can see a bad hair day, some tanties, along with a few water pistols being drawn now!!

fskof 01-07-2014 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11030810)
I honestly wish I had enough money to buy them all... Lol

If you have problems with your wife and the cars just dump your wife... Get a younger wife... Yeah they are like cars every year they depreciate a lot...

Lol.... so true.... :cheers:

Psup4s 01-07-2014 01:19 AM

philpj, let us know how the test drive goes.

Leo997TT 01-07-2014 01:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 11031588)
Ouch. LOL! something tells me you hit the nail squarely on the head with that one Leo!! Wow I can only just imagine the response I would have got If i'd have said that one Lmao!!! Ooooh boy looking into my crystal ball I can see a bad hair day, some tanties, along with a few water pistols being drawn now!!

I'm including myself in the list!!! I can't afford that car... I wish I have billions!! I will buy every sport car out there!!! Lol I be talking trash in every forum!! Lol

I think Porsche always build great cars and I'm pretty sure they put all their energy in the 991TT... I like the 991TT and I can't wait to see the 991 GT2 RS

Last week I was looking to trade my car for a 2014 Viper!! The price was 110k! I didn't pull the trigger because in the end I like my car way better.... This week the car is 10k cheaper.... Crazy ehh? Those Vipers are pretty sweet but I can't take one step down... From Lambo to SRT Viper.... It's just like trading a 997TT for a Corvette :-/

speed21 01-07-2014 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by fskof (Post 11031634)
Lol.... so true.... :cheers:

Gotta love Leo's honesty and open candour…..

And yep so true!!! :thumbup::cheers:

Originally Posted by Psup4s (Post 11031640)

Lol do we really need to wait for an outcome?

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11031660)
I'm including myself in the list!!! I can't afford that car... I wish I have billions!! I will buy every sport car out there!!! Lol I be talking trash in every forum!! Lol

But you are too honest Leo. Hey btw I think the morgue is seeing some activity. Probably not pleasing for some....:roflmao:

PS. If i ever win lotto you and I can go on a super car shopping spree. They will all be good. Promise….and no cheap nasty 991TTS ok? LMAO!

fskof 01-07-2014 01:43 AM

That viper looks great but you are right, I would not sell the Lambo for it.... but to add it to a collection...now thats a different story

speed21 01-07-2014 01:48 AM

T'is a hot looking car that viper. I hope the interior is up to scratch.

Leo997TT 01-07-2014 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 11031683)
T'is a hot looking car that viper. I hope the interior is up to scratch.

Their seats are from the same company that make the Ferrari seats... The interior it's nice for sure... A lot if technology and it has electronic launch control... It's pretty fat but it has problems putting the 640HP in the ground... It needs to be AWD and PDK

Leo997TT 01-07-2014 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 11031673)
PS. If i ever win lotto you and I can go on a super car shopping spree. They will all be good. Promise….and no cheap nasty 991TTS ok? LMAO!

Holly cow!!! Please tell me you are playing the lotto everyday!

-Aventador in black
-458 in black
-Porsche 991TTS in black
-2011 Gallardo SL in black

That's my wish list!

I'm a car guy for sure! All I do is think about cars 24x7 if I had a car collection I think the 991 TTS is a must to have it... I mean Porches & Ferraris are the Pioneer sport cars....

I can't believe some people will spend 3 millions in 1 car... Bugatti.... I can buy all my dream cars with 50% of that!!! And send my cars to Vividracing with the other 50% to make them true high performance cars!!! Lmao

Leo997TT 01-07-2014 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by fskof (Post 11031677)
That viper looks great but you are right, I would not sell the Lambo for it.... but to add it to a collection...now thats a different story

I will give you my Lambo when I get my first car from Paul!

speed21 01-07-2014 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11031712)
Their seats are from the same company that make the Ferrari seats... The interior it's nice for sure... A lot if technology and it has electronic launch control... It's pretty fat but it has problems putting the 640HP in the ground... It needs to be AWD and PDK

OK phew just as well. So long as they are not made by Porsche I'm sure they will be fine. Nothing worse than sitting on cheap plastic:rolleyes:
I better add that car to my list now.

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11031730)
Holly cow!!! Please tell me you are playing the lotto everyday!

-Aventador in black
-458 in black
-Porsche 991TTS in black
-2011 Gallardo SL in black

That's my wish list!

I'm a car guy for sure! All I do is think about cars 24x7 if I had a car collection I think the 991 TTS is a must to have it... I mean Porches & Ferraris are the Pioneer sport cars....

I can't believe some people will spend 3 millions in 1 car... Bugatti.... I can buy all my dream cars with 50% of that!!! And send my cars to Vividracing with the other 50% to make them true high performance cars!!! Lmao

Sorry Leo. I gotta be honest and say that I can't afford to play everyday or I will never be able to afford my next car and that may mean I will have to convince myself (and everyone else silly enough to believe me) that my 997tt.1 is better than everything else newer that comes out for a long long time, and I just hate having a lend of myself..

And like yourself I am a car guy at heart and would love to have more than one super in the stable but at our prices unless I win lotto that aint gonna happen. Now, if i was in the states then that would be an entirely different story as i'd be good for 3 right now and still be "liven the dream"!. But it i$ as you say, if you have it, criticisms vanish and cars materialise IYKWIM;). PS. Vivid would also be off the list too.

Leo997TT 01-07-2014 02:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Paul,

I never really though about the MP4 looking just like the lotus but it really does lol... To be honest with you guys I never really had it for the McLaren MP4... I only like the F1 and the P1!!! I think the MP4 it's too cheap for me lol ( just JK)

I really like the 458 & the 991TTS better than the MP4... It has more spirit... The MP4 is the British GTR....

Leo997TT 01-07-2014 02:57 AM

They should open a section in this forum call "the dreamers pillow" and I'm down to be a moderator there :-)

speed21 01-07-2014 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11031749)
Paul,

I never really though about the MP4 looking just like the lotus but it really does lol... To be honest with you guys I never really had it for the McLaren MP4... I only like the F1 and the P1!!! I think the MP4 it's too cheap for me lol ( just JK)

I really like the 458 & the 991TTS better than the MP4... It has more spirit... The MP4 is the British GTR....

….well as I said in my op here that it looked much like an overgrown elise to me, or from japanese ilk, and no offence to OP who evidently got all upset over my valid comments (since deleted due to OP's upset) but if the cap fits wear it, and performance aside the general physicality is unconvincing as an exotic to me vs say a 458 or Lambo. I found on first impressions you get a wow factor but on each follow up it becomes less and less attractive. The interior really is utilitarian, and whilst there is nothing wrong with that if track or the odd thrill is all you are seeking, but as a daily drive it really doesn't compete with a 991tts (imho of course). The 458 on the other hand is a different story altogether…..far better proposition than mp4 (to me) and most that have reviewed the two have walked away concluding the F car has it where it counts notwithstanding mp4's performance capability.

But not to get off topic too much or there will be further outrage…….so back to that cheap plastic 991tt disaster which is best used on a dodgem car circuit :crying:

Leo997TT 01-07-2014 03:13 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by aa909 (Post 11030855)
the only absolute truth here is that the GTR and paddle shifters killed all the fun and if you disagree you are obviously missing a chromosome... j/k... Well maybe only a little ;)

+1!!! But this older guys don't want to see it.... Lol

2.8 from 0 to 60 is just ridiculous for a 100k car but I dont think Lamborghini cares much about it because the new Lamborghini Huracan is not really much faster than the Gallardo... 600HP from 0 to 60 in 3.7.... My corvette was better than that....

I really think eventually I will get another American Muscle car.... They are freaking sexy....

Leo997TT 01-07-2014 03:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cheers

speed21 01-07-2014 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11031755)
They should open a section in this forum call "the dreamers pillow" and I'm down to be a moderator there :-)

LOL I think they have one already ;)

PS. Forgot to mention you were doing a great job moderating. You have my vote.

atcbi5 01-07-2014 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11031774)
Cheers

Yo dawg what about the Prius bra. I have one, you wanna fight?

atcbi5 01-07-2014 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11031774)
Cheers

Yo dawg what about the Prius brah. I have one, you wanna fight?:icon107:

aa909 01-07-2014 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 11031739)
OK phew just as well. So long as they are not made by Porsche I'm sure they will be fine. Nothing worse than sitting on cheap plastic:rolleyes:
I better add that car to my list now.

Sorry Leo. I gotta be honest and say that I can't afford to play everyday or I will never be able to afford my next car and that may mean I will have to convince myself (and everyone else silly enough to believe me) that my 997tt.1 is better than everything else newer that comes out for a long long time, and I just hate having a lend of myself..

And like yourself I am a car guy at heart and would love to have more than one super in the stable but at our prices unless I win lotto that aint gonna happen. Now, if i was in the states then that would be an entirely different story as i'd be good for 3 right now and still be "liven the dream"!. But it i$ as you say, if you have it, criticisms vanish and cars materialise IYKWIM;). PS. Vivid would also be off the list too.

Paul you're in Australia right? So why are Porsches et al so expensive? Does the government just have a tax-the-rich mentality or is there some other reason for the huge premiums you pay? What is the local price of the new 991TTS you have your eye on? It just Would make me sick to pay 2X-3X the avg global price.

Runner 01-07-2014 10:22 AM

Agree!

Igooz 01-07-2014 10:25 AM

^Import tax?

aa909 01-07-2014 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Igooz (Post 11032110)
^Import tax?

so soak-the-rich it is. How on earth do they justify a 200% import tax? I personally wouldn't pay that on principle! disgusting

550bryan 01-07-2014 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Psup4s (Post 11031640)

What test drive?

Psup4s 01-07-2014 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by 550bryan (Post 11032382)
What test drive?

OP mentioned he will be test driving 991turbo. I cant afford one but im interested in hearing people impressions

phillipj 01-07-2014 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 11031588)

ass·hole noun \ˈas-ˌ(h)ōl\

Definition of ASSHOLE

usually vulgar : anus
a usually vulgar : a stupid, incompetent, or detestable person
b usually vulgar : the worst place —used in phrases like asshole of the world
See asshole defined for English-language learners »
First Known Use of ASSHOLE

Also known as "brave man with a keyboard".

14th century
Browse

Next Word in the Dictionary: assi
Previous Word in the Dictionary: asshead
All Words Near: asshole
Seen & Heard

phillipj 01-07-2014 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by 550bryan (Post 11032382)
What test drive?

Yes Somehow my original post got lost in this..

I will drive it later this week..

It's really good to hear everyone's opinion on this car..And yes for most of us I guess the price of the 991 TT is the killer.

As for Leo's observation about Porsche going all PDK having to compete with the GTR I believe he is spot on. I guess he's right about guessing everyone's ages too!

Also I believe that as years go by younger people will have no idea why anyone would have wanted a manual transmission. It will seem to them like a "flip phone"..

I really don't have an issue with the PDK. Yes it would be great if they offered a manual but no other exotic car manufacturer does either..

As for muscle cars yes they are awesome. But I'm afraid that I was bitten by the exotic foreign car bug long ago.. No going back for me.

I also agree The McLaren is not the best looking car in the world.. But I was super impressed by my time in the car. The one I drove was wrapped in the Gulf Racing colors and it really looked amazing. And of course the reason I didn't buy one is because I cannot afford a $225K car. I have no problem saying that!

It will be interesting to see how sales for the new TT go.. I may be surprised and they will fly out of the showrooms at $180k..

I like Leo and Speed (and I'm sure most of us) would by every car we fancied if we could afford it..

I soon as I drive the TT I will report back..

Metal Guru 01-07-2014 03:12 PM

+1 on all the comments about waiting for the 991TT & TTS to depreciate before acquiring one. I'd certainly be interested once used values get a little more realistic (assuming they ever do).
A comment about the 991TT interior: I wished Porsche had kept more old 911 DNA in the interiors of the 997 and up cars. I'm kind of old school about interiors and like my performance car interiors to be more functional than luxurious. Of course, I think the 993 interior is over the top so take that with a grain of salt :). The exterior of the car is a step up from the 997, IMO, cleaner and more aggressive looking. I totally agree with the guy who said the quarter panels needed more angle to them, but overall I think it's a great look.
I'm looking forward to driving one, for sure.

Augustomf 01-07-2014 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by phillipj (Post 11027510)
Here are my impressions..

I was so excited to get in it..

When I sat in the car one word came to mind. "Cheap".. The seats are awful and look and feel cheap..It even smells cheap. I could have been sitting in a Boxster, Cayman or 991 Carrera and I wouldn't have known the difference. I'm not sure about seat options on the 991 but these were horrible..

The steering wheel is bland..The PCM is bland..It's like a Mini Van.. Nothing in the car feels like an exotic sports car.. It feels like a Lexus. I was so underwhelmed.

The interior does not feel like a sports car costing $170k.. In my opinion the seats and functional design in the 997 interior are far superior. The center console in the 991 gets in the way. Very much like in an Aston.. It just feels "wrong".

Really? I get the interior is the same in all P-cars, but cheap? My last P-Car was a 993 with full leather, it was nice, but comparing to the 991 and any new car it car very simple, not bad, just simple.

My 991 has great seats, ventilated and heated, the ventilation part is just great specially in Florida. The PCM location and layout beats the 997 and 996 in any ergonomics context, the 993 just did not have something similar.

I agree that a Ferrari, Lambo and Mclaren interior is much nicer, but look at the price point of a 458 Italia.

When I seat in the 991 I feel like in a cocoon, same feeling you get on a Ferrari or Lambo with the high center console, something you did not have on any previous 911, so that for me was an evolution for Porsche.

I do not share your views on the interior of the 991, but then again everyone has their own opinions, and I wanted to share mine to bring a little perspective.

550bryan 01-07-2014 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by phillipj (Post 11032765)
Yes Somehow my original post got lost in this..

I will drive it later this week..

It's really good to hear everyone's opinion on this car..And yes for most of us I guess the price of the 991 TT is the killer.

As for Leo's observation about Porsche going all PDK having to compete with the GTR I believe he is spot on. I guess he's right about guessing everyone's ages too!

Also I believe that as years go by younger people will have no idea why anyone would have wanted a manual transmission. It will seem to them like a "flip phone"..

I really don't have an issue with the PDK. Yes it would be great if they offered a manual but no other exotic car manufacturer does either..

As for muscle cars yes they are awesome. But I'm afraid that I was bitten by the exotic foreign car bug long ago.. No going back for me.

I also agree The McLaren is not the best looking car in the world.. But I was super impressed by my time in the car. The one I drove was wrapped in the Gulf Racing colors and it really looked amazing. And of course the reason I didn't buy one is because I cannot afford a $225K car. I have no problem saying that!

It will be interesting to see how sales for the new TT go.. I may be surprised and they will fly out of the showrooms at $180k..

I like Leo and Speed (and I'm sure most of us) would by every car we fancied if we could afford it..

I soon as I drive the TT I will report back..

Phillip, Just kidding with the test drive quote, a comment on how the thread had lost it's way, I'm looking forward to your test drive observations as well…...

tcsracing1 01-07-2014 04:22 PM

The new 991 Turbo is expensive. I get that. But it is 2014, so life is such. Everything is getting expensive.

I not sure why some people confuse the 991TT with an exotic however? Is it the price point perhaps?
It is afterall a 4 seat grand touring coupe.
The Gallardo, MP12 and 458 are 2 seat exotic traffic stoppers. New or used. Different market IMO.

The 991 Turbo is just a Carrera 4 with wider hips and a couple of turbos/plumbing installed. Priced accordingly based on those additions of course.
I do not view it as being a stand alone model compared the the rest of the 991 line up. With options like full leather,seats etc you can have it fairly luxurious if you desire.

If i were in the market for such vehicle specifications and had the money, it would be bought regardless of depreciation futures. New with warranty. Sign me up. Their target market is as such.

Personally I am not comfortable with the new console theme or all the damn buttons in the 991, but I feel the overall performance would make one forget about those characteristics in time…

I really enjoy the shorter wheel based and size of the 997 series. In time i wonder if it will be more/less desireable then the 991?
A 2013 997.2 TTS is almost the same performance as the 991TTS as they share the same powertrain if that is worth anything...

Is the wider, longer, rear wheel steering 991 really worth trading up regardless of price difference?
New owners have said yes.

phillipj 01-07-2014 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Augustomf (Post 11032842)
Really? I get the interior is the same in all P-cars, but cheap? My last P-Car was a 993 with full leather, it was nice, but comparing to the 991 and any new car it car very simple, not bad, just simple.

My 991 has great seats, ventilated and heated, the ventilation part is just great specially in Florida. The PCM location and layout beats the 997 and 996 in any ergonomics context, the 993 just did not have something similar.

I agree that a Ferrari, Lambo and Mclaren interior is much nicer, but look at the price point of a 458 Italia.

When I seat in the 991 I feel like in a cocoon, same feeling you get on a Ferrari or Lambo with the high center console, something you did not have on any previous 911, so that for me was an evolution for Porsche.

I do not share your views on the interior of the 991, but then again everyone has their own opinions, and I wanted to share mine to bring a little perspective.

That's one of the reasons I wrote my views.. I wanted to hear what others thought. Maybe it's just me. Lots of people like it. It's good to get your real life impressions of the 991..

I guess I just had hoped for more an evolution of the 911. To it just feels like they plugged in the Panamera. To some I guess it is the right evolution... I know the ventilated seats are great. I just don't like the way the look and feel..

To me it just feels wrong.. And that is just me..

phillipj 01-07-2014 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by tcsracing1 (Post 11033024)
The new 991 Turbo is expensive. I get that. But it is 2014, so life is such. Everything is getting expensive.

I not sure why some people confuse the 991TT with an exotic however? Is it the price point perhaps?
It is afterall a 4 seat grand touring coupe.
The Gallardo, MP12 and 458 are 2 seat exotic traffic stoppers. New or used. Different market IMO.

The 991 Turbo is just a Carrera 4 with wider hips and a couple of turbos/plumbing installed. Priced accordingly based on those additions of course.
I do not view it as being a stand alone model compared the the rest of the 991 line up. With options like full leather,seats etc you can have it fairly luxurious if you desire.

If i were in the market for such vehicle specifications and had the money, it would be bought regardless of depreciation futures. New with warranty. Sign me up. Their target market is as such.

Personally I am not comfortable with the new console theme or all the damn buttons in the 991, but I feel the overall performance would make one forget about those characteristics in time…

I really enjoy the shorter wheel based and size of the 997 series. In time i wonder if it will be more/less desireable then the 991?
A 2013 997.2 TTS is almost the same performance as the 991TTS as they share the same powertrain if that is worth anything...

Is the wider, longer, rear wheel steering 991 really worth trading up regardless of price difference?
New owners have said yes.

Valid points. I guess time will tell.. Maybe I will be in love with the 991 after I drive it!

Coincident 01-07-2014 05:26 PM

As for 911 interiors, they only became modern and aesthetically pleasing with the 997. The 993 is about as utilitarian as it gets. The steering wheel belongs in a Buick. Truly awful. Could not look or feel less sporty.

The 996 was a slight improvement. A little more modern and upscale but still plasticky and cheap compared to other competitors. Steering wheel still not sporty or exciting and unbelievably used in the CGT. The 997 finally brought Porsche into the new era. Finally a sporty steering wheel with great feel. Still nowhere near Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati or Jag but nice enough. To me the 991 interior has finally entered the new Millenium. Sport Chronos wart now nicely integrated into the dash, better looking vents, center console is conveniently placed and the overall appearance befitting an expensive, upscale vehicle. Clearly others feel differently as virtually with everything Porsche but I felt like offering my 2 cents.

Augustomf 01-07-2014 05:58 PM

:surr:

Originally Posted by Coincident (Post 11033227)
As for 911 interiors, they only became modern and aesthetically pleasing with the 997. The 993 is about as utilitarian as it gets. The steering wheel belongs in a Buick. Truly awful. Could not look or feel less sporty.

The 996 was a slight improvement. A little more modern and upscale but still plasticky and cheap compared to other competitors. Steering wheel still not sporty or exciting and unbelievably used in the CGT. The 997 finally brought Porsche into the new era. Finally a sporty steering wheel with great feel. Still nowhere near Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati or Jag but nice enough. To me the 991 interior has finally entered the new Millenium. Sport Chronos wart now nicely integrated into the dash, better looking vents, center console is conveniently placed and the overall appearance befitting an expensive, upscale vehicle. Clearly others feel differently as virtually with everything Porsche but I felt like offering my 2 cents.

Agree 100%,

And I forgot to mention on my last post, if someone feels that the standard interior is still not up to the level they want they can always pay a little more and get the full leather interior, different stitching, alcantara steering wheel etc.

This is what is nice about Porsche, you can get a base Carrera, and enjoy the car or you can go out and get a fully optioned car TT car.

You go to a Ferrari and you get a fully optioned 458 Italia and that's it. Super options cost you even more, and if you want to take things out than it is called a Stradalle and cost you more. (Porsche does that with RS also)

James88 01-07-2014 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by aa909 (Post 11032071)
Paul you're in Australia right? So why are Porsches et al so expensive? Does the government just have a tax-the-rich mentality or is there some other reason for the huge premiums you pay? What is the local price of the new 991TTS you have your eye on? It just Would make me sick to pay 2X-3X the avg global price.

Can I step in with pricing.

991 TT Over 400k
991 TTS Over 450K

Australian Dollar $0.89 to the USA $1.00

They are really bending us over here in Oz..

phillipj 01-07-2014 06:42 PM

Okay.. I have changed my mind.. I will go down to the dealer, give them my car and cut them a check for $120k.. I'm sure my wife will understand. But that will be years after my death..:cheers:

phillipj 01-07-2014 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by James88 (Post 11033429)

991 TT Over 400k
991 TTS Over 450K

Ouch....That is just wrong...I don't even want to know what a 458 costs..

aa909 01-07-2014 06:55 PM

991 TT Over 400k
991 TTS Over 450K

WOW!! makes no sense. Modest tariffs to protect domestic businesses are par for the course and make economic sense, but a 150% tax is beyond comprehension. It's basically an F U to the rich guy

James88 01-07-2014 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by aa909 (Post 11033471)
WOW!! makes no sense. Modest tariffs to protect domestic businesses are par for the course and make economic sense, but a 150% tax is beyond comprehension. It's basically an F U to the rich guy

Its not just tax, its Porsche Australia as well who push the pricing up.

Porsche 25th 01-07-2014 08:30 PM

Leo gets it!!!!
I traded my '09 997tt on a '14 C4S about two weeks ago. Thus far, I love everything about the new car. 5 years bring a lot of advances in all areas of the car, both luxury and performance. Not to take anything away from the TT, but I will drive the new one much more.
Back to Leo's point; Why didn't I buy a 991TT? Because I'm waiting on one of you fine gents to take the first depreciation drop for me!

One more thought: Affordability has been mentioned several times in this thread. In many instances, I believe it's not about being able to afford it.It is actually about being able to justify it.

Leo997TT 01-07-2014 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by phillipj (Post 11033435)
Okay.. I have changed my mind.. I will go down to the dealer, give them my car and cut them a check for $120k.. I'm sure my wife will understand. But that will be years after my death..:cheers:

Phillip why you don't try to give them you car+ $120+ your wife!!! I hear the new 991TTS comes with HOOKUPLAUNCH !!!!

Leo997TT 01-07-2014 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by atcbi5 (Post 11031960)
Yo dawg what about the Prius brah. I have one, you wanna fight?:icon107:

Lmao lol!!! I have a smart!!!! I'm making 60 miles per gallon!!! Your planet killer!!!

Leo997TT 01-07-2014 10:55 PM

Yes Somehow my original post got lost in this.. I will drive it later this week.. It's really good to hear everyone's opinion on this car..And yes for most of us I guess the price of the 991 TT is the killer. As for Leo's observation about Porsche going all PDK having to compete with the GTR I believe he is spot on. I guess he's right about guessing everyone's ages too! Also I believe that as years go by younger people will have no idea why anyone would have wanted a manual transmission. It will seem to them like a "flip phone".. I really don't have an issue with the PDK. Yes it would be great if they offered a manual but no other exotic car manufacturer does either.. As for muscle cars yes they are awesome. But I'm afraid that I was bitten by the exotic foreign car bug long ago.. No going back for me. I also agree The McLaren is not the best looking car in the world.. But I was super impressed by my time in the car. The one I drove was wrapped in the Gulf Racing colors and it really looked amazing. And of course the reason I didn't buy one is because I cannot afford a $225K car. I have no problem saying that! It will be interesting to see how sales for the new TT go.. I may be surprised and they will fly out of the showrooms at $180k.. I like Leo and Speed (and I'm sure most of us) would by every car we fancied if we could afford it.. I soon as I drive the TT I will report back..

Phillip!

Get a muscles car, shave your head! And get a tattoo in your neck MS13!!! I promise you nobody will ever mess with you again!! Lmao but you probably gonna end up living in Isla Mujeres for life lmao... (I was there last year with my gf! That was when we just stated dating... REMENBER when I used to be happy before I met her!!! Lmao

Leo997TT 01-07-2014 10:56 PM

I can wait until we start talking about what's the best exhaust for the 991TTS!!! Lmao

Psup4s 01-07-2014 11:01 PM

Anyone know what's the best sounding aftermarket exhaust for a prius? im picking one up next week LMAO

fskof 01-08-2014 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11034093)
I can wait until we start talking about what's the best exhaust for the 991TTS!!! Lmao

Lol.... and how many people will get banned for that thread?

eurotom 01-08-2014 12:23 AM

Phillip good right up. I agree with most of what was said I had a chance to analyze the car inside and out minus the drive. I'd love it if I had three pedals and please guys lets not start another PDK argument. Chill out

Paul chill out the forum is not ganging up on you but when you continue poking at people can get well..... Pissed off. Sucks about Aussie pricing move to CA

Leo's back and talking **** on both forums cool

There are several new people on the forum and part of the reason you don't see too much traffic on here is because of assholes like us.

Love

Tom

Leo997TT 01-08-2014 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Psup4s (Post 11034104)
Anyone know what's the best sounding aftermarket exhaust for a prius? im picking one up next week LMAO

Lol Agency Power!

fskof 01-08-2014 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11034076)
Lmao lol!!! I have a smart!!!! I'm making 60 miles per gallon!!! Your planet killer!!!

I know of a guy that has a yellow Lambo Gallardo and he also drives a smart car.

Leo997TT 01-08-2014 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by fskof (Post 11034283)
I know of a guy that has a yellow Lambo Gallardo and he also drives a smart car.

But!!!! He is not 6'2 tall 280 pounds! So he doesn't look unbelievable ridiculous like I do lmao...

Leo997TT 01-08-2014 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by eurotom (Post 11034281)
Leo's back and talking **** on both forums cool There are several new people on the forum and part of the reason you don't see too much traffic on here is because of assholes like us. Love Tom

Lmao!!!!! Priceless!!!

Porsches are fun cars to drive! But the best part of it is when you sign up to a Porsche forum!!!

Leo997TT 01-08-2014 12:33 AM

This is all Igooz fault!!! He is the biggest troll in the forums!

Just Jk Igooz is a person that I respect a lot! A good friend! But he still doesn't like the PDK :-/

Igooz 01-08-2014 12:43 AM

^How did I get in the middle of this Leo?! :)

fskof 01-08-2014 12:45 AM

:corn: lmao....

Leo997TT 01-08-2014 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Igooz (Post 11034335)
^How did I get in the middle of this Leo?! :)

Lol I was just checking if you were online :-)

Igooz 01-08-2014 12:54 AM

Is your Smart a Brabus Smart?

Leo997TT 01-08-2014 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Igooz (Post 11034360)
Is your Smart a Brabus Smart?

Lol no it's just a regular smart... The company gave it to me for work....

Leo997TT 01-08-2014 01:07 AM

Tomorrow I'm gonna go to the Porsche dealer 3 blocks away from my house to take a real good look of the 991TTS I promise ya'll I will be very honest with my opinion

fskof 01-08-2014 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11034383)
Tomorrow I'm gonna go to the Porsche dealer 3 blocks away from my house to take a real good look of the 991TTS I promise ya'll I will be very honest with my opinion

Cant wait for the review :cheers:

Leo997TT 01-08-2014 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by fskof (Post 11034412)
Cant wait for the review :cheers:

You should do that same so we have more opinions in here!

speed21 01-08-2014 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by atcbi5 (Post 11031956)
Yo dawg what about the Prius bra. I have one, you wanna fight?

Prius and supercars is like trying to mix oil with water.

http://jalopnik.com/5865117/how-the-...crash-happened

Originally Posted by aa909 (Post 11032071)
Would make me sick to pay 2X-3X the avg global price.

I have covered this one before Art. We aren't too happy about it but it's either pay up or drive a Prius.

Originally Posted by aa909 (Post 11032116)
so soak-the-rich it is. How on earth do they justify a 200% import tax? I personally wouldn't pay that on principle! disgusting

Principles unfortunately don't cut it here Art….sorry. If only you could get all the buyers here to boycott then something would eventually give but there will always a handful of bunnies prepared to que and cough up without any form of resistance. Then you have the Cayenne and now Macan which will rescue any buyer drop off on the high end stock. It's a game that can't be won so some of us just bite the bullet and make a decision. It can be ugly especially on change up….gulp. Edit: Btw if 220K for a TTS doesn't excite you maybe 500K will at 89c to usd. That's the poke for one with a roof, vented seats and a few little extras.

Originally Posted by phillipj (Post 11032706)
ass·hole noun \ˈas-ˌ(h)ōl\

Definition of ASSHOLE

usually vulgar : anus
a usually vulgar : a stupid, incompetent, or detestable person
b usually vulgar : the worst place —used in phrases like asshole of the world
See asshole defined for English-language learners »
First Known Use of ASSHOLE

Also known as "brave man with a keyboard".

14th century
Browse

Next Word in the Dictionary: assi
Previous Word in the Dictionary: asshead
All Words Near: asshole
Seen & Heard

Hmm…off topic but such a fascinating insight. assholes… is it a fetish? I am told there is a doc here that deals with them for a living if you need any further examination.

And yes for most of us I guess the price of the 991 TT is the killer.
...the reason I didn't buy one is because I cannot afford a $225K car. I have no problem saying that!

As a heads up, honesty can cut out a lot of the unecessary BS for sure. A bit more of it will go a long way..

….and 991TTS's at 180K. Yum. I wish. They would go out like pink cupcakes at a fair here. It'd be like I'll take 2 or 3 of those thank you sir. Gotta say at those prices just count your blessings folks. More buying less BS, less complaining and more enjoying I say! Don't waste it fellas.

Originally Posted by Coincident (Post 11033227)
To me the 991 interior has finally entered the new Millenium. Sport Chronos wart now nicely integrated into the dash, better looking vents, center console is conveniently placed and the overall appearance befitting an expensive, upscale vehicle.

+1. 991 delivered on many of the previous complaints over 997's interior yet it will always go without saying you will always have some that deem it not good enough. The up side is the improvements keep coming in the newer models!

Originally Posted by fskof (Post 11034263)
Lol.... and how many people will get banned for that thread?

They actually missed me on the last thread but took me out on a reply to a PM to one of their pets. Lesson learnt…never oblige a reply to any PMs from disgruntled pets. No rules about it in their charter either but dems the boss. Extremely cowardly behaviour from the pet I thought but hey that's 6 pets for ya….so much for private banter ha! If things don't go their way just take their behind the scenes private issues to their pal mod. Gutless. Could be no other better word for it really.

Originally Posted by eurotom (Post 11034281)
the forum is not ganging up on you but when you continue poking at people can get well..... Pissed off. There are several new people on the forum and part of the reason you don't see too much traffic on here is because of assholes like us. Love Tom

Your words not mine Tom and I don't poke without provocation….blind freddy could see your 2 pals started any agro, insults and childish name calling is their MO. Fact is the response to my initial post on the thread was completely unwarranted…..yet now they got a return serve it seems they only like dishing out the smart ass remarks but don't like anything coming back. Typical. Somethings don't change. But par for the course i say. On with the show!

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11034383)

I know ya will! Look forward to it. I gave mine already: The new TTS is awesome!

Augustomf 01-08-2014 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Psup4s (Post 11034104)

A Boombox with the cd of a 991 Sport Exhaust, crank it up and use some of that battery!!

atcbi5 01-08-2014 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11034076)

Run for pinks brah, I got 600 volts under the hood. What you got dawg a motto cycle engine. Name place, street name, we fighting brah! Bringing my back up 997tt with "real leather" not that 991 synthetic crap.

phillipj 01-08-2014 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11034282)
Lol Agency Power!

You're on a roll brother.. Yeah.. I agree.. Agency Power is best... Those nice folks at Vivid only sell the best!

Oh and one more thing frustrating about the 991 (Carrera or turbo) The sealed engine compartment. Porsche said "Hey wait a minute.. Too many People are doing their own maintenance. We'll put a stop to that!"

You cant even get to the airbox unless you go from underneath! Maybe they have locked the Pollen filter too so it has to be replaced "by a trained technician"..

fskof 01-08-2014 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11034442)
You should do that same so we have more opinions in here!

I would if it wasnt -12 with the wind at -38 :crying:

phillipj 01-08-2014 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by fskof (Post 11035575)
I would if it wasnt -12 with the wind at -38 :crying:

Holy crap.. It's 75 degrees here and I have shorts and sandals on :icon107:

phillipj 01-08-2014 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by atcbi5 (Post 11035459)
Run for pinks brah, I got 600 volts under the hood. What you got dawg a motto cycle engine. Name place, street name, we fighting brah! Bringing my back up 997tt with "real leather" not that 991 synthetic crap.

That is so awesome I have no words..:roflmao:

Augustomf 01-08-2014 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by phillipj (Post 11035541)
You're on a roll brother.. Yeah.. I agree.. Agency Power is best... Those nice folks at Vivid only sell the best!

Oh and one more thing frustrating about the 991 (Carrera or turbo) The sealed engine compartment. Porsche said "Hey wait a minute.. Too many People are doing their own maintenance. We'll put a stop to that!"

You cant even get to the airbox unless you go from underneath! Maybe they have locked the Pollen filter too so it has to be replaced "by a trained technician"..

But even on the 993 all you did from above was change one of the oil filters, the air filter and distributors caps and rotors. the rest had to be done from underneath . Getting that second oil filter was a Pita, the spark plugs had to remove the exhaust, and even then one of them was a real pain. Even the rear deck struts were a pain to replace, specially the left one.

First major maintenance on the 991 is @40k miles, until then only oil every 5k miles, every 10k at the dealer, the other ones at home, one filter only.

phillipj 01-08-2014 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Augustomf (Post 11035813)
But even on the 993 all you did from above was change one of the oil filters, the air filter and distributors caps and rotors. the rest had to be done from underneath . Getting that second oil filter was a Pita, the spark plugs had to remove the exhaust, and even then one of them was a real pain. Even the rear deck struts were a pain to replace, specially the left one.

First major maintenance on the 991 is @40k miles, until then only oil every 5k miles, every 10k at the dealer, the other ones at home, one filter only.

Thanks for the info. I'm obviously ignorant of the 993 and older Porsches. Thanks for educating me!

I guess I'm just spoiled because the 996 and 997 were (for the most part) very easy to work on..

Leo997TT 01-08-2014 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by atcbi5 (Post 11035459)

Omfg!!!! Did you just say real leather?????????? You are supporting companies to kill animals for the skin!!! YOU ARE KILLING THE PLANET!!! :-(::::

My smart car it's solar energy!!!

vincentdds 01-08-2014 08:31 PM

The 991TTs is the most hideous looking $200K car on the market. There's nothing special about it and it will never sell as many as the 997TT. But I will be glad to pick one up for half the price in a few year.:burnout:

Coincident 01-08-2014 09:22 PM

991 TT " the most hideous looking" . Perhaps a tad overstating. While I agree that the 997 TT is aesthetically more appealing, the 991 is hardly ugly. I still wouldn't throw it out of my garage.However, as has been stated numerous times, we all see the world through different eyes.

vincentdds 01-08-2014 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Coincident (Post 11036636)
991 TT " the most hideous looking" . Perhaps a tad overstating. While I agree that the 997 TT is aesthetically more appealing, the 991 is hardly ugly. I still wouldn't throw it out of my garage.However, as has been stated numerous times, we all see the world through different eyes.

I said hideous looking for a $200K car.
It's better looking at $150K.

aa909 01-08-2014 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by vincentdds (Post 11036725)
I said hideous looking for a $200K car.
It's better looking at $150K.

and it's drop dead gorgeous at $85K after 3-4 years and 20K miles LMAO!!!

speed21 01-09-2014 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by aa909 (Post 11036906)
and it's drop dead gorgeous at $85K after 3-4 years and 20K miles LMAO!!!

Agree new cars often draw negative criticism particularly from owners of outgoing models yet once the price finally comes within reach the same car suddenly morphs into a supermodel and the plastic turns into leather again…

aa909 01-09-2014 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 11037054)
Agree new cars often draw negative criticism particularly from owners of outgoing models yet once the price finally comes within reach the same car suddenly morphs into a supermodel and the plastic turns into leather again…

Not necessarily. The F458 is insanely gorgeous as is the Aventador and I'd happily pay full price for a new one of each if I had the means.

However I can afford a new 991TTS but in my eyes it is not worth $200K. I'd rather spend the equivalent for a lightly used F458 ($220K-ish) which I consider to be more "special". But to each his own.

Sounds like you're in the market for a new TT, you should definitely go for it and enjoy it to the fullest. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what others think as long as you get satisfaction and joy out of ownership!

speed21 01-09-2014 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by aa909 (Post 11037097)
Not necessarily. The F458 is insanely gorgeous as is the Aventador and I'd happily pay full price for a new one of each if I had the means.

However I can afford a new 991TTS but in my eyes it is not worth $200K. I'd rather spend the equivalent for a lightly used F458 ($220K-ish) which I consider to be more "special". But to each his own.

Sounds like you're in the market for a new TT, you should definitely go for it and enjoy it to the fullest. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what others think as long as you get satisfaction and joy out of ownership!

Agree on the 458. It is more special in terms of event. Engine note is also hard to beat. And yes, 991tts is a compelling drive out of the box but haven't jumped into the pool yet. Am seriously considering it though, and for my type of use is probably the more practical solution.

Leo997TT 01-09-2014 01:19 AM

I think the 991TTS is amazing! I went to see it today and the interior is really nice, you can't compare the interior with the Ferrari/Lamborghini interiors but we can't compare Hugo boss shoes with D&G shoes....

The Ferrari 458 is 100k or even more depending on the options more expensive than the 991TTS and the performance is the same... Maybe the 991TTS is even faster than the 458! So the 458 have to have a better interior than the 991TTS in order for Ferrari to justify why their cars is more expensive!

I think the 991TTS is amazing! I can't afford a 200k car at this moment of my life... But if I could I will definitely do it because I think it's worth every penny...

I have to be honest with you guys! I drive a Lambo but I'm a Vette guy... And I'm waiting for the new C7 ZR1 to come out! Lol

shawsan 01-09-2014 01:32 AM

The Ferrari 458 is and always will be a stallion. The TTS is an excellent, all round ranch horse.

speed21 01-09-2014 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11037169)
I think the 991TTS is amazing! I went to see it today and the interior is really nice, you can't compare the interior with the Ferrari/Lamborghini interiors but we can't compare Hugo boss shoes with D&G shoes....

I think the 991TTS is amazing! I can't afford a 200k car at this moment of my life... But if I could I will definitely do it because I think it's worth every penny...

Agree totally. Expectations need to be managed depending upon the car itself. 458 is gorgeous as is 991TTS in their own individual ways. 458 is more of an event though, can't dispute that.

Looks aside, the drive of the TTS is incredible. Try and get the keys next time!

Originally Posted by shawsan (Post 11037184)
The Ferrari 458 is and always will be a stallion. The TTS is an excellent, all round ranch horse.

Agree.

And the 458 has aged very well so far. I wonder what they plan next? It must be getting close to a refresh.

Overdraft 01-09-2014 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 11037054)

:)

Augustomf 01-09-2014 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by aa909 (Post 11037097)

Let me start by saying that I would love to have a 458, but I see some downsides to Ferrari ownership. First upkeep, much more expensive, second it is a show car, meaning that once you are in one you are automatically perceived as very wealthy and show off. Porsches do not have that direct link yet, you are perceive as wealthy, but not extremely wealthy, and you are not perceived as show off.

Do the simple test, go to a garage in a Porsche and get a quote for a tire change, just the labor to remove and replace the tire, later go back to the same garage with a Lambo or Ferrari and ask them to quote you the same job!

Even though the 991TTs is super expensive, most laymen will think is at the same price range as a regular 991, so you are still not perceived as a showoff super wealthy.

My 2cents, in my case I can only afford to have and maintain my 991s and have enough power to get a whole bunch of tickets, so I am happy.

fskof 01-09-2014 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 11037413)

Agree.

And the 458 has aged very well so far. I wonder what they plan next? It must be getting close to a refresh.

The rumor is that the 458 replacement will have a V8 turbo engine but thats not for a few years.

Coincident 01-09-2014 11:23 AM

The TTS a " ranch horse". Calling one of the finest automobiles ever built a ranch horse is bordering on insanity. Perhaps a tad of exaggeration.

550bryan 01-09-2014 01:01 PM

I have to say in the Ferrari vs TT discussion that I'm glad to be back in a Porsche. My Ferrari, although an older 550 Maranello was in red/tan and it was so much more a "look at me" car than my white/black TT. My wife particularly didn't like the flashiness of the F car. Not to mention that the TT is a completely different class dynamically but then it's 11 years newer. The 458 is modern as well and does come with maintenance included, but once that's over grab your wallet.

phillipj 01-09-2014 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Overdraft (Post 11037713)
:)

Awesome perception.. I may end up having one.. But I still will never be in love with the interior. Let the depreciation begin!

Coincident 01-09-2014 08:22 PM

If you buy it, the interior will grow on you and I will be shocked if you do not end up loving the car.

speed21 01-09-2014 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Coincident (Post 11039276)
If you buy it, the interior will grow on you and I will be shocked if you do not end up loving the car.

Agree.

Money ultimately changes many perceptions with these types of purchases although you will always get the odd man out that will insist on chaining himself to the deck of the titanic.

Igooz 01-09-2014 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 11039517)
Money ultimately changes many perceptions with these types of purchases although you will always get the odd man out that will insist on chaining himself to the deck of the titanic.

^That would be me! The ship is tilted...No M/T...No more new PCars for me...You guys enjoy the (depreciated) 991TT or TTS...
PS: That is why I am not on the 991TT forum!

eurotom 01-09-2014 10:38 PM

^+1. "Don't ever let go jack"

550bryan 01-09-2014 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Igooz (Post 11039611)
^That would be me! The ship is tilted...No M/T...No more new PCars for me...You guys enjoy the (depreciated) 991TT or TTS...
PS: That is why I am not on the 991TT forum!

Igooz, You must be an old guy! I have to admit that I am, and I prefer cars with three pedals. I drove a few TTS's with PDK and they were unbelievably fast and a thrill to drive, but in the end I opted for an 09 TT with 6 speed and I happy I did. I have to admit that part of the decision making process involved the fact that TTS's ( I looked at 2011 models with their better software on the PDK) aren't depreciated to a level I like, so maybe there'll be a TTS in my future, even with it's PDK, but it would be hard to part with my 09.
I'm definitely in the camp that waits for a lightly used example of any car, finding the sweet spot between price and value. That means I don't need to think much about the 991, yea, it will be interesting to hear peoples opinions, but I wouldn't be a buyer for a few years so I don't really need a personal perspective now.

Igooz 01-09-2014 11:04 PM

Old?! Older than Leo and younger than Phillip with less hair than both! :)

550bryan 01-09-2014 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Igooz (Post 11039716)

OK, In that case you're young, I stand corrected….but I'm still old and I like the challenge and art of mastering a three pedal car..

Igooz 01-09-2014 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by 550bryan (Post 11039737)

OK, In that case you're young, I stand corrected….but I'm still old and I like the challenge and art of mastering a three pedal car..

Old school! ;)

Leo997TT 01-10-2014 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Igooz (Post 11039716)

Lmao! I see what you did there!

Leo997TT 01-10-2014 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by 550bryan (Post 11038110)
The 458 is modern as well and does come with maintenance included, but once that's over grab your wallet.

Italian cars are really expensive to maintain... I seriously will trade my car for a 997 GT2 if they go down a littler... I can't afford to buy a $150k car... But maybe I can get to 120k

speed21 01-10-2014 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11039859)
Italian cars are really expensive to maintain... I seriously will trade my car for a 997 GT2 if they go down a littler... I can't afford to buy a $150k car... But maybe I can get to 120k

Were an F car is concerned it depends on how old it is. From what I understand all the later Ferraris are sold with a 7 year warranty and free servicing, free brake down service etc. Excellent customer service from what my brother reports so far. May be different in US? This is where Porsche falls over imo. Given the price tag their warranty is out of step with todays standards and whilst they may extend goodwill once the warranty expires you are basically in the lap of the gods. Goodwill also usually only applies to the original purchaser and the books need to be in order.

bill8411 01-10-2014 05:40 AM

Bryan, Leo, Phillip, Igooz.

I'm older than all of you. Tip by necessity because of hip injury..

Do I win??

:burnout:

Leo997TT 01-10-2014 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 11040122)
Were an F car is concerned it depends on how old it is. From what I understand all the later Ferraris are sold with a 7 year warranty and free servicing, free brake down service etc. Excellent customer service from what my brother reports so far. May be different in US? This is where Porsche falls over imo. Given the price tag their warranty is out of step with todays standards and whilst they may extend goodwill once the warranty expires you are basically in the lap of the gods. Goodwill also usually only applies to the original purchaser and the books need to be in order.

Ferrari & Lamborghini are for people who doesn't have any economical worries .... When somebody ask how much is the maintenance of the F430, Gallardo, 458, Aventador, etc that means they shouldn't have it.... Lol I shouldn't have it! I will be destroy if I ever have to pay 40k to do the engine of my car, that's when I think I can afford to have a Porsche but not an Italian sport car, specially because the chances you will blow the engine of a Porsche are very low.... I wish u could say that with Lamborghini & Ferrari.

Leo997TT 01-10-2014 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by bill8411 (Post 11040174)
Bryan, Leo, Phillip, Igooz. I'm older than all of you. Tip by necessity because of hip injury.. Do I win?? :burnout:

I'm sorry to hear that!

I'm sure if you didn't have that injury you will be driving a manual TT!

Leo997TT 01-10-2014 01:30 PM

Hey guys! Here is what the PDK can do to the new generation of P cars lol

Augustomf 01-10-2014 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11040261)
, specially because the chances you will blow the engine of a Porsche are very low.... I wish u could say that with Lamborghini & Ferrari.

I wonder if the 996 IMS crowd agrees with you?

But as I wrote before I agree that F-cars are super expensive to upkeep.

phillipj 01-10-2014 04:12 PM

Update on the test drive. They now have the car in the front window and tell me that if I want to drive it I will have to make a pledge to buy it. This is typical of the first models to hit the showroom. They act like it the only TT in the world. That's okay.. I understand car dealers..

I will be patient and wait until more cars are in the market.. Then they will change their tune a little.. It's just a car and I'm not exactly slumming in mine..

And Speed you are probably right. Just because I don't like (parts of) the TT now doesn't mean I won't change my mind down the road...

My comments sure created a great thread though!

550bryan 01-10-2014 05:06 PM

An interesting, sometimes informing and alway entertaining thread whether you got to drive the 991 TTS or not Phillip…..

Leo997TT 01-10-2014 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by phillipj (Post 11041425)

Phillip

This is the best thread ever!!! You have no idea how much I laugh when you call speed asshole lmao! Which I agree with you he is an smartass but I like his style a lot! I just like stray shooters! I hate fake people.... Even he agree with you!!! Lol I'm an asshole too!!! Lmao

About the dealer..... I don't know how they are expecting to sell cars if they keep doing that crap! They did the same **** to me in the dodge dealer last week, when I went to see the new Viper.

Psup4s 01-10-2014 10:09 PM

Update on the test drive. They now have the car in the front window and tell me that if I want to drive it I will have to make a pledge to buy it. This is typical of the first models to hit the showroom. They act like it the only TT in the world. That's okay.. I understand car dealers..

I will be patient and wait until more cars are in the market.. Then they will change their tune a little.. It's just a car and I'm not exactly slumming in mine..

And Speed you are probably right. Just because I don't like (parts of) the TT now doesn't mean I won't change my mind down the road...

Philip, screw the 991tt then nobody wants to that piece of junk anyway........997 FTMFW!!!
BTW, if anyone wants to trade their 991tt for a much better 997tt let me know I'll be willing to make the sacrifice :crying:

Leo997TT 01-11-2014 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Psup4s (Post 11042168)
Philip, screw the 991tt then nobody wants to that piece of junk anyway........997 FTMFW!!! BTW, if anyone wants to trade their 991tt for a much better 997tt let me know I'll be willing to make the sacrifice :crying:

Yeah screw that piece of trash! But if anyone wants to trade it for a superior Gallardo I'm down to take the hit! One for the team!!

fskof 01-11-2014 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Psup4s (Post 11042168)
Philip, screw the 991tt then nobody wants to that piece of junk anyway........997 FTMFW!!!
BTW, if anyone wants to trade their 991tt for a much better 997tt let me know I'll be willing to make the sacrifice :crying:

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11043972)
Yeah screw that piece of trash! But if anyone wants to trade it for a superior Gallardo I'm down to take the hit! One for the team!!

How nice of the two of you to take one for the team..... :thumbup:

speed21 01-12-2014 03:18 AM

Not surprised to hear. Unless they have sized you up as a highly likely contender they generally won't throw you the keys to a car like this especially if it is brand new floor stock and the only one in the place. A press car or stock unit assigned to a g/manager (dedicated as a short term demonstrator) may be a different story but even so they will usually want to be satisfied they are not putting k's on a high $ car that won't progress as a deal in the foreseeable future. Models like Boxters, and garden variety 911's aren't such a problem. They know most guys that stump up the big dollars want it with delivery K's only unless there is a very big discount involved, and we all know how much they hate that word .

And, as I mentioned earlier on there were a few things about the new car I'd hoped were a little better visually such as that front valance but I can tell you after driving that TTS, it was very very sharp in all the right areas, dynamically some big improvements… very impressive and satisfying to drive I found. Anyway always best to keep an open mind because depreciation will kick hard as it always does. ;)

Originally Posted by fskof (Post 11044056)

Very kind indeed. It is a nice thought if someone here would also swap mine too for this junk. And then I will really love it :surr:

Leo997TT 01-12-2014 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by fskof (Post 11044056)

You know.... Money isn't everything.....

Psup4s 01-12-2014 02:55 PM

I always loved the looks of the 991tt since it came out. I was a bit disappointed in the c2s I test drove as it felt too comfy for me even on sport mode.

Funny thing is yesterday I left a deposit at my local P dealer for a brand new Cayenne GTS......both my P cars combined would have gotten me into 991tt with enough money left for mods but I need the third car in my garage now :banghead:

Unlike the 991c2s, the Cayenne GTS had me smile the whole time I test drove it. By the time I came back from the test drive I was ready to sign :bowdown:

phillipj 01-12-2014 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11041624)
Phillip

This is the best thread ever!!! You have no idea how much I laugh when you call speed asshole lmao! Which I agree with you he is an smartass but I like his style a lot! I just like stray shooters! I hate fake people.... Even he agree with you!!! Lol I'm an asshole too!!! Lmao

About the dealer..... I don't know how they are expecting to sell cars if they keep doing that crap! They did the same **** to me in the dodge dealer last week, when I went to see the new Viper.

I doubt that Paul minds me calling him an asshole.. I have been called that many times.. We are all grown men here.. We are having a good time with this topic that is for sure!

phillipj 01-12-2014 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Psup4s (Post 11045605)
I always loved the looks of the 991tt since it came out. I was a bit disappointed in the c2s I test drove as it felt too comfy for me even on sport mode.

Funny thing is yesterday I left a deposit at my local P dealer for a brand new Cayenne GTS......both my P cars combined would have gotten me into 991tt with enough money left for mods but I need the third car in my garage now :banghead:

Unlike the 991c2s, the Cayenne GTS had me smile the whole time I test drove it. By the time I came back from the test drive I was ready to sign :bowdown:

The GTS rocks. I love the Cayenne..Nice purchase!

speed21 01-12-2014 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11045572)
You know.... Money isn't everything.....

True….but it sure helps.

Originally Posted by Psup4s (Post 11045605)

GTS is a great unit. We were hooked and would have bought had the V8DS not presented itself as an alternative. Enjoy.

Originally Posted by phillipj (Post 11046341)
I doubt that Paul minds me calling him an asshole.. I have been called that many times.. We are all grown men here.. We are having a good time with this topic that is for sure!

Yeh I can say I had some fun so no hard feelings my end. Alls fun in love and war as they say...

Psup4s 01-12-2014 11:25 PM

^^ I felt the v6 diesel was nice but def not worth the price tag. It felt soooo laggy that I dont think I could live with it even with the 30k less price tag. Also the engine rattles and vibrations were quickly noticeable on test drive.
I can't speak for v8ds as it is not available in the states. Not sure people would be too interested in v8 diesel. Aside from engine type, the GTS is the only model that was aesthetically appealing to me.

speed21 01-13-2014 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Psup4s (Post 11046634)
^^ I felt the v6 diesel was nice but def not worth the price tag. It felt soooo laggy that I dont think I could live with it even with the 30k less price tag. Also the engine rattles and vibrations were quickly noticeable on test drive.
I can't speak for v8ds as it is not available in the states. Not sure people would be too interested in v8 diesel. Aside from engine type, the GTS is the only model that was aesthetically appealing to me.

Sorry to OP to go off topic, but I would agree V6D is no GTS power plant in any way shape or form. V8D… well that's a completely different story..

…would also agree GTS is packaged nicely out of the box with only a few ticks required as extras. It seems in US the 991TT is also pretty basic out of the box and you need to tick quite a few to get it to an acceptable standard? Here that car is full leather standard with nav, bose etc.

phillipj 01-13-2014 12:15 PM

From what I have seen you are right Paul.. They have another black one at my dealer and the interior is bare bones just like the white one was..

That's disappointing but I guess the 997 was no different..

It's just that bare bones at $167k kinda bugs me..

My car was fully loaded with every option (except deviated stitching) and the sticker was $144..

So that means if you loaded the base 991 TT with the same options it would be in the $180+ range..

There I go talking about money again...:surr:

Psup4s 01-13-2014 01:26 PM

Its all about money when it comes to porsches. The 997tt at my p dealer was well up in the 190s

speed21 01-13-2014 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by phillipj (Post 11047552)
My car was fully loaded with every option (except deviated stitching) and the sticker was $144..
So that means if you loaded the base 991 TT with the same options it would be in the $180+ range..

I agree a car like a TT it should be full leather standard. Non turbo cars with partial leather appear to have a lesser grade on the seats to me. Here with a TT it is only available in full leather, so it feels nice as it should. Shame the tunnel, visors and s/column aren't full leather especially at our outrageous pricing. This car needs the full leather to match the turbo sticker and prestige of the model and I'm actually surprised that anyone would even buy a model like this so bare bones.

And the money is always an issue for most of us at one point, which accordingly amplifies any scrutiny on the purchase. At our prices it's terrible getting over the hurdle. At 500 it will really bug you.

phillipj 01-14-2014 02:33 PM

I agree completely Paul..Doesn't a loaded Camry come with full leather?:corn:

500k That is just crazy...

Psup4s 01-14-2014 03:18 PM

Still talking about how expensive it is to own a Porsche in any other country??????:o :crying: We get it!!!

phillipj 01-14-2014 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Psup4s (Post 11051475)
Still talking about how expensive it is to own a Porsche in any other country??????:o :crying: We get it!!!

We are fortunate here in the US compared to Asia, Europe etc. I was not aware of the prohibitive tax in AUS until I heard about it here.

If I lived there I would seriously have to step up my game in order to afford what I want to drive!

Psup4s 01-14-2014 05:09 PM

^^^^ I'm well aware of that. Many reasons why but no need to get into it lol thread is dying and we need some drama :icon107:

phillipj 01-14-2014 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Psup4s (Post 11051779)
^^^^ I'm well aware of that. Many reasons why but no need to get into it lol thread is dying and we need some drama :icon107:

Oh I see.. Well I will have to think of something to say to piss someone off then.

I know.. Europipe SUCKS!:icon107:

atcbi5 01-14-2014 08:28 PM

PDK sucks! There I said it, six speeds the way to go.

Psup4s 01-14-2014 09:01 PM

:icon501: Hell yea PDK is gay..... And my US spec car beats all the others and I paid less for it.....LOL

550bryan 01-14-2014 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by atcbi5 (Post 11052243)
PDK sucks! There I said it, six speeds the way to go.

I almost went over to the dark side and considered a PDK. I saw the light though and went with a 09 with three pedals, the street rod in my avatar has three pedals too, with a Getrag 6 speed…..

Leo997TT 01-15-2014 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Manual is for old people! ;-)

I can't wait for the Sportbikes to have the PDK option! :-0

By the way I'm keeping my car for a few years but I'm buying a sport bike in the sprint!

550bryan 01-15-2014 12:04 PM

I wonder how many contemporary Porsche owners don't even know how to drive a car with a manual transmission, it's a travesty…..

Psup4s 01-15-2014 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11053487)
Manual is for old school real driver people! ;-)

There...I fixed it for you :cheers: by the way, i'm 41 and all about six speed :)

I do agree PDK is great and I would have it on my daily driver but at the end of the week.......SIX speed for real good fun

fskof 01-15-2014 01:05 PM

Manual is for old people! ;-)

I can't wait for the Sportbikes to have the PDK option! :-0

By the way I'm keeping my car for a few years but I'm buying a sport bike in the sprint!

You will love a Ducati. I had one ... what a great bike.....

eurotom 01-15-2014 02:08 PM

To recap, from 991 TT impressions(997TT of course superior) to Aussie luxury taxes, to cheap leather, to sportbikes, to a slight jab on how crappy EP is, to motorbikes, to PDK/manual (PDK guys=wives wear the pants). What are we missing? How about throwing in the GTR into this thread.

Lets talk about the new 9A1 block as of today as we know over 30% of the new GT3's that have run on the track have gone into limp mode.

Love this forum

phillipj 01-15-2014 02:23 PM

Oh boy.. I have been in "limp mode" before.. It's not a good thing..

:roflmao:

eurotom 01-15-2014 02:31 PM

Phillip are you talking about your car? I know you look young but........

Leo997TT 01-15-2014 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Psup4s (Post 11053771)
There...I fixed it for you :cheers: by the way, i'm 41 and all about six speed :) I do agree PDK is great and I would have it on my daily driver but at the end of the week.......SIX speed for real good fun

Lmao that was a good one lol

41 still old!! I'm 28!!

Leo997TT 01-15-2014 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by fskof (Post 11053851)
You will love a Ducati. I had one ... what a great bike.....

I love sport-bike! I had an MV Agusta F4RR last year.

Igooz 01-15-2014 03:25 PM

Manual is for old people! ;-) I can't wait for the Sportbikes to have the PDK option! :-0 By the way I'm keeping my car for a few years but I'm buying a sport bike in the sprint!

Honda tried PDK on their VF1200. Sales were horrible and the re-sale even worse...

I guess if you can't shift gears maybe you should not be riding motorcycles? :)

phillipj 01-15-2014 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by eurotom (Post 11054079)
Phillip are you talking about your car? I know you look young but........

Limp mode is just a bad thing... Period... Having lunch with Art tomorrow. It's 85 degrees here.. Really weird weather..

Leo997TT 01-15-2014 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Igooz (Post 11054200)
Honda tried PDK on their VF1200. Sales were horrible and the re-sale even worse... I guess if you can't shift gears maybe you should not be riding motorcycles? :)

You guys are upset because Porsche is not making manual cars anymore! I understand that... I like it manual too but PDK is the future! None of us can shift gears as fast as the PDK can do it for us... :-)

I'm buying a pink Vespa with a white basket in the front :-)

eurotom 01-15-2014 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by phillipj (Post 11054295)
Limp mode is just a bad thing... Period... Having lunch with Art tomorrow. It's 85 degrees here.. Really weird weather..

Haha indeed. Yeah Bay Area 76 yesterday tahoe for New Years no snow! Tell Art to grow balls and take his car to the track.

speed21 01-16-2014 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Psup4s (Post 11051779)

Yes, drama is needed at times, lmao! Let us see if we can provide some together...

Leo997TT 01-18-2014 09:03 PM

This forums can be more dramatic than a reality show!

550bryan 01-18-2014 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11054327)
You guys are upset because Porsche is not making manual cars anymore! I understand that... I like it manual too but PDK is the future! None of us can shift gears as fast as the PDK can do it for us... :-)

Leo, No one can seriously disagree that the PDK does everything better that a manual, and that the 6 speed is fading away. Regardless of that reality though I still appreciate the involvement of using those three pedals and the shifter. It's the romance of you and the car as one as you master the skill and all that crap, but then my TT isn't a daily driver. All that said I suspect my next car will have a PDK...

speed21 01-18-2014 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11054327)

Being a manual guy at heart, after driving the 991TTS even I must concede the latest PDK makes for a compelling argument to accept change. The way it shifts really does complements the performance of the turbo engine in a satisfying way. I think the manual will always remain satisfying but it would certainly remove some of the purposeful edge from the car itself and not necessarily in the most desirable way. The new car has its own feel and doesn't rely so much on a manual shift to deliver the sensations to the driver. If you drive one you will know what I mean.

And the pink vespa? ….well if you mention it over on 6 you will likely receive all kinds of compliments….especially if it has purple deviated stitching on the seat with a grille on the front….like a small bull bar iykwim….and a small klaxon horn, the one with a little rubber squeezer, will also bring adoration.

Leo997TT 01-19-2014 04:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I already bought it!!!

speed21 01-19-2014 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11063255)
I already bought it!!!

Pretty, but it needs a few simple mods before you can take it over to 6 for a show and tell. I know of a couple of members over there that would take your arm off for that so just be careful ok….no need me to name names hehehe.

Psup4s 01-19-2014 10:42 AM

Nice beard

ColdList 01-19-2014 10:50 PM

Could not agree more with your assessments of the 991 TT. Opinions are just that-opinions. Subjectivity is strange sometimes. I cannot imagine ever choosing a 997 over a 991. In fact, I did what I said. I chose the 991 TT even with 997s offered at substantially better prices. Much more refined car. The chassis is remarkable.

aa909 01-20-2014 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by eurotom (Post 11054522)
Haha indeed. Yeah Bay Area 76 yesterday tahoe for New Years no snow! Tell Art to grow balls and take his car to the track.

LMAO!! message was delivered!

eurotom 01-20-2014 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by aa909 (Post 11066891)
LMAO!! message was delivered!

Damn didn't know you were subscribed :)

550bryan 01-21-2014 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by phillipj (Post 11047552)
From what I have seen you are right Paul.. They have another black one at my dealer and the interior is bare bones just like the white one was..

That's disappointing but I guess the 997 was no different..

Phillip, My local dealer, Pacific Porsche in Torrance has a black 991 TTS on the showroom floor as well and it's pretty basic. They told me the dealers all got original cars speced by PCNA and they weren't happy with the way they were equipped. Apparently prospective customers agree because it's been there for awhile. They just received an unsold 991 GT3 on the other hand, it was white, and it was sold before they could get it off the truck…..

Leo997TT 01-29-2014 03:03 AM

Hey Phillip!

This is what you need to do next time somebody mess with you! Lol

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=73b_1364917659

Hugo Gunnarsen 01-29-2014 05:52 AM

That's an interesting write up. I'm currently planning to get a 991 Turbo S, and I love the interior ... just not so much the default 'settings'.

1) Yes, the non TS trim is in a 'cheap' metal/painted plastic that I did not like at all. TS does come with 'free' Leather/Aluminum/CF, which looks much better (I'm thinking CF, even if Aluminum looks nicer (have that in my M3)). I wish I could have replaced the center of the steering wheel with aluminum or something nice, but then I lose the paddles ... so ... (perhaps after market here)

2) I did pick it in dual-tone (black/red), and leather on the dash/door/back, at that point I think it looks very nice, and up to an M6 level (almost, with exception of buttons and ergo), but I actually like the seats (the sports plus).

3) Should Porsche make the 911 nicer than the Boxter? Yes ... they did add some default trims to the TS vs T, which lift it a bit ... but then again they also added the price :)

Can you say more about what you like with the 997 interior? I actually found the 991 to be superior to the 997 interior (but still with the 'flaws' above).

My main issue with the 997 Turbo was the lag ... oh the horrible turbo lag ... 991 not so much (still some, but it's not an on/off switch at 4500rpm ... it pulled quite strong at 2k, and took < 0.5s to get into boost ... the 997 took 2-3seconds ... (which almost turned me away from Porsche T ... till I tested the 991 - Better then an M6, but worse than an M3 (M3 was actually better than the CS4 (throttle response), did not try the GT3).

Fixinbones 01-29-2014 11:42 AM

991 TT Over 400k
991 TTS Over 450K

How do they sell any cars with prices like that?

Richard Williams 01-30-2014 04:23 PM

Hi everyone,
Well, I was very scared when I gave up Jezzabel my 997 Turbo '07 Coupe with all the bells and whistles and Mary, my 996 Turbo coupe '03 plus 70,000.00 and now I only owe 127,000.00 since they didn't give me the 40,000.00 because they didn't have the titles yet so yes I was scared of my new 991 Turbo S....

O.K. The 996 had the best interior to me.. Just racing car. The 997 looks the best on the outside but drives like a house with rockets... Fast but finicky.

The 991 Turbo S is definitely so far superior to either of those in speed, handling, comfort and quietness that there's really no comparison... But that said often it's getting to the speed and not going 93 before you even realize it!

Different animal... This one is basically a cup car and you know it as soon as you start driving her... Hard to even compare. This one is so far superior, but in different ways, that you really have to take a risk!

You can't just leave the driver's window down and drive 65 mph. The echo of the air is painful. The aerodynamics are for a race car and not a casual run about fast car. So.. it's definitely different.... Ridiculously fast and doesn't even notice other supposedly fast cars around, it's calmly just whooshing past them so it's not real comparison. The quiet inside in leather with the carbon and red and black leather is very beautiful with the red stitching on the black dashboard... the brakes are like a very light touch and you slam through the front window....

Take a deep breath and sign over your next years income but you won't be disappointed at all.... I'll post some pictures when I'm permitted. It's been awhile since I've gone back to this site and dealt with forgetting my password! Boy, it takes two days for them to sent you it in the email!

Thanks and let's here from others who took the risk!

Richard

Richard Williams 01-30-2014 04:24 PM

http://newcar2