Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   First impressions with the new 991 TT (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/793959-first-impressions-with-the-new-991-tt.html)

Igooz 01-05-2014 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by br911 (Post 11027939)
Think about the weather in LA today and almost everywhere else in the country and we can see why they can get away with charging us those taxes in CA....

I'd be moving to CA in a minute if it wasn't for the guy(s) with spikey hair! ;)

997rs4.0 01-05-2014 08:21 PM

Took a 991 turbo s for a spin last week. Absolutely awesome car. It's super fast and makes you feel like you can drive it flat out all the time. The gear box is stupid fast. But that same day I got to try a 993tt in mint condition. I would take the 993 every day of the week…………

docfink 01-05-2014 09:35 PM

#winner response of the young, new year!!

:roflmao:

Originally Posted by Terry Adams (Post 11027852)
This is why I buy a new Porsche every 10 years, drive it about 160K miles, wash rinse repeat. Only when a special one comes along.

Evolutionary is not good enough for $180K or so.

At 67 with 2 new hips I am probably on my last one anyway.

Hookers and blow sounds like a better investment if I could get away with it.

Zero911 01-05-2014 11:07 PM

I'm actually the opposite :) I like the interior and am not entirely impressed with the exterior.

Exterior: it's not that I hate it. I actually do like the 991 look. I (just like you) didn't like the front end treatment on the Turbo (for some reason I prefer the Carrera's) and the hips are too horizontal for me. I wish it angled more. The side vent also looks like an after thought to me. It's missing some edginess but perhaps that was intentional on Porsche's part.

Interior: I like it. If you for a second put aside how the Boxster/Cayman got the same interior, then I think the interior's actually pretty good. It's an evolution and with the right set of usual options, I think it's pretty awesome. I think your main issue is that it's not differentiated from the Boxster/Cayman. I agree. But the I don't think the interior in and of itself is cheap or bad in anyway.

Boeing 717 01-06-2014 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 11028066)
Nope it's definitely more special, and, removing money from the equation I would seriously question the legitimacy/rationale behind anyone saying the contrary.

Of course u would.

bill8411 01-06-2014 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Igooz (Post 11028105)
I'd be moving to CA in a minute if it wasn't for the guy(s) with spikey hair! ;)

Hey!

Watch that spikey hair comment!!

:cheers:

phillipj 01-06-2014 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 11028066)
Nope it's definitely more special, and, removing money from the equation I would seriously question the legitimacy/rationale behind anyone saying the contrary.

Your opinion is not gospel. Undoubtedly the TT will be faster and it looks cooler from the outside..

If you like the interior that is fine. I think it sucks. Define "Special".

That is truly in the eye of the beholder.

I don't like it and because you do it not grounds for me to change my mind.

I will see how I feel when I drive it.

But you are always right so I anticipate another 1000 word essay from you about what a fool I am for contradicting you..

By the way I have had the Pleasure of driving a McLaren for several days. That is an awesome machine. The full carbon interior is quite beautiful and very comfortable.. That car feels like a "Super car". Although it didn't get a chance to through it around (because it wasn't mine) I was very impressed to say the least. But I'm sure that I'm wrong about liking the Mac as well..

Please Speed guide me because it's apparent I'm a lost soul..:corn:

phillipj 01-06-2014 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Igooz (Post 11028105)

Love it....:biggulp:

phillipj 01-06-2014 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Zero911 (Post 11028484)
I'm actually the opposite :) I like the interior and am not entirely impressed with the exterior.

Exterior: it's not that I hate it. I actually do like the 991 look. I (just like you) didn't like the front end treatment on the Turbo (for some reason I prefer the Carrera's) and the hips are too horizontal for me. I wish it angled more. The side vent also looks like an after thought to me. It's missing some edginess but perhaps that was intentional on Porsche's part.

Interior: I like it. If you for a second put aside how the Boxster/Cayman got the same interior, then I think the interior's actually pretty good. It's an evolution and with the right set of usual options, I think it's pretty awesome. I think your main issue is that it's not differentiated from the Boxster/Cayman. I agree. But the I don't think the interior in and of itself is cheap or bad in anyway.

See now that's what makes a market... I'm looking forward to driving it.. I'm sure I'll be very impressed..

Leo997TT 01-06-2014 05:03 PM

You know how I know you all are all?

Because you all complain about the PDK!!! Come in guys! Let it go! PDK is the future... Porsche can't afford to make anymore manual cars because they are too SLOW and the GTR will eat them alive...

550bryan 01-06-2014 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by 550bryan (Post 11028082)
The rules are certainly different in a price no object world, I'm guessing, I don't live there….

Originally Posted by Leo997TT (Post 11030141)
You know how I know you all are all?

Because you all complain about the PDK!!! Come in guys! Let it go! PDK is the future... Porsche can't afford to make anymore manual cars because they are too SLOW and the GTR will eat them alive...

For absolute speed the PDK is a no brainer, but then when do we drive our cars at 10/10ths or 9 or even 8, only on the track I hope. I know the PDK would dominate in the stop light derby too, but I try to avoid that too, as I get older and a little mellower. The 6 speed on the other hand is all about the driving experience and the opportunity to be an active participant in the thrill of piloting a competent set of wheels. The paddle shifters are cool, but it's just not the same as mastering the use of those three pedals and the shifter. I'm an older guy so my perspective may be dying, but I still love a manual.

atcbi5 01-06-2014 07:52 PM

Tell em Leo, for that price I am getting a used Mc Laren MP12, Lambo or an 09 TT as last resort. What did it for me are the 996 look alike intercooler intakes! They messed up.

speed21 01-06-2014 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Boeing 717 (Post 11028651)
Of course u would.

Cute, but I doubt I am the only person who has found the new car better so please accept it is not just me you have the problem with.

Originally Posted by phillipj (Post 11029700)
Your opinion is not gospel Undoubtedly the TT will be faster and it looks cooler from the outside..

If you like the interior that is fine. I think it sucks. Define "Special".

That is truly in the eye of the beholder.

I don't like it and because you do it not grounds for me to change my mind.

I will see how I feel when I drive it.

But you are always right so I anticipate another 1000 word essay from you about what a fool I am for contradicting you..

By the way I have had the Pleasure of driving a McLaren for several days. That is an awesome machine. The full carbon interior is quite beautiful and very comfortable.. That car feels like a "Super car". Although it didn't get a chance to through it around (because it wasn't mine) I was very impressed to say the least. But I'm sure that I'm wrong about liking the Mac as well..

Please Speed guide me because it's apparent I'm a lost soul..:corn:

Sheesh. Hmmm….never said anything about it being gospel but oK well.. as my previous post regarding my own positive experience with the new 991tts has upset you so much Phillip I will delete it for you. I should have read by your savage criticisms you were hardly up for any positive news on the car. Would you like me to apologise for saying I found the car to be as good as it was? Let me know because I honestly hate to see grown men cry (especially at your age).

The only real problem remaining now is all the positive reviews from the numerous expert motoring journos, who own neither car yet have deemed the new 991tt the far superior car over 997tt in every way. Guess they are all just plain wrong too?

Anyway, I hope you come to terms with it and remember that behaving like a sore toe is not going to make the 997tt.1 a better car than the new 991TTS. Just saying, ok?

Btw if you have found the Maclaren so "awesome" then why on earth would you not buy one immediately? I mean at 54 life is far too short and at your dream prices you surely should have enough to buy one at this stage in the game? I mean at this level of car we are talking absolute chicken feed here. So why wouldn't you get it bought immediately and let's hear the review on that! I would much prefer to listen to that rather than the bitching and moaning over the new car that's been going on so far.

aa909 01-06-2014 08:14 PM

Phillip, nice write up. I was at the dealer today and had a chance to see a 991TTS up close for the first time. I have to agree with Phillip, the interior does feel a little "plastic-y" but what was really stunning was the $185K sticker. In CA, with a nearly 10% sales tax, that puts the car at north of $200K drive off!

The 991 Turbo body looks great, I like the width and the car definitely has an overall bad-ass road presence. The few areas where it is lacking in my eyes are as follows and of course all subjective :)

1) Retractable front spoiler may be great for ground clearance but it looks incomplete with the spoiler retracted. It's like the bottom jaw of the car is missing, doesn't look aggressive enough with the spoiler pulled back

2) Side intakes are small. Again here the intakes to my eye don't look aggressive enough, they look like small dimples on the car. Now I'm sure they are 100% perfectly functional per porsche engineers but just too small for the size of the car

3) Rear sits high, and the intercooler outlets are too subtle.

Overall I think the exterior of the car looks great but a little "feminine" (don't get all PC on me now!). I think with a few aftermarket tweaks, e.g. front spoiler, rear valence, a drop etc it would look great

With that said, no way I would trade up from my 997.1 to a $200K 991TTS. I've got my 997.1 set up perfectly for my tastes and given the delta in the trade up costs I would keep my 997.1TT and add a 2008 F430 or Gallardo. Now that would be a garage I would love… how do I get that approved by the wife LOL!!

Coincident 01-06-2014 08:30 PM

Disagreements over aesthetics will result in no winners. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we all see the world in a very subjective manner. I own both the 997.1 TT coupe and 997.2 TTS cab. I love the interior of the TTS, black/ cream interior and seats, all carbon fibre trim plus cream deviated stitching everywhere. Yet a similarly configured 991 interior is to my eyes more attractive. I prefer the look of the center console, dash vents and the chronos stop watch is more elegantly placed in the 991. As for the exterior, I far prefer the TTS. It is more muscular as evidenced by the side intake vents and the slats at the rear fenders. They are bolder and make more of a statement. The TTS looks like it means business. The 991 TTS is too refined and smooth. More elegant, less tough. My opinion and mine alone. And when I purchase a car, that is the only opinion that matters.