Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Somebody Help Me (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/792108-somebody-help-me.html)

Overdraft 12-23-2013 12:46 PM

Somebody Help Me

I have been given my 991tts slot. I can (sort of) afford the car...but don't like thinking to myself that I am a lemming either. I don't think there is good pick up in the market and they will be on the used car market in the spring at a 25% discount.

I will sell my 993TT (23,000 miles with sport seats) which is appreciating - and get killed on this deal in 48 months. I am not one of these guys that likes shiny new thinks - and need the latest and greatest...but I like Porsches...but I don't feel like I am getting good value here as a long term Porsche Customer - and I can't get a stick!?

Need some dime store phycology here...why do we even consider this car?

NorthvilleStig 12-23-2013 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Overdraft (Post 10998033)
I am not one of these guys that likes shiny new thinks - and need the latest and greatest...

Sounds like you would sleep better with a used car ... pick a number and just wait until it's at the price you want to pay.

I can't relate on a personal level ... I like shiny and latest and pay for it (dearly).

ajag 12-23-2013 04:45 PM

There will definitely be nicely discounted lightly used cars available in spring or summer for 10-15% off, maybe 20% if it's a high optioned S w/ an MSRP over 210k. 25% probably not until the 2015s are out.

tomshop 12-23-2013 07:19 PM

Would never want to feel stressed or stretched financially buying a car. Would wait. Will be plenty of opportunities in a year and even better in two.

Overdraft 12-23-2013 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by ajag (Post 10998522)
There will definitely be nicely discounted lightly used cars available in spring or summer for 10-15% off, maybe 20% if it's a high optioned S w/ an MSRP over 210k. 25% probably not until the 2015s are out.

Agree 100% ....and with my car is listing out at $ 220,000 C - not to mention a market that is 1/10 the size of the US...I don't see these things in Canada getting $ 175,000.00 - that's insane. Why can't they build me a TTS with a stick nicely equipped for $ 175K new?

Anyway guys...thanks for hearing me vent!

shawsan 12-24-2013 01:58 AM

Well, here are a couple of thoughts;

1) A new 991TTS will never draw the attention and deep admiration that yr. 993TT will. You own an icon, perhaps the only car I wish I'd never sold. It's a teutonic terror and a head turner. The 991TTS is just another marginal stylistic iteration on a 996TT and 997TT, all rather unnoticeable.

2) Yes, a $50 depreciation on a 991TTS is entirely realistic within one year. But, hey, that's only $4K a month. I know this will happen because I bought my 2012 TTS for $50 K less than it sold new after just one year, and I refuse to pay $50K more for a 991TTS and then take the $50K depreciation hit as well.

3) 991 TTS are already becoming a hard sell; few want to pay $225K (with options) for a car that no one notices; for that money they are thinking 'exotic' like a used Ferrari 458 Italia, or a 430 Scuderia.

4) If money is no object and you just gotta have it, then fine; but if that's not the case, keep thinking hard, as you're doing.

5) You could also keep your 993TT and buy a new GTR which Evo claims is half the cost of a 991TTS yet twice the fun. I accept doing so would be hard for many bc so many of us have been programmed from birth to think owning a Porsche is king -- but the world's changing a lot.

Good luck.

ajag 12-24-2013 10:11 AM

Definitely keep the 993TT, no matter what you do! :)

darth g-f 12-24-2013 11:53 AM

I'm glad there are people willing to lose thousands of dollars on brand new Porsches. But lots of it has to do with image, having the latest/best, status seeker and whatnot. I personnally can't afford the new car, but enjoy the performance so I am thrilled to buy used from someone so wealthy he doesn't mind losing thousands on a virtually brand new car.

I don't think anyone really "needs" a 991TTS, it's all a matter of desire. What you desire and why, only you can answer that. But it seems you already have your answer.

The 993TT is an all time classic. You'll kick yourself for selling such a car for the flavor of the month. The new cars will always be a bit better more refined, it's up to everyone to decide how much it's worth to them.

One of the main reason I bought a 996tt X50 was that I didn't like the 993 dynamics, the performances of the 997TT were really not much better that the X50 and the GTR couldn't be bought with a manual gearbox. The 996tt was the clear choice for me. Ask yourself what you really like. The answer will come. The 991TT is an amazing car, but it's not like it's the only amazing car out there. And besides Porsche fan boys, no one really can make the difference between a 964/993/996/997/991. :p

zedosix 12-24-2013 02:31 PM

Seems we all question the purchase

I'm just head over heals on the new tts that I'm biting the bullet and will likely pay dearly if I sell it in a couple years. I'm blown away by the pricing and almost embarrassed to tell people (which I haven't ) how much this car cost. I just tell them to google it, hoping they don't!!
I think alot depends on how long you will keep the car. I know very little about the 993 model but I suppose if its appreciating then the answer is clear.

I'm coming over from the corvette world and have had a couple ZO6's and the latest was a ZR1 so for me I need to have the power thrill and the the 991tts is the ticket. Looks are fantastic and as far as driveability, I read somewhere where its been said there isn't a car in the world that can travel at speed on a wet "b" road like the 991 tt. Its a "gotta have" car for me.

carcommander 12-24-2013 07:16 PM

993TT is a stunner no question. I had a 993 for 11 years. 991Turbo blows it away in all respects. I traded mine for an 08 turbo and never looked back.

Bacura 12-25-2013 06:14 PM

I am not an expert but my understanding is that turbo's depreciate more rapidly than non-T cars. Higher insurance and maintenance and for many extra power that will rarely be used. I think it's a great car but not worth getting into financial difficulty over. A 993TT is a wonderful car with some history but a 991 TT is just a totally different stratosphere in terms of performance AND luxury. I suspect a new 991S would destroy a 993TT in every performance category. So, do you want a rare 993TT which is still a nice car or a 991TT that is state of the art with supercar performance. It's an easy answer to me if you have the money.

achildofthesky 12-27-2013 12:12 PM

Keep driving your 993TT. You are going to hate yourself for selling it if you went the 991TTS route that you "can sort of afford". The depreciation will be staggering to one that is financially at the threshold of affordability. To one keeping a car for a LONG while or of more means then it doesn't matter as much or at all. But to someone in your situation buying a massively depreciating asset could be a very painful lesson were you to sell it for another.

Why the TTS? Look at the garden variety 991 TT and ask yourself how you are going to extract the extra performance of the TTS and how often and then look at the cost of the rather large difference. I "built" my 991 TT and the difference between a reasonably well equipped 991 C4S (I traded 2013 C4S in 1 tank of gas! Talk about a splurge buy, lovely as it was it was not the right car) and the build I did was about $30k. I can rationalize that. I cannot do the same for the TTS. Too many other shiny things out there.

Wait a year or 2 and revisit the issue and enjoy the 993 TT. Many would like to have that car and if you sell it you will be giving away any appreciation you have recognized and MUCH, MUCH more.

I too am wanting a 991 TT but will wait a bit on the market settling and I can see a bit of softness in sales as others noted but also a tightness in the supply as they are doled out sparingly as production ramps up and dealers try to keep pricing up for as long as possible.

You are wise to consider the depreciation in your situation. Listen to your instincts and keep your powder dry.

Be safe
Patty

drh 12-27-2013 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Overdraft (Post 10998033)
I can (sort of) afford the car...
Need some dime store phycology here...

I believe you answered the question in the first comment.

The best advice for that part of your brain that will listen is to do the right thing even though doing the right thing is almost always the harder thing.

Your call....My $0.02

TT Surgeon 01-03-2014 10:17 PM

I would keep the classic 993tt as your toy, consider a turbo Macan, etc as a dd. 220k for a dd is pushing it IMHO. I had a brand new '11 tts at a buck seventy price, I could afford it but just felt funny driving such a car on a daily basis. Resale will be in the toilet too. IMHO
C

Justin N 01-03-2014 10:44 PM

At one the the dealerships I was test driving at a buyer swapped keys with the dealer- his 993TT for a 991 ( non turbo). You could always do something like that with minimal cash outlay and still have an amazing vehicle if you are fretting over the $$$$.