Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo S - Confusing Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 12:07 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Sir_Ferrari
Maybe the FF is not the best looking Ferrari but for my opinion it looks better than the ugly Panamera, which is the ugliest Porsche ever build!
Can't disagree with that statement!
Old 01-16-2014, 03:23 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't like the Panamera looks either, but I'd rather stare at my ugly 100K car than my ugly 300K car.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I care less about depreciation and more about being able to get rid of the car when I want to. $100,000 off msrp means nothing if you can't sell the car when the thrill's gone. Resale market for that car is unique. Any Porsche made can be unloaded at a fair price whenever you choose.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:30 PM
F456 V12
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm relatively new to the forum, to reinforce resale and being able to unload the car, I once had a Ferrari 456GT. Great car by all measures...took over 18 months to sell it, my opinion is the same will be true for the FF, great car but takes a very unique buyer willing to drop the money for a Ferrari 4-seater. By comparison, I just sold my Modena 360, never advertised, just mentioned I might be willing to sell in FerrariChat, three people called within 72 hours, two came to see the car and two offers in less than a week. Now I have a 2014 991 Turbo on order, hopefully when time comes to sell, I'll have the same luck as I did with the 360.

MB
Old 01-16-2014, 05:45 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP's point is valid, that the TTS is now overpriced. That is largely because they load it with a bunch of options that many may not want. Both TT and TTS should be offered in base form, with their different hp, and consumers should decide which options they want. While TTS is overpriced, TT is reasonably priced.
Agree with others that both panamera and FF are ugly, could not get either. F12 seems a better option, or GT3 if getting a porsche.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:08 PM
roger sf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Disagree that TTS is overpriced relative to TT. I'd argue that the smart money buys the TTS. The added features and power are not only worth the $20k, but when it comes to resale which car do you think will be the most desirable? People will always want the Mac Daddy of the model line. $20k is a lot of money but if you can afford $160k you can afford $180k, especially when that premium supports resale of the whole car. The real key is staying away from the insane options list and procuring a fair concession off msrp from your dealer.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:52 PM
TC911
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by roger sf
Disagree that TTS is overpriced relative to TT. I'd argue that the smart money buys the TTS. The added features and power are not only worth the $20k, but when it comes to resale which car do you think will be the most desirable? People will always want the Mac Daddy of the model line. $20k is a lot of money but if you can afford $160k you can afford $180k, especially when that premium supports resale of the whole car. The real key is staying away from the insane options list and procuring a fair concession off msrp from your dealer.
Agree
Old 01-17-2014, 12:54 AM
F456 V12
AutoX

Originally Posted by roger sf
I disagree you get very little extra $$ on resale for having a TTS, because the next buyer is in the next strata of income and likely stretching to get into the car, otherwise they would just by new. The TT will attract more buyers on the secondary market and the CCB, suspension benefits will not have the premium you might think. And yes, I can afford a fully loaded TTS, but I chose TT because CCB, center hub wheels and chassis control were not important to me - I don't track or race the car. As far as the extra HP/Tq, for less the $1,500 I can change (flash) the ECU, add 100HP and 85/Tq.

Want anther example, compare the AMG SL63 with the MB SL550 - I have a 2013 SL550, $40K difference in price, yet with an ECU upgrade I get the same HP, same chassis, body, interior and one less suspension setting. Just look at resale, AMG's drop like rocks in the first few years and after 5 years the price delta is just a few $K.

MB
Old 01-17-2014, 10:01 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 The lower residuals through PFS on the TTS vs the TT corroborate this. I would also say the secondary market is probably more likely to track the car, making the CL and PCCBs much more expensive to that buyer in the long run.
Time will tell whether the simultaneous release of the TT and TTS was a wise move on Porsche's part.

Originally Posted by F456 V12
I disagree you get very little extra $$ on resale for having a TTS, because the next buyer is in the next strata of income and likely stretching to get into the car, otherwise they would just by new. The TT will attract more buyers on the secondary market and the CCB, suspension benefits will not have the premium you might think. And yes, I can afford a fully loaded TTS, but I chose TT because CCB, center hub wheels and chassis control were not important to me - I don't track or race the car. As far as the extra HP/Tq, for less the $1,500 I can change (flash) the ECU, add 100HP and 85/Tq.

Want anther example, compare the AMG SL63 with the MB SL550 - I have a 2013 SL550, $40K difference in price, yet with an ECU upgrade I get the same HP, same chassis, body, interior and one less suspension setting. Just look at resale, AMG's drop like rocks in the first few years and after 5 years the price delta is just a few $K.

MB
Old 01-17-2014, 12:34 PM
roger sf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree that the TT may be more desirable for the secondary buyer who wants to track the car owing to the ceramics and the CLs. That said, i rarely see turbos at the track but see lot of GT3s so I think there are limited buyers who seek that configuration for track purposes.

My experience with high end cars is that modifications narrow the number of potential buyers and in many cases mods erode as opposed to add value to a car. So, the notion that you can add parts to add more value than the factory installed options doesn't resonate with me.

Also, I get the logic but disagree that a non AMG SL vs an AMG SL is a relevant comparison for TT v TTS. In my experience an AMG and a base MB buyer are very different. I don't see why you wouldn't compare the 997 TT vs the 997 TTS. I did an online search looking at 2012 cars and found an average resale value of the TT at $116,235 and the TTS at $135,410 (see motortrend's site). They are both at 84% of the base msrp for those cars. Seems to suggest that the cars depreciate at the same pace.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:37 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

I think they will depreciate at about the same rate. I can afford a TTS I just didn't see the point.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:40 PM
F456 V12
AutoX

Originally Posted by carcommander
I think they will depreciate at about the same rate. I can afford a TTS I just didn't see the point.
Me too, just didn't see the value in the TTS over the TT.

MB

Last edited by F456 V12; 01-18-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:00 AM
NorthvilleStig
Instructor

They had me at "40 more HP" ...

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo S - Confusing Purchase