Sponsored by: Road Spy

CL vs. Classic 20" Wheels on 991TTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 203 Posts
Default CL vs. Classic 20" Wheels on 991TTS

In forum member opinions, I was looking for points I may not have thought about in altering the CL wheel for the 20" Classic that is available when ordering my car (that is if I can get my head around the #!). Has anyone seen - or better yet has a photo - or can photoshop - a 991TTS or 991TT with the 20" Classic wheel on it as they are pretty nice looking wheel and fill out the rear wheel well slightly better than the CL perhaps? I think the CL wheel is a wee bit lighter - so less un-sprung weight....and I think will likely will be more exclusive to the TTS vs. other 991 series cars....but that Classic wheel is nice....and the 5 bolt allows more wheel options in the future.....so I guess seeking the wisdom of the forum to their opinions of that and offer insight to this deliberation?
Old 11-24-2013, 11:42 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

have a look at this, mate. Not sure if this car has spacers on it, but the Classics look to fill the wheel wells quite nicely, imo.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:43 PM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the looks of the classics in black, but like the "exclusivity" of the CL... If I was ordering a TTS I'd stik with the CLs.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Right now I have black sport designs on my guards red 991s. They look fantastic but are very difficult to keep clean,.....not because they are black but because they have several tight spokes and it just takes a lot of time to get them spotless.

I have several specs I'm considering for my TT order,......all of them include Classics either silver or black painted. Why?....they would be the easiest by far to keep clean and are a very simple "powerful" design IMO. I don't really like the standard TT/TTS wheels, CL or not. They just look overly complicated in their design for my tastes.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

I like the Classics more than I like the standard option. I wish it was a satin, instead of gloss, finish.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Rocket Boy and Ajax-Prime are right...Classic is the nicest looking wheel and easier to keep clean - but Keithos27 is correct as well in that the CL is more exclusive and by right should be the logical choice for the TTS.

Attached is a picture of TT cab I just sold with classic 19" on it....which looked pretty nice....but this is a TTS under consideration and the 'factory' choice.
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2013, 11:54 AM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the opposite issue in that I purchased a launch TTS configured with the 5 lug standard Turbo wheels, which personally don't do much for me. I have asked the dealer what it will take to convert to the standard TTS CL wheels. They are waiting for some type of specific specifications/diagrams on the TTS to be made available from Porsche before they can tell me how easily and at what cost this can be done. Does anyone have any experience with going from 5-lug to CL wheels?
Old 11-26-2013, 12:05 PM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
In forum member opinions, I was looking for points I may not have thought about in altering the CL wheel for the 20" Classic that is available when ordering my car (that is if I can get my head around the #!). Has anyone seen - or better yet has a photo - or can photoshop - a 991TTS or 991TT with the 20" Classic wheel on it as they are pretty nice looking wheel and fill out the rear wheel well slightly better than the CL perhaps? I think the CL wheel is a wee bit lighter - so less un-sprung weight....and I think will likely will be more exclusive to the TTS vs. other 991 series cars....but that Classic wheel is nice....and the 5 bolt allows more wheel options in the future.....so I guess seeking the wisdom of the forum to their opinions of that and offer insight to this deliberation?
What color is your 991TTS? It's just my opinion, but the classic wheels look terrific on yellow...
Old 11-26-2013, 06:41 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The CL Turbo S wheels are 1/2" wider than the Turbo wheels. Same tires, however.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smuoio
What color is your 991TTS? It's just my opinion, but the classic wheels look terrific on yellow...

Basalt Black (again) I almost sure. If I had the nerve, I would do speed yellow or Guards red with black glass roof, black interior with and black Classic wheels....but that would be outside of my comfort zone..and heck, I am a little too old. Not sure the 991 looks right in those bright colours - it is more GT than sports car I think. I surely hope someone else does and posts pictures of it.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:49 PM
richk
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

I love the 991's in red...almost ordered my GT3 in red! I have been very happy with the cl's on my 997GTS
Old 11-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
Basalt Black (again) I almost sure. If I had the nerve, I would do speed yellow or Guards red with black glass roof, black interior with and black Classic wheels....but that would be outside of my comfort zone..and heck, I am a little too old. Not sure the 991 looks right in those bright colours - it is more GT than sports car I think. I surely hope someone else does and posts pictures of it.
You're NEVER too old for Guards Red,.....my 991 is GR with black sport design wheels, black inside with carbon fiber, a red gear shift trim surround, red belts, etc. When I picked it up over a year ago my dealer said it was one of the more bad-azz combos they had seen and put pictures of it in their "possibilities" book for other customers.

Every time I walk up to it I say to myself "dang I made the right decision". I used to do black specifically, but not any longer. The red is cooler, not nearly as common and much less of a maintenance ***** compared to any black.

I still like black (non-metallic) but just over it for a while.

Good luck with your choices.

Quick Reply: CL vs. Classic 20" Wheels on 991TTS