Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Turbo not what it used to be.... (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/787485-turbo-not-what-it-used-to-be.html)

enzom 06-09-2014 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by boxer-11 (Post 11427229)
Yes, but in my case the light assembly did not get removed in the process (I assume that's why you are asking(?)).

Correct. Thanks.

jwp98 06-09-2014 10:50 PM

Dealing with PCNA is not dealing at all. They are not your advocate. Best to air it out on line and squeeze the dealer. Eek I have LEDs too and low confidence in my dealer. Any updates?

boxer-11 06-10-2014 03:04 AM

I talked to the dealer today and they are retrieving the car later this week; first reasonable opportunity. PCNA has asked that they inspect the lamp assembly that went flying before they do anything like order a new part. That said, I'm told there are replacement parts on hand in the US should that become necessary Thus far I have no reason to think that this situation is going to be difficult...I mean other than the fact that you would have thought that this sort of thing shouldn't happen at all in the first place.

speed21 06-10-2014 03:18 AM

Hmm. Maybe there is a weak link somewhere in the way the light is retained for it to do that. If there is no design fault then whatever it is must need idiot proofing somewhere. I wonder if anyone has put a finger on it yet?

boxer-11 06-13-2014 08:03 PM

My faith in Porsche engineering is restored!

Apparently what happened in my case is this. I have an aftermarket radar/laser detection system in the car. In order to fit this and run wiring for the sensors at the front end of the vehicle the installer removed the headlamp assembly to get at a very convenient channel for running connections. The dealer inspected the lamp mounting plate and the mating plate on the lamp assembly that went flying and the mounting areas are in pristine condition still (the front side of the lamp assembly that skidded over the pavement was pretty torn up but the mounting area not so much). After talking with the shop that did the aftermarket work on my car, the conclusion is that when the lamp was replaced it was not correctly fastened in place completely.

Part of the reason that they were able to reach this conclusion between the dealer and the install shop is that this is a second car that had this exact same symptom recently. The other one apparently the lamp didn't hit the floor, just ended up dangling from the cable harness, but driver's side lamp popped out just like the one on mine. At any rate, the common factor was the install of the same countermeasures equipment by the same install shop by the same method.

All's well that ends well. A cautionary tale for anyone getting aftermarket work done that might involve the removal and replacement of the lamp assemblies though I guess.