Sponsored by: Road Spy

Someone please buy this Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 08:59 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
When I ordered my 991S my dealer convinced me to give the carbon MF wheel a shot,....if I didn't like it I could swap. After living with it for a few weeks I would never go with the SD no matter how "kewl" the paddles are. The stalk just blows compared to it. Being my first PDK car (manuals before) I use the console shifter anyway, but when I do use the wheel it's nice I have both up and down function on each side.

The CF MF wheel also looks fantastic,....the SD still looks a bit plasticky in the car. The paddles don't work any faster compared to the buttons or stick.

Its the same as why some people will choose black, white or some other exterior color, just different. Great we have choices.
I've used Left and Right paddle shifters on my Fiat 575M, Wife's MB CLK 550 and E350 Sport for several years, and prefer the much-maligned PDK Multi-Function wheel buttons on my Panamera and 991 C2S, despite the pundits disdain. I like using either hand to shift both up or down. While driving fast on the track, you simply can't outthink the computer so even the pros going after lap records, don't shift at all nor do I. In street driving I am using the volume control, station selector, telephone controls and changing the multi-function display far more frequently than shifting and I like doing all that without taking my hands off the steering wheel. Although the shift buttons may take a few hours of getting used to, I find them equally convenient to the paddles for shifting - and I love the precision firm feel of either carbon fiber or wood which I can get only on the multi-function wheel vs a more squishy leather or alcantera "sport" wheel. I would recommend anyone buying a new car try both wheels before deciding. My bet is they will forego "Cool" for "Convenience"
Old 11-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the exact same steering wheel on my Turbo S and I love it? Not only the multifunction convenience but the tactile feel of the combination of leather and the smoothness of the carbon fibre is incredibly sensuous. Love the look too.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by shawsan
I think this post is very telling. Please buy this TTS. Confirms opinions I have expressed elsewhere that Porsche is going to have to try to sell this car, pent up demand isn't likely. Why. Price point, major depreciation, not enough of an advance over the 997TTS, and almost none regarding styling. The 991 TTS is almost a non-event IMHO.
I don't disagree. Already been offered two cars from two different out of town dealers - so those guys have obviously exhausted their local rolodex. That takes nothing away from the car - it is fabulous by all accounts - but the 'everyday supercar' is entering Supercar Money and to your point, I think it will show in market pickup. I want one but I can't stomach another depreciation on a TTS like I did on my PDK cab. Money is too hard to earn - BUT I still might not be able to resist...
Old 11-18-2013, 08:03 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smuoio
I am picking up a launch TTS today with the same ill-conceived multi-function steering wheel ordered. The dealer agreed to change it out to the sport design. The replacement, including stalks will be done over the next few weeks.
The solution to the current steering mf wheel dilemma appears to have been resolved so to include the missing paddles (see link) but for some odd reason have not yet been cleared for those 991TTs being delivered now. I'd say by early next year the new wheel will be standard equip for a TTS. I mean they can't surely offer one in a Macan and not a TTS?

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...macan-dash.jpg
Old 11-18-2013, 09:31 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
I don't disagree. Already been offered two cars from two different out of town dealers - so those guys have obviously exhausted their local rolodex. That takes nothing away from the car - it is fabulous by all accounts - but the 'everyday supercar' is entering Supercar Money and to your point, I think it will show in market pickup. I want one but I can't stomach another depreciation on a TTS like I did on my PDK cab. Money is too hard to earn - BUT I still might not be able to resist...
Agreed, I think Porsche is going to regret not testing the waters w/ a "base" TT for a year or two before going w/ the S.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:08 PM
mathys
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would the new CL wheels fit a 997tt with CL's?
Old 11-26-2013, 03:20 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

I have a TT on order that should be here next week. My 08 turbo as delivered was 134K my 991TT will be 164. Thats 22 percent in 6 years or about 3 percent a year. Turbos have always been expensive. They are getting in used supercar territory. Few supercars including my 458 are a versitile. The market for 160 to 180 cars isn't large. A lot of the specs I have seen on the TTS have been around 200K. At that number if you are looking for an exotic a lot of other choices are available.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:59 PM
08viper1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2011 TS had the paddle shifters, but to tell the truth, I never used them because the PDK in sport plus/auto. was so outstanding. I tried to out shift the PDK a couple times, but that was not happening. It did look neat though. My new 2014 TS has the CF MF wheel and it is insane nice and I love being able to control all the functions from the wheel. The new car had a lot of stuff the play with and the PDK does not care what type of button is pushed, it immediate..

Quick Reply: Someone please buy this Turbo S