Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

A quick review

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 12:26 PM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Terrific build! From my perspective, the best I have seen. Everything perfecto! I am picking up mine today. A dealer configured launch. Same GT Silver. Black interior. They are changing out the multi-function steering wheel for a sport design, and I have them looking into changing out the folding side mirrors and Turbo wheels for the sport mirrors and Turbo S wheels, as your car is configured. Best of luck and fun with it. Will look forward to comparing notes!

sal
Old 11-15-2013, 12:32 PM
smuoio
Instructor

By the way, I am having radar installed. I will see later, but seems very discreet - something in the little round hole on the console (where the smokers pack would go) and a smallish visual alert on the steering column behind the steering wheel . sal
Old 11-15-2013, 09:43 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shixon
No radar detector here, just film, window tint and lojack. Was lucky to have the chance to spec a launch car to my taste. Have bought several cars from Hennessy and the experience has been exceptional each and every time.
I decided to add Lojack. Having it installed next Tuesday. Picked up my car this evening. I saw the Speedfilm being installed on yours. You are gonna love your car. They did a great job on your film.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:49 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smuoio
Terrific build! From my perspective, the best I have seen. Everything perfecto! I am picking up mine today. A dealer configured launch. Same GT Silver. Black interior. They are changing out the multi-function steering wheel for a sport design, and I have them looking into changing out the folding side mirrors and Turbo wheels for the sport mirrors and Turbo S wheels, as your car is configured. Best of luck and fun with it. Will look forward to comparing notes!

sal
Sal,
Are you buying a Turbo or a Turbo S? If you are buying the S, then the Sportdesign mirrors are standard (has the hole in the base). These actually can fold, but manually. They ship them folded.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:20 PM
smuoio
Instructor

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
Sal,
Are you buying a Turbo or a Turbo S? If you are buying the S, then the Sportdesign mirrors are standard (has the hole in the base). These actually can fold, but manually. They ship them folded.
Thanks for the note on the mirrors. I picked it up tonight. Turbo S. It was one of their two launch cars, optioned just about exactly opposite from what I would have done - except for the GT Silver - which I think looks terrific on the Turbo's --- so I am having them swap out most of the key things for me to get it closer to what I would have optioned. Drove it home about 30 miles in traffic tonight. Other than the standout power it seems to drive somewhat more civilly than the other 911 models I tested. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on your car. Congrats again.

sal
Old 11-16-2013, 12:56 AM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

Gents- I had the opportunity to run with SamFromTx at Motorsport Ranch track yesterday and was very impressed with his new 991 TTS. The best lap times I was able to achieve were in the 1:23xx range and he was decidedly quicker at 1:20. (I was running R-comp Trofeos, Damptronics, sways and he was on PS2s) I think he missed the 1:19s by only a 10th of a second. Very very fast indeed!

The only thing I was not impressed with was the exhaust note. Its a pretty quiet car even when at full power. I think Sam is looking at exhaust options though and my recommendation is a Euro Pipe.

I'm sure he will pipe in later with his impressions on how the rear wheel steering was affecting his times but this car is very impressive!

Walt
Old 11-16-2013, 06:57 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltB
Gents- I had the opportunity to run with SamFromTx at Motorsport Ranch track yesterday and was very impressed with his new 991 TTS. The best lap times I was able to achieve were in the 1:23xx range and he was decidedly quicker at 1:20. (I was running R-comp Trofeos, Damptronics, sways and he was on PS2s) I think he missed the 1:19s by only a 10th of a second. Very very fast indeed!

The only thing I was not impressed with was the exhaust note. Its a pretty quiet car even when at full power. I think Sam is looking at exhaust options though and my recommendation is a Euro Pipe.

I'm sure he will pipe in later with his impressions on how the rear wheel steering was affecting his times but this car is very impressive!

Walt
1:20:04, with a passenger and nearly shredded front outer stock tire on stock alignment. I have hence added 0.5 degrees negative camber to the front. In the C4S, anything more on street tires killed the inside shoulder of the inside tire and the alignment specs appear to be the same.

Your times are quite impressive and the exhaust note fantastic for a turbo. I don't know how much the RWS added to the performance (impossible to have a comparison) but considering Porsche says it shaves two seconds from the ring time, my guess is anywhere between 0.2-0.4 at MSR. Turns are definitely sweeter. You are right about the exhaust and after hearing your car, I am sold on the Europipes. I emailed them the other day. They promised to have a system ready before the end of the year but they couldn't comment on exhaust note as they are still testing.

I am going to Eagles Canyon next Saturday where my best time in the C4S was 2:03:07. I am hoping to go below the "magical" 2:00:00. Will report on that later.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:41 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Sam, what was the stock front camber before you added another 1/2 degree negative? What tires are you going to switch to? Have you swapped the ceramics for iron rotors yet, and if so any difference in feel? Also are you using OEM pads or have you swapped those? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:44 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by ajag
Sam, what was the stock front camber before you added another 1/2 degree negative? What tires are you going to switch to? Have you swapped the ceramics for iron rotors yet, and if so any difference in feel? Also are you using OEM pads or have you swapped those? Sorry for all the questions.
Stock front negative camber, if I recall correctly, was -0.3 +/-. I have stock Pirelli P Zeros on and the dealership already has my Michelin PSS to put on after a couple more of track days. Considering the speed, torque and weight of this car, R compounds like Trofeo R or PSC are not likely to last me more than one track day (5-6 X 30 min sessions, very hard driving) so I may never go to Rs. I may put a set of 19' track wheels with Hoosiers on one day but again, not sure I will. I really enjoy lapping people who have R compounds on their fast cars. Also, R comps need a lot more negative camber (-2.5-3) and the car won't do that without modification. Can't drive it much on the street with that much negative camber as it'll eat the inner shoulders. Since this is my daily driver, my best compromise is using the PSS, which are a bit less sticky than the the PZeros but they last a bit longer and don't blister as much in the summer.

I have on order Pagid RSC pads (http://www.pagidracing.com/products/pagid-rsc/) that are specifically made for ceramic brakes. I will likely change to steels as soon as I see some rotor wear but since the new rotors are supposedly different (?better) than the previous generation, I am interested in seeing how they hold out. If/when I swap, I will either wait for Performance Friction or Brembo to come out with something that works for this car. Alternatively, I will switch to Porsche steel rotors (380 mm front and rear) and Pagid RS 29 pads.The steels will add a lot of unsprung weight but since I am not chasing 1/10th second in lap times, they would work just fine.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Rennteam
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The yellow "S" looks very aftermarket and does not really fit the 991 Turbo S too well. Get rid of it. This is a Porsche, not a Nissan.

Otherwise, beautiful car, enjoy in good health.

Regarding the (somehow) muted exhaust sound: Porsche wasn't able to add more sound without violating certain sound emissions laws. They tried, even tried a titanium exhaust system to lower weight further. Btw: Sound is the same in Sport and Sport Plus mode, no need to drive in Sport Plus all the time, especially on public roads.

Regarding compound tires for the track: Due to the AWS system, it is essential to use only Porsche approved tires. There are too many parameters/electronics involved, aftermarket tires can react very badly under certain situations at the limit. Porsche has approved the Dunlop SportMaxx N-rated tire for the 991 Turbo S, this is actually the same tire they use for most delivered 991 GT3. It is a very good tire, maybe not as fast as the Trofeo but it leaves some rain/public road capabilities left, which is a good thing.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:30 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rennteam
The yellow "S" looks very aftermarket and does not really fit the 991 Turbo S too well. Get rid of it. This is a Porsche, not a Nissan.

Otherwise, beautiful car, enjoy in good health.

Regarding the (somehow) muted exhaust sound: Porsche wasn't able to add more sound without violating certain sound emissions laws. They tried, even tried a titanium exhaust system to lower weight further. Btw: Sound is the same in Sport and Sport Plus mode, no need to drive in Sport Plus all the time, especially on public roads.
Thanks for your input. We all have different tastes and I happen to love the stock "S" painted in yellow. My car has many yellow touches to it, including deviated stitching on the seats and steering wheel as well as the "Turbo S" script on the door sill inserts, not to mention the PCCBs. Again, it is a matter of taste and I will be keeping mine. If someone mistakes the car for a Nissan, then I don't I really care about what that person thinks.

In regards to the exhaust, your information is incorrect. The sound is muffled because the car is a Turbo, simple. On the naturally aspirated Carreras and GT3, the stock sound is significantly better and louder, and it sure complies with all emission laws.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:47 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Sam, how many track miles do you have on so far, and have you noticed if the tire wear has been more even w/ the PDCC/RWS combo? Any issues w/ overheating on the track?
Old 12-07-2013, 03:01 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by ajag
Sam, how many track miles do you have on so far, and have you noticed if the tire wear has been more even w/ the PDCC/RWS combo? Any issues w/ overheating on the track?
Hi ajag,

I have done the equivalent of 3 full track days (each day is about 150 miles) with the Trubo S so far (35 on the C4S this year) and the one noticeable issue is tire wear. The C4S (also had PDCC) would last me 5 or 6 (very aggressive) track days and I would need a new set. The rears wore out a bit more than the fronts. After one and a half day with the TTS, I shredded the front outer tire and had it replaced. The car came with the P Zeros and I now have a new set of PSS. Those were supposed to get tried today, together with the new Pagid RSCs but weather cancelled it. I added half a degree of negative camber to the front and about a quarter to the rears. If you are going to track a lot and aggressively, talk to your mechanic about more negative camber. I am leaving toe as stock for now.

No overheating whatsoever but the weather has been quite cool lately. However, I think the ECU drops the power output a hair later into the sessions, making me think it's reaching a temperature it doesn't like (? intercoolers). I can't tell by lap times alone because by that time my tires have gotten greasy and I run slower anyway. July/August would tell for sure.

Sam
Old 12-08-2013, 10:03 AM
smuoio
Instructor

Sam, do you know what specifically happens when the "PDCC" button on the console is engaged? Can't really tell from the manual and the dealer explanation that the button has nothing to do with PDCC doesn't make sense to me. I just passed 1,000 miles this week and am still working on understanding how all the technology works together.

sal
Old 12-08-2013, 11:58 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by smuoio
Sam, do you know what specifically happens when the "PDCC" button on the console is engaged? Can't really tell from the manual and the dealer explanation that the button has nothing to do with PDCC doesn't make sense to me. I just passed 1,000 miles this week and am still working on understanding how all the technology works together.

sal
Hi Sal,
The PDCC is supposed to keep the car "level" in turns (the equivalent of a firmer suspension). I initially thought it firms up the suspension on the outside during turns but it actually firms up the antiroll bars. I'm sure it makes some difference but outside of noticing less roll with it, I have noticed little or no time difference in lap times. That said, I turn it off in the rain, where there is little, albeit noticeable, improvement in grip during turns. Interestingly, I find it more noticeable on the street, where ride comfort noticeably changes.
Sam

Quick Reply: A quick review