Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Launch customer who is not pleased... (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/774781-launch-customer-who-is-not-pleased.html)

Sulaiman 09-18-2013 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Rennteam (Post 10764329)
More expensive? Do you pay for the CL system on a Turbo S? ;)
Or does Porsche charge extra money for the two (non-CL, 5 lug) alternatives? ;)
Why CL? Well...good point. It looks better. (cannot find any better arguments...right now)

it looks better /??????

IT LOOKS MUCH BETTER

let me put it this way .... good look, good designe vs UGLY Wheel

yes yes i said it the Turbo wheels looks so ugly and so audi

Rennteam 09-18-2013 06:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
CL torque has been changed (lowered) significantly. The Turbo S wheel requires, to my knowledge, only 100 Nm (75 ft.lbs). See photo.

Anders 09-18-2013 08:33 AM

Torque spec is still 600nm. The 100nm on the bolt refers to the emergency procedure, torque to 100nm and then tighten the bolt until "stop" is where "100nm" was.

carcommander 09-18-2013 10:34 AM

I orderd center locks on my non S turbo because I like the look. Unless you are going to track the car, how many of you are going to do your own tire work? If you are not then who cares. If you are getting an S, I would not do my own tire work period. If you chip one of your rotors you are not going like the cost. Most tire changes on a turbo are going to be done by a pro.

FastLaneTurbo 09-18-2013 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rennteam (Post 10769225)
CL torque has been changed (lowered) significantly. The Turbo S wheel requires, to my knowledge, only 100 Nm (75 ft.lbs). See photo.

75 Ft. Lbs.!!!!??????
PCA would never permit any 911 to go on a racetrack with ANY wheel-holding
Bolt Torqued to only 75 Ft. Lbs - even a wheel held on with 5 Bolts where the total torque is 75 X 5 (375 Ft. Lbs) I respectfully suggest you check your CL Recommended Torque Values again with Porsche.:rtfm:

FastLaneTurbo 09-18-2013 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by carcommander (Post 10769478)
I orderd center locks on my non S turbo because I like the look. Unless you are going to track the car, how many of you are going to do your own tire work? If you are not then who cares. If you are getting an S, I would not do my own tire work period. If you chip one of your rotors you are not going like the cost. Most tire changes on a turbo are going to be done by a pro.

Carcommander, I agree with you that Centerlock wheels are "better looking" and
"Racier-Looking" than 5 Lug wheels, but IMHO "Function" trumps "Looks".
If you attend any HPDE event, you will notice that many of us DO track our Turbos and buy them just because they are such great dual-purpose (DD & Track) cars.

You are also correct that wheel removal can easily chip a Ceramic Rotor and
require a $5,000 replacement - which would ruin anyone's day.

I do not believe you are correct in assuming that any "Pro" that happened to be in range when needed to fix your flat tire, (even at a racetrack, tire facility, or repair shop) would automatically have the special tools, equipment and training to perform a wheel removal on Centerlock wheels precisely in accordance with Porsche procedures and be incapable of chipping one of your very expensive rotors.:thumbup:

keithos27 09-18-2013 04:28 PM

Are CLs really an issue when you need a flat tire to be fixed? I will not track my car... but am curious what is the procedure to get a flat fixed if I have CLs? Have to get my car towed to Porsche?

FastLaneTurbo 09-18-2013 07:31 PM

The Porsche uses high speed Z rated tires. It is illegal for a shop to insert a plug in a Z-Rated tire and most gas stations and tire shops know this and will not do this. Since Porsche does not come with spare tires, it must be towed to a facility which can replace the tire which requires removing a wheel. Often this will be a tire store or gas station, unless you are lucky enough for it to have happened close to a Porsche Dealer.
It is a safe bet that the tire store or gas station will not have the tools to remove Centerlock Wheels nor have a clue on the procedures to remove it safely avoiding dinging your ceramic rotors and retorque the CL wheel for you.

Rennteam 09-21-2013 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Anders (Post 10769302)
Torque spec is still 600nm. The 100nm on the bolt refers to the emergency procedure, torque to 100nm and then tighten the bolt until "stop" is where "100nm" was.

Not sure I understand ("emergency procedure"). Do you have any Porsche literature regarding this?

Speaking of the need of special tools: If someone thinks that the risk of getting a flat tire is high, I would buy that special tool from Porsche (700 EUR last time I checked but maybe there is a new, cheaper, one or maybe they lowered the price tag?) and keep it in the car for any occasion.
I agree that handling CL and the PCCB brakes can be a challenge for smaller tire shops but I live in Germany and we have a Porsche dealership in a 60 kph radius everywhere, so not really a problem. Doesn't Porsche have some sort of driver assist system in case of repair emergencies in the US?

Anders 09-21-2013 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rennteam (Post 10776224)
Not sure I understand ("emergency procedure"). Do you have any Porsche literature regarding this?

If you for some reason need to install the wheel without the proper torque wrench for CL wheels you can use the so called emergency procedure using a regular torque wrench tightening the wheel to 100nm then use the position of the bolt relative to the wheel to tighten it more properly. You can drive the car like this but need to use a proper torque wrench asap.

This is all described in the owner's manual for 997 CL cars (haven't seen any owm for 991 CL cars yet) but the procedure is the same for the 991 cars. Just look it up in the workshop manual: WM 440519 Removing and installing wheel with central bolt.

carcommander 09-21-2013 02:18 PM

I keep a plug kit in all my cars. I ran a gas station in HS and have done it many times. Having 5 lug wheels out in the boon docks is not going to help you. They are not going to have a replacement tire. If it can be patched it can be plugged. I would then replace the tire ASAP. I would not run a patched or plugged tire for any longer than necessary.

Overdraft 09-21-2013 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rams86 (Post 10734947)
I have speced a new TTS and was told the order needed to finalized by 7/24 for a 9/06 build and 12/15 delivery. I wasn't thriilled about having to spec the car without seeing it or being able to see some of the new color options in person but ok fine, I get it.

One of the things I wasnt thrilled about were the wheel options and I have never liked CL's. I'm frustrated to see they now are now adding thinks to the configurator like new 5-lug wheel options and back-up cameras.

This adding of options after my build is locked is really frustrating to me! I thought the center stack buttons on the TTS looked rather cheap as there were 10 buttons but 5 of them are blank which seems stupid for a supposedly top-of-line car. If these spaces now get filled with options I idint have the chance to consider, I will be really irritated. Porsche can be so frustrating in how they launch cars....Attachment 758899

Talk to your dealer about him simply calling his list on your car coming - and you order one equipped as you want? There is supposed to be a captive market now (which I don't believe exists to the purported degree actually) but if there is, there will be a happy guy to get the launch car while you wait 4 months or so for yours equipped as you wish. It is always interesting as the "better order today I only have 4 cars and twenty deposit cheques' will now be "jeez...that is a pretty specific car you got there and......"

Rennteam 09-21-2013 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Anders (Post 10776307)
If you for some reason need to install the wheel without the proper torque wrench for CL wheels you can use the so called emergency procedure using a regular torque wrench tightening the wheel to 100nm then use the position of the bolt relative to the wheel to tighten it more properly. You can drive the car like this but need to use a proper torque wrench asap.

This is all described in the owner's manual for 997 CL cars (haven't seen any owm for 991 CL cars yet) but the procedure is the same for the 991 cars. Just look it up in the workshop manual: WM 440519 Removing and installing wheel with central bolt.

Thanks, now I understand. Haven't found anything for the 991 GT3 or Turbo S yet, the related literature seems to be missing from my source and I do not have direct access to the Porsche system today.
I will know for sure in exactly two weeks, when I pick up my 991 Turbo S.

I am actually pretty sure they changed something, last time I talked about CL on the 991, I've been told there have been significant improvements regarding the tool and force your need to mount a rim but maybe I misunderstood it.

Rennteam 09-21-2013 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by carcommander (Post 10776506)
I keep a plug kit in all my cars. I ran a gas station in HS and have done it many times. Having 5 lug wheels out in the boon docks is not going to help you. They are not going to have a replacement tire. If it can be patched it can be plugged. I would then replace the tire ASAP. I would not run a patched or plugged tire for any longer than necessary.

Patching/plugging a tire is OK for emergency situations but you need to keep the speed down (50 mph max. speed is recommended) to be safe and I wouldn't go for longer distances with that tire. This should be fast enough to get you anywhere close to a Porsche dealer or high quality tire shop.

Anders 09-21-2013 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rennteam (Post 10776540)
Thanks, now I understand. Haven't found anything for the 991 GT3 or Turbo S yet, the related literature seems to be missing from my source and I do not have direct access to the Porsche system today.
I will know for sure in exactly two weeks, when I pick up my 991 Turbo S.

I am actually pretty sure they changed something, last time I talked about CL on the 991, I've been told there have been significant improvements regarding the tool and force your need to mount a rim but maybe I misunderstood it.

991 GT3 info is just starting to show up in PIWIS and the CL info is there.

They changed several things with the CL system but installation / removal is identical to the 997 cars.