Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Here is my spec...why am I not more excited about this car?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Rams86
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here is my spec...why am I not more excited about this car?!

I placed my 991 TTS deposit 20-months ago when I consigned my 2011 Turbo S at Barrier Porsche here in Seattle. Attached below is the pretty neutral spec I submitted a few weeks ago. The build is scheduled for 9/06 and delivery is projected at 12/15.

I don't know why, but I'm not very excited about waitting for this car to arrive. Why? I dont want to come off as a whiner but I need something to knock the reality back into me!

Is it because I really dislike the look of the CL wheels but thought the 5-lug were too busy and looked even worse? (I hated the look of the 997 turbo S wheels and ordered the 5-lugs which I thought looked great and were much more user friendly)

Is it the freaky tacked-on looking Panamera LED light up front that just looks off to me? (a solid bar would look much cleaner IMO)

Is it because I had to order the car without being able to see color alternatives like Rhodium, or knowing what kind of reviews the car will receive?

Is it the lack of any real world reviews to this point and having GT3-envy because of all the glowing reviews that car is receiving? (at almost $35k less!)

Is it because I'm not getting the car until late December and by time the roads in the NW are clear in early spring the 2015's will be right around the corner?

The price also leaves me feeling like i'm making yet another horrible decision knowing the car will probably depreciate $70k in two years!

This is least anticipation and excitement I have felt for any of the Porsche cars I have purchased and I drink the Kool-Aid when it comes to Porsche. I hope the car will knock my socks off as I usually find I love the Porsche design cues more in person than seeing them in pictures.

I guess I had no real prurpose in this post other than relaying my spec and seeing if there are others out there feeling the same way!

Description* * Info* *Price*
911 Turbo S $181,100
White 0Q $0
Leather Interior in Black AZ $0
Instrument dials in White XFJ $860
Seat ventilation (front) 541 $840
PDK gear selector in Aluminum XYA $740
Light Design Package 630 $510
Sport Chrono clock dial in White CGJ $500
Porsche Crest on headrests XSC $285
20-inch 911 Turbo S wheel 435 $0
Smoking package 583 $0
Adap Sport Seats Plus (18-way) P07 $0
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) 250 $0
Interior package painted EER $0
Centyer console trim in leather XHB $0
Seat heating (front) 342 $0
Destination $950
TOTAL PRICE $185,785
Old 08-06-2013, 11:53 PM
mdwac
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

Recognizing that we both are at risk for major flame attack ("let me get this straight....you are complaining about ordering a new TTS")..........I have a similar feeling.

I have ordered one as well and will get it a month or two after you. I am a P-car guy through and through...they make the stuff and I buy it...everytime. The combination of engineering excellence, super car performance and daily reliability is something i can not pass up.

As it relates to this car....I think the pure excitement i used to feel is dampened mainly b/c I have done this before. But also by the fact that as a non-track guy...the performance of these cars (and the 991, Cayman S...heck even Cayenee TT) is so phenomenal that you cant scratch 10% of it on the on ramps and winding roads of the US. My first car was a 996 and progressively the pure "seat of the pants" performance improvement of each succeeding model has just diminished over time.

Visually....I will bet on the "over"...i think the second these hit the roads they will make the 997TTs look dated. I think they will be beautiful. But you are correct as to the financial aspect...unfortunately the smartest person in the room is the one who waits 18 months for the 5K mile cars to start to get traded in for 25% discount!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:07 AM
toplabels
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My humble opinion is that you are thinking this toooooo much. If younare getting the car enjoy the experience. It will probably blow you away the day its delivered. Sometimes in life our eyes become accustomed to certain things and it takes time to embrace new ones.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:05 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Having a car on order for that long will definitely cause moments of doubt. I have doubts about the looks still honestly, not having seen it in person, but the fact that I have loved the 991 chassis so far, and what I have read regarding the RWS in the GT3 reviews, has me looking forward to the car immensely. I initially hated the shape of the front LEDs c/w the carrera, which I think broadens the width of that car as it extends around the sides. But the more I see the TT, with the headlights curves extending down into the LEDS, and the extra width in back, I think it will lend the car a more "bullet" shape than the standard width coke bottle. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:33 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

I don't think you get quite the same hit after doing this a few times. I have one on order too. Once they hit and start being reviewed your appitite will be greater. Then it will be too late too order one and get it anytime soon. In the past I enjoyed my turbos much more than my GT3RS. If you get an early turbo and decide you don't like it you should not lose much if you resell quickly. It is smarter to wait and get a used one. However you won't get exactly what you want.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Rams86
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are correct Ajag that the long wait is creating many moments of doubt. I love the look of the new 991 chasis and think its a big step forward from the 997. It does suck that you have to place the order "blind" and Barrier has told me they will let me pass on the car if i see it and it leaves me flat. I agree Carcommander that ordering new is the only way to get the vehicle you want but these cars sure to depreciate at breathtaking rates. I hoppe everyone is correct in that we will love this car when we see it in the flesh. Porsche has never disappointed in my book. I sure hope the car has some version of the the GT3 sterring box and that the PDK also has some enhancements beyond just being beefier due to the high hp. Time will tell!
Old 08-08-2013, 11:29 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

carcommander is right, once the reviews start trickling in (hopefully they are positive lol) then all our appetites will be whetted.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:53 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in the same place. I've built two cars previously with long waits so maybe it's just getting old, but also, I think it's what I was driving before those builds so that this one isn't as exciting in relative terms. The fact that we can't drive one or stand there looking at it for hours on Saturday morning is part of it. In any case, I'm sure I will enjoy it when it arrives.

Quick Reply: Here is my spec...why am I not more excited about this car?!