Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Will the 991 Turbo S crush the 997 Turbo S in 0-60mph?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:45 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't forget the 991 TTS now sends more torque to the front wheels because of the water cooled differential. This, more torque, minimally less weight and faster PDK make me believe it will be faster than the 997. As mentioned above, I too doubt that a 0.2 sec difference will be perceptible to most, including me.
Kosmo, I saw a ring time of 7:27 somewhere, which is pretty impressive considering the 991 GT3 on R compound tires did 7:25.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Rennteam
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best (review done by a car magazine) 0-100 kph (62 mph) time so far seems to be 2.8 seconds.
Best 0-200 kph (125 mph) time seems to be 9.6 seconds.
Best 0-300 kph (187.5 mph) time seems to be 29.7 seconds.
Sport Auto tested the 991 Turbo S in Hockenheim Kleiner Kurs (a short track with lots of curves) FASTER than the new 991 GT3 but the tested car had (optional) Dunlop sport tires on it, not the regular PZero street tires. Still, pretty impressive and a lot of GT3 lovers were quite p.ss.d about it.
So with the same tires (Dunlop SportMaxx), the 991 Turbo S will be faster on the Nordschleife than the GT3, this is for sure.

Regarding TUNING: The main reason tuning is difficult is the fuel pressure and the size of the fuel injectors. You need to push more fuel through the injectors, so this means you need to operated with a pretty high pressure. Unfortunately it is very difficult to do that since bigger injectors cannot be used. This means that raising the boost pressure may impress the eye (wow...1.4 bar instead of 1.2 bar...) but not really result in a substantial performance gain. Just compare tuned 997.2 Turbo models with their non-tuned counter parts and you'll understand. Of course if you ignore emissions laws, etc., you can achieve quite a lot with different exhaust/intake systems, turbo chargers, bla bla bla but in the end, this would be a different car with some serious issues due to the missing adaptation to the new AWS and PTM/AWD system. My advice is: Stay away from any ECU tuning. You have been warned.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I think the 991 Turbo and 991 Turbo S are both quite serious contenders as daily drivers capable of an exciting track day. That's where the 991 turbos might "crush" the 997.2 turbos.
Where the 991 falls flat on its face is the sticker shock. I just hate to think about resale value on those cars -- their price will fall as if pulled by the gravity of their curb weight.
I absolutely love the new look of the new 991 911 however VW taking it up market, whatever in the hell that means - just charging more for it and offering an S Model right out of the gate too- just reinforces the greed machine.

I have I don't know how many times outfitted some 911 Turbo, non S vers, and I always seem to be clocking out at damn near $200 and that is silly for a Porsche, I mean like come on. And some of the add-ons for instance...

Porsche Entry & Drive - $1090 - That is something I have for free on my Prius!
Adaptive Cruise Control - $2490 - Now that option is about 7-10 times overpriced!
Sport Seats Plus Backrest Shells in Leather - $1870 - that is about the only option I would pay for, oh that and the steering column leather wrap.

But what I don't get is why doesn't Porsche add the entire Deviated stitching Packages Amongst the configurators? As far as I can tell from the Sonnen Build thread in the normal 911 Forum is it comes out to about $2350.

But what really, really takes the CAKE is the cost of the Air Vents in Leather at $1710 and Air Vent Slats in Leather at $1190 and funnier still is you cannot add the two together during the same build, why?

I know of a Quality Shops in Los Angeles that would be more than happy to do that work for you at fraction of the cost and I'm not talking about that IDIOT from the West Cost Customs Car Shop who has more talent talking that he does working!

I'm no early Adopter but I'm going to have to cool my heels on this one. I want a new turbo so bad but watching the price of the 997.2 Turbo S's coming down in price what can a man do. That and the new Scion FRS and Subaru BRZ are damn fun alternatives at a fraction of the price if you wish TRD to get involved.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I absolutely love the new look of the new 991 911 however VW taking it up market, whatever in the hell that means - just charging more for it and offering an S Model right out of the gate too- just reinforces the greed machine.

I have I don't know how many times outfitted some 911 Turbo, non S vers, and I always seem to be clocking out at damn near $200 and that is silly for a Porsche, I mean like come on. And some of the add-ons for instance...

Porsche Entry & Drive - $1090 - That is something I have for free on my Prius!
Adaptive Cruise Control - $2490 - Now that option is about 7-10 times overpriced!
Sport Seats Plus Backrest Shells in Leather - $1870 - that is about the only option I would pay for, oh that and the steering column leather wrap.

But what I don't get is why doesn't Porsche add the entire Deviated stitching Packages Amongst the configurators? As far as I can tell from the Sonnen Build thread in the normal 911 Forum is it comes out to about $2350.

But what really, really takes the CAKE is the cost of the Air Vents in Leather at $1710 and Air Vent Slats in Leather at $1190 and funnier still is you cannot add the two together during the same build, why?

I know of a Quality Shops in Los Angeles that would be more than happy to do that work for you at fraction of the cost and I'm not talking about that IDIOT from the West Cost Customs Car Shop who has more talent talking that he does working!

I'm no early Adopter but I'm going to have to cool my heels on this one. I want a new turbo so bad but watching the price of the 997.2 Turbo S's coming down in price what can a man do. That and the new Scion FRS and Subaru BRZ are damn fun alternatives at a fraction of the price if you wish TRD to get involved.
Reading my mind...although everytime I think "I'll show them and buy something else"...I step back and know I will never be happy. It sucks to be a die hard Porsche guy....
Old 12-14-2013, 02:44 PM
08viper1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going from a 2011 TS that ran 10.87 s in the quarter to my new 991 TS that runs 10.63 in the quarter,that is 2 and a half cars ahead of the 997 TS in the quarter and pulling away..(Huge distance in 10 sec,cars.)The 991 is faster and quicker and no comparison on a long track. Besides the 991 TS is way nicer in every way...Ya,lot $$$,but worth it..As for tuning,not needed,10 second street car is so Bad ***...
Old 12-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Rennteam
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08viper1
Going from a 2011 TS that ran 10.87 s in the quarter to my new 991 TS that runs 10.63 in the quarter,that is 2 and a half cars ahead of the 997 TS in the quarter and pulling away..(Huge distance in 10 sec,cars.)The 991 is faster and quicker and no comparison on a long track. Besides the 991 TS is way nicer in every way...Ya,lot $$$,but worth it..As for tuning,not needed,10 second street car is so Bad ***...
I would also like to add that the 991 Turbo S isn't only slightly faster but also sounds better, is more fun to drive (all-wheel-steering, new AWD/PTM setup) and just feels more alive than the old one. It is difficult to describe. Or to use Chris Harris' words: The new Turbo S has, for the first time, a soul. He never liked the previous 911 Turbo/S generations.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:09 PM
08viper1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly...

Quick Reply: Will the 991 Turbo S crush the 997 Turbo S in 0-60mph?